Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Walkway from MK to Grand Floridian

I believe someone realized that during the peak times when the walkway would be most needed (as everyone leaves the park), the Monorail ramp would be too backed up with people waiting for the Monorail to accommodate people wanting to take the walkway. When everyone leaves MK at the end of the day the Monorail line takes up half the plaza in front of the park and the Ferry Boat line takes up the other half. There was no way to route guests through that line for the walkway.

I know Disney likes to drag out a project but that is going overboard. It probably cost $22.5 million to finish as well.
They just decided not to invest in this path until they ripped up the "Walk Around the World" pavers last year. I think they just thought it wasn't worth it since it involved building a bridge that could open upwards (or in this place, swing open).

I think the real impetus for finally completing the walkway was the plan to add another hotel next to the Grand Floridian as well as expanding the boat docks for the additional boats coming from Reflections. Of course that's on hold now, but it got the pathway finally completed!

They just decided not to invest in this path until they ripped up the "Walk Around the World" pavers last year. I think they just thought it wasn't worth it since it involved building a bridge that could open upwards (or in this place, swing open).

Sorry. I was being sarcastic about the length of time. Should have used an emoji.

I think the real impetus for finally completing the walkway was the plan to add another hotel next to the Grand Floridian as well as expanding the boat docks for the additional boats coming from Reflections. Of course that's on hold now, but it got the pathway finally completed!
Yeah, now that you mention that, I remember that as being the reason this got approved.

If the monorail is capacity constrained (it is), you have to get people off of it to build anywhere around the lake, not just near GF.

I enjoy walking, but I’m afraid this isn’t going to get as much usage as it should.

The rumor I heard on the hotel was that it was supposed to be the first to have an entrance directly into the park (somehow), so the pathway would be used for "after hours". I never put a lot of stock in the rumor since any hotel entrance into the park would have to cross the canal and several backstage areas. NOt particularly practical, but it could happen for the right amount of money. Then again, guests would probably pay a premium to have direct access into the Magic Kingdom from their hotel.

The rumor I heard on the hotel was that it was supposed to be the first to have an entrance directly into the park (somehow), so the pathway would be used for "after hours". I never put a lot of stock in the rumor since any hotel entrance into the park would have to cross the canal and several backstage areas. NOt particularly practical, but it could happen for the right amount of money. Then again, guests would probably pay a premium to have direct access into the Magic Kingdom from their hotel.
It was going to enter into Adventureland from what I know.

It was going to enter into Adventureland from what I know.
That's what I heard as well. There are just so many logistical issues with that idea with the canal, the backstage roads, the railroad tracks, etc. Especially since the canal, and the backstage road need fairly high clearances (the riverboat and the parade floats), it would require a high overpass bridge...

Just got a confirmation the plan is to open the new docks next to the path Friday morning, which should mean the pathway opens as well. They were putting up the last sections of fence needed yesterday.

Seems it’s open today, after I complained to my friends last night about it not being open since they weren’t running the buses back to TTC yet. I’ll look forward to using it one day.