Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm... the large awnings at the entrance of IOA is the only place I can think of that would be safe if not crowded during a storm. Then there are the arches at US and the covered buildings overlooking the waterfront in City Walk.

Hm... the large awnings at the entrance of IOA is the only place I can think of that would be safe if not crowded during a storm. Then there are the arches at US and the covered buildings overlooking the waterfront in City Walk.
I like the Backwater but get there early it fills up fast in a storm.
Sometimes I hedge my spot getting there at open and staying til the rain is over........ :cheers::toast::thumbsup:

Last edited:
How about this one:

A thunderstorm happens at 2pm. 80% of guests take off their masks. TMs look at each other in confusion. TMs run around and eventually make everyone put on their masks.

The next day, a thunderstorm happens at 2pm. 80% of guests take off their masks. TMs look at each other in confusion. TMs run around and eventually make everyone put on their masks.

The next day, a thunderstorm happens at 2pm. 80% of guests take off their masks. TMs look at each and remember the conversation they had in their team meeting that morning where their manager said “don’t worry about enforcing it outside anymore”.

I worry about this much more at Disney than I do at Universal.

I think mask adoption will not be an issue at UOR. My worry when it comes to thunderstorms is where do the people go? If you're limiting people in shops, restaurants, queues, and indoor areas where will 10k-15k people go?
Good point. And some areas have almost nowhere to go. Seuss is basically- cram into Cat in the Hat exit gift shop.

And that’s when the masks will come off to wipe their faces or whatever. And then you’re in an exposed area for a much longer period of time. And a long exposure time is a much bigger issue vs the short exposure time you would encounter from anything outdoors.

I worry about this much more at Disney than I do at Universal.
Totally. Disney certainly has way more entitled guests attending.

Note that the only reason I think enforcement (at least outdoors) is going to fall by the wayside is because of the people that will be going.
If everyone who normally came to universal would go, I think mask compliance would be fine.

But the people who are going to be going to UOR during this time (outside of bloggers), will be people who are ok with assuming a risk. I also think the people who are going don’t care nearly as much about masks as someone who is a universal fan but absolutely wont go until COVID slows down or there is a better treatment- even with enforced masks and distancing.

People who are demanding enforcement of mask wearing likely won’t be going anyway. And the people who do go, would likely be fine without masks outdoors anyway.
So someone like me, who actually has a trip booked? I’d be fine with no masks outside, but would definitely prefer them indoors. I think the people who have assumed the risks (and are insane?) like me, have a similar mindset and maybe (scarily) don’t care about masks at all.

So it’s more: what’s the mentality of those who are actually going to be going at this time? I think that’s why mask enforcement might fall off by July 1 and become “recommended” and not “required” outdoors.

Good point. And some areas have almost nowhere to go. Seuss is basically- cram into Cat in the Hat exit gift shop.

And that’s when the masks will come off to wipe their faces or whatever. And then you’re in an exposed area for a much longer period of time. And a long exposure time is a much bigger issue vs the short exposure time you would encounter from anything outdoors.

Driving to work this morning I thought of another issue/potential improvement for clarity. I believe a lot of people don't know *why* they're wearing masks. So UOR and WDW could clarify instances when masks will be required. For example, a family of four could be walking through the park with no one around wearing a mask but then they'll walk up to a Team Member and remove their masks to talk to them so they could be heard clearly. There's no real point in wearing the mask when socially distancing but they have to when dealing with TMs. Maybe something like "we ask masks be worn at all times and we require mask usage: when indoors, when interacting with Team Members, when outside and cannot socially distance" etc

Driving to work this morning I thought of another issue/potential improvement for clarity. I believe a lot of people don't know *why* they're wearing masks. So UOR and WDW could clarify instances when masks will be required. For example, a family of four could be walking through the park with no one around wearing a mask but then they'll walk up to a Team Member and remove their masks to talk to them so they could be heard clearly. There's no real point in wearing the mask when socially distancing but they have to when dealing with TMs. Maybe something like "we ask masks be worn at all times and we require mask usage: when indoors, when interacting with Team Members, when outside and cannot socially distance" etc

Sounds like the parks need to hire Joe as their COVID copywriter. This is exactly what needs communicated.

Broadway looking at January now:

Broadway's arguably in the toughest spot of arguably any industry. Enclosed theaters where number of seats is maximized, and the economics of theater make distancing via underselling completely impractical... PLUS the emerging belief that singing tends to exacerbate the spread? I guess I just don't see how they can safely reopen pre-treatment options.

I also imagine DCA's Frozen show will remain dark for quite some time.

Not sure if this is the right thread but just found out a lot of Loews team members laid off today. Of course Loews is small but curious if this could mean anything for Disney and Universal. Not sure what it means for the hotels reopening plans but not surprising as occupancy is extremely low.

ETA: for clarityI am referring to Orlando Loews employees. Wanted to specify that since they have other hotels

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right thread but just found out a lot of Loews team members laid off today. Of course Loews is small but curious if this could mean anything for Disney and Universal. Not sure what it means for the hotels reopening plans but not surprising as occupancy is extremely low.

ETA: for clarityI am referring to Orlando Loews employees. Wanted to specify that since they have other hotels
Anymore info on this- or just friends?

Regionally the beach towns were booked to close to capacity over the weekend according to news reports. Official numbers will take a few weeks to get published. Based on the traffic I saw i'd believe it. The few people i've talked to indicated that it was a pretty decent weekend for business. We went to the beach a few days, most groups were separated pretty well and people were giving extra room on the sidewalks and public walkways.

There were of course pockets of people flagrantly violating social distancing recommendations. I think most people were at least attempting to keep their distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.