Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

New Epcot Shows (The Land, Canada, China, France)

Personally my favorite of the three new films. Love Catherine O’Hara and Eugene Levy, but agree they could’ve used their comedic chops a little more. I don’t remember too much of the earlier films, but this version definitely had a “front” which I enjoyed. I wasn’t constantly spinning feeling like I was missing stuff. It felt very traditionally Epcot, it’s a solid update.

Adding the BatB movie to this because we need to talk about it.

Everyone, EVERYONE, who has seen this says it's one of the worst things Disney has ever done. I am gobsmaked they took something with such a blow bar and they managed to not even cross that.

Everyone, EVERYONE, who has seen this says it's one of the worst things Disney has ever done. I am gobsmaked they took something with such a blow bar and they managed to not even cross that.
No live actors either like the Frozen sing-a-long, which I was sure was something they originally mentioned.

A review by user ptaylor over on Magic basically says it all:

“Saw the new Sing-Along - few quick impressions.

No live actors, uses only a fraction of the IDF screen, cringeworthy sing-along elements - overall something that I would expect to see on a DVD bonus feature, not as a theme park attraction.

I was not a fan of the Frozen sing-along, but that is significantly better than Beauty and the Beast Sing-Along.

I expect most people will see this once, and not return.”

I have no plans to ever see this. I’ll be at the park tomorrow to see Far and Wide and Awesome Planet. I will be seeing IDF at one of the 4 showings it will have tomorrow night.

Everyone, EVERYONE, who has seen this says it's one of the worst things Disney has ever done.

I always try to root for quality work to be done in these parks, but...
star-wars-9-theory-emperor-palpatine.gif

It sounds like Awesome Planet and Canada Far & Wide are really exceeding people's expectations which is fantastic.
I’m so glad that the Original films were done with care and are being well received while the IP film is a big bust.

The real question is if they made a BatB show so bad that even the GP rejects it.

Saw all 3 films yesterday and they’re essentially gonna just be ways to get out of the heat for me.

Out of the 3 previewed yesterday I liked this one the best simply cause I thought the message was the best.

However, I got literally none of the effects due to where I was seated so if the effects are important to you I’d highly recommend trying to sit anywhere but the end of a row.

“No videos allowed”
*looks at pic and sees everyone on their phone*
*looks at next two tweets to see videos posted*

Never change American theme park visitors, never change...

I have zero desire to see this. LaFou being the protagonist is one of the dumbest moves yet.
Impressions of France was great too.

If everyone who takes a survey makes sure to pan BatB, maybe it’ll change. Though who am I kidding. I’m so cynical in my old age that I have no faith in the WDW parkgoer. As much as Disney is to blame for these moves, the acceptance of the GP with their Mac n cheese mentalities makes me not have much hope for anything outside of the continued dumbing down of Epcot.

The Canada film and Awesome Planet are beautiful

I wish they would have done more with the "theater" for Awesome Planet, but it is a great short film

BatB makes me want to cancel my pass

The quality, or lack of, of the BatB sing along concept film, reminds me of the hurried Olaf on a Stick show that Disney hurried into DHS when caught flat footed by Frozen's theatrical success. This is sooooo 'lame'. Disney's been really good recently, but this is their nadir....And the fact that it's replacing the very enjoyable & well done France film for most of the day is sad, really sad.

I’m not as purist as some when it comes to World Showcase, but I hope BatB fails hard.

Nobody in the industry purposefully green-lights terrible ideas, but this was a solution in search of a problem. And the “success” of its peer - the Frozen Singalong - had more to do with the fact that it extinguished the burning pile of cash that was American Idol.

I’m not as purist as some when it comes to World Showcase, but I hope BatB fails hard.

Nobody in the industry purposefully green-lights terrible ideas, but this was a solution in search of a problem. And the “success” of its peer - the Frozen Singalong - had more to do with the fact that it extinguished the burning pile of cash that was American Idol.
The Frozen Sing-along is actually not bad though. It's nothing great and we could have better, but it's good enough and people really enjoy it. The live actors is a major separator difference between the two. Without the live actors, a sing-along is just a sad thing to throw into a theme park. Also, people will be less inclined to sing if there isn't live singers encouraging a crowd to sing-a-long. It's just sort of awkward and something i'd expect on Disney+ (they literally just put a sing-along version of HSM: The series on today).

Agreed on the live actors, but unless they spent extra money to add equity performers, their hands were probably tied on that front with respect to using international program people.

Adding equity to the existing labor running IDF probably tanks the project.

Agreed on the live actors, but unless they spent extra money to add equity performers, their hands were probably tied on that front with respect to using international program people.

Adding equity to the existing labor running IDF probably tanks the project.
Frozen uses equity so I imagine if performers were in this they'd be equity as well.

We literally have the Beauty and the Beast show at DHS AND Story Time with Belle at Magic Kingdom, both of which already tell the same story. Are we out of ideas Disney?
The other thing that kills me is, if we had to throw some IP show in there, do something with Hunchback. It has no park presence and it fits in with the France pavilion much better than a fairy tale with a loose connection to France.