Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Spaceship Earth: Our Shared Story

I'm strongly hoping they add minor touches to everything until the internet part and then most anything they do will be positive. I wish they would bring back the city-scape in the top, but I've pretty much given up on that dream. There is some cool stuff they could do with projections with the dome and the star field areas though.

So Martin has said he doesn't know of characters being in this ride, but at the same time he doesn't trust them not to add characters.

Also, this is gonna be a two-year closure and may not open until Winter 2021 at the earliest.

What I get from the update is that communication is changed into story telling. A sparkling projecting follows you along and gives narration. Scene's will be plussed (probably with projections).
Why this all happens in the "World Celebration" part of Epcot and what it's connection is beyond me. But the upgrade doesn't feel too bad although I'm worried it's going to be over explanatory.
I'm positive the stories told in the ride will have connections with Disney's ip catalog to sell more merch.

A downtime of that length has to mean the ride system is getting serious work done to it. Otherwise, if many/most of the major scenes prior to the descent are remaining and only being "plussed," two years seems like far too long a time just to do that and to (presumably) add some scenes to the descent.

Also, disappointed that it appears I have taken my last ride on this attraction before the changes -- the quality of which we don't yet know -- are implemented.

So it looks like SSE will be getting a subtitle - "Spaceship Earth: Our Shared Story". This from The Epcot Experience preview center:
dsc09045.jpg

New Attraction Poster:
dsc09123.jpg

"Spaceship Earth Our Shared Story" Attraction Poster and Video May Hint at Attraction Renaming - Blog Mickey

I'm assuming the tree removal and demolition around both sides of SSE is partly to re-route pathways while they work on SSE. Every time I look at SSE I marvel at the way the made the show building a feature. The problem is it's very difficult to access for any kind of major work since it straddles the entrance.

Reposting this:

I noticed no touch screens on the vehicles, good. I'll probably head to Epcot for a little bit in April to say goodbye one last time.

So now Egypt will light up as a Christmas tree? Education light it thrown out of the globe. I don't care but why not retheme the park and not make it half baked Epcot.

So now Egypt will light up as a Christmas tree? Education light it thrown out of the globe. I don't care but why not retheme the park and not make it half baked Epcot.
I suspect there is going to be projection mapping everywhere in this ride after this redo. It seems to be Disney's go to trick for the last 6 years.

I love spaceship earth, but it’s more than ready for this redo. The ride is a marvel and a classic, but it feels so tired. I don’t love the idea of incorporating IPs at all. But I am on board with the idea of “storytelling”. It feels more “human” than the concept of communication. I think it’s actually a really smart way to blend the new with the old, as they make Epcot more “Disney” or whatever they’re trying to sell us lol.

I’m happy they’re updating old scenes. I’m happy they’re replacing some with new scenes. Projections? All for it. I think we can move past the “projections aren’t creative” argument. Every attraction now will have some element of projections, and I have no doubt this ride will remain largely practical.

Im nervous, yes. But I’m excited anyway. Just please don’t let this take 2 years lol.

I love spaceship earth, but it’s more than ready for this redo. The ride is a marvel and a classic, but it feels so tired. I don’t love the idea of incorporating IPs at all. But I am on board with the idea of “storytelling”. It feels more “human” than the concept of communication. I think it’s actually a really smart way to blend the new with the old, as they make Epcot more “Disney” or whatever they’re trying to sell us lol.

I’m happy they’re updating old scenes. I’m happy they’re replacing some with new scenes. Projections? All for it. I think we can move past the “projections aren’t creative” argument. Every attraction now will have some element of projections, and I have no doubt this ride will remain largely practical.

Im nervous, yes. But I’m excited anyway. Just please don’t let this take 2 years lol.
I've always liked SE, one of my fav attractions.....BUT, on this past trip we rode it and it's finally feeling really outdated to me, for whatever reason. Just finally got old, I guess, especially doing the quiz on the vehicle's video screen. . So, i'm looking forward to the redo, just as a way to refresh my feelings for the attraction.....and I probably won't go back to Epcot until it, and the rest of the Future World redo, is finished. It's quite a mess at this stage of the game.

Grab your salt lick because in today's Disney Disney, Jim says the SSE redo will be open before the 50th (16 month refurb) at the latest and possibly as early as this winter.

If Disney won't invest the time and money into fixing the ride system then don't even bother.

So Martin has said two to three years.

Hill says less than eighteen months (possibly less than a year).

Quite a disparity! Or perhaps the scope has diminished.

Grab your salt lick because in today's Disney Disney, Jim says the SSE redo will be open before the 50th (16 month refurb) at the latest and possibly as early as this winter.

If Disney won't invest the time and money into fixing the ride system then don't even bother.
If that's true then all this refurb is is installing a bunch of projection mapping equipment and swiffering the place. I'd rather the ride stay closed and miss the 50th and get a real refurb. The track is in really bad shape right now.