Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Tiana's Bayou Adventure (Opening Late 2024)

Feb 15, 2012
dpbwd019840923572837423840239480.jpg

Today we are thrilled to share a first glimpse of a project Imagineers have been working on since last year. Splash Mountain – at both Disneyland park in California and Magic Kingdom park in Florida – will soon be completely reimagined. The theme is inspired by an all-time favorite animated Disney film, “The Princess and the Frog.” We pick up this story after the final kiss, and join Princess Tiana and Louis on a musical adventure – featuring some of the powerful music from the film – as they prepare for their first-ever Mardi Gras performance.

MOD DISCUSSION GUIDELINES

The last thread wavered from the topic at hand and brought up straw men arguments and some politics. Since that was a "what if" thread we were more lenient in discussions. For this thread please stay on topic and don't engage in slippery slope or straw men arguments. We will be moderating this thread, if someone starts to waver off-topic please use the report post feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am ALL for this. Probably should've been done, tbh. Zippidy DO Da can still mean whatever it means to you regardless of the film. But, this ride being based off that film in modern day does not work. Let alone that none of the Disney princess of color have an attraction to their name, unless I'm totally misspeaking? Not a Disney expert here but not including flat rides I haven't seen one. Happy to hear this.

I have no intellectual comment on the social impacts of this change.

But.

I don't think you could possibly pick a worse time in the company's recent history to make this change. And I mean that in a much bigger sense than just the current economics surrounding the parks. We're not far off from the James Gunn fiasco, and there's arguably less competent leadership involved at this point. Let alone all the people at Imagineering currently or soon to be furloughed.

I think it's absolutely fair to question the likely success of this retheme of one of the greatest overall attractions in Disney history, without questioning its social benefits.

I’m very disappointed in Disney over this. They caved to the mob mentality. Can this be good? It better be. Am I excited over this? Not really. But if you’re excited for this, then hey, good for you. Glad you like the idea.

This better be really, really, REALLY good to sell me on this Disney. I hate that they’re changing a classic ride over Twitter outrage.

I’m very disappointed in Disney over this. They caved to the mob mentality. Can this be good? It better be. Am I excited over this? Not really. But if you’re excited for this, then hey, good for you. Glad you like the idea.

This better be really, really, REALLY good to sell me on this Disney. I hate that they’re changing a classic ride over Twitter outrage.

We made it 8 posts.

So take a ride based on actual black folklore, and replace it with a movie based on a grimm farytale that has black characters grafted into it. I'm not sure about this one. one thing is for sure, it will cause arguments for DECADES.

Here's my gut reaction half an hour after the announcement:
  • Like Frozen this feels like the ride system is alienating those most interested in the experience, which sucks.
  • I believe the movie and Tiana deserve their own, from the ground up, new attraction.
  • There are lots of great moments from Splash that I hope they can make work with PatF
  • Compared to other rethemes I'm excited for this one!
  • I'm good with them removing the racist depictions in Jungle Cruise and Peter Pan's Flight while we're at it