Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

DisneyForward Expansion Project

If they create those massive bridges between plots, I really hope they're themed. It would be strange to be inside Disneyland and still see freeways.

I think it’s clearly opportunistic. Disney knows how hard Orange County’s economy has been hit and are using it to their advantage to expand DLR.

Epcot and WDW don’t need expansions or loop holes through zoning regulations. They’ll be able to get to those projects whenever they feel like it. For DLR, they’re striking while the iron’s hot.

Agreed--and with the state of how Anaheim's political scene is now; it's much more likely that this will be approved, than when Disney first introduced the Eastern Gateway project back the last few years.

No matter why Disney is pulling this out of their *** but it is double messaging when you halt and cancle a lot of needed and long overdue work for Epcot and other WDW parks when showing this.

All that will happen before this. These plans are examples so they can get re-zoning approval. That’s it.

No matter why Disney is pulling this out of their *** but it is double messaging when you halt and cancle a lot of needed and long overdue work for Epcot and other WDW parks when showing this.
Epcot and WDW don’t need expansions or loop holes through zoning regulations. They’ll be able to get to those projects whenever they feel like it. For DLR, they’re striking while the iron’s hot.
All that will happen before this. These plans are examples so they can get re-zoning approval. That’s it.

I do agree -- on the surface -- it sends a weird message if you're a WDW fan.

"We can't afford to run any shows, restore more Streetmosphere, have all food service locations open, hire back all our Cast Members, or finish any announced attractions on their original schedule at Walt Disney World, but here's our proposed multi-billion dollar expansion at Disneyland."

Yes, it's probably a decade out from happening (if it happens). And as I said, I hope it portends an upper management that is bullish about the domestic theme parks overall, not just in California.

I also don’t think it’s any more unusual than the potential resurfacing of the Epcot entry hotel. Just putting it out there that even though things may be getting started slower than expected or paused in some cases that they are bullish on theme parks. This also may be a veiled response to the Epic Universe construction restart, showing they are planning future investments as well

I also don’t think it’s any more unusual than the potential resurfacing of the Epcot entry hotel. Just putting it out there that even though things may be getting started slower than expected or paused in some cases that they are bullish on theme parks. This also may be a veiled response to the Epic Universe construction restart, showing they are planning future investments as well

I think it's a multitude of things. As have stated by others, getting good while iron is hot; getting the zonings taken cared for. But I also do think it stems towards that there should be an increase in tourism once the pandemic hits. Especially as Comcast is willing to shell out hard cash for their parks, and for a new park altogether.

I feel like the proper response to Epic Universe would be an expansion to Magic Kingdom, a new country with a ride in Epcot, a new ride in Hollywood Studios, and a new land for Animal Kingdom. That's the scale of response that would be warranted in Orlando. And it can't be spread out over a decade.

Already mentioned in other places, but that rockwork at the alternate DCA entrance really looks like a giant cat statue. Of course that only means that a preliminary, hypothetical version of Wakanda has been designed, which we already knew would happen based on Iger's comments post Black Panther's release.

Don't.Read.Into.The.Concept. Art.

For real. Maybe I've just been around this stuff too long, but seeing how it blew up online as a third gate with people trying to decode the concept art was pretty funny to watch. On one hand, I understand why they did it this way. It gets headlines and traction and that puts more pressure on the city. Same old game they've been playing with Anaheim since the Port Disney/Long Beach days. Looks like these talks could take up to 2 years to get finalized according to the OC Register, so we are in the most preliminary of preliminary stages.

It's funny how so many people had to delete their "third gate" stories from the outset and re-run it as an expansion of the existing parks. This definitely makes more sense and I'd assume if DL ever got their third gate, it would be Epic Universe-style in that it's... somewhere else.

I think it’s clearly opportunistic. Disney knows how hard Orange County’s economy has been hit and are using it to their advantage to expand DLR.

As they should. Way to bite the hand that feeds with them pulling tax incentives from the fourth hotel project recently. Why Anaheim pretends to be anything without Disney is mystifying at this point.

I think Disney is being smart about this...at least to me.

While I do think the city should get some other sort of types of Businesses in the city (I really do...another covid could happen one day) but doesn't mean you can't use more attractions. While yes in the short term its good...really the long term as well.

Disneyland resort I know people come here for a day or two and yes some come longer but doubt most people stay past two days...this opens up 3+ days for many travelers to come and stay in the city raising a lot of money and providing jobs.
I know some locals won't like it but at some point they need to understand what is making the community clean and great is the taxes from the mouse...they want all the benefits of Disney with none of the inconveniences.

The Disneyland I grew up in kinda has been dying since DCA open and think Galaxy Edge and Marvel Campus push it over the edge but think an updated DTD would be nice I think the current one is kinda like a mall near the parks and hope they see it could be more with outside park attractions found here...like an Indy restaurant we can't have in adventureland because of space but in DTD...we can do that....maybe the trading post become a place restaurant with AA's in it which would be always booked and so on.
So to me this is all exciting of what could be and hopefully Disney see's how Powerful their brand is and.....hopefully Pushes other theme parks in CA to also have to do more to get you to come to them.

If they create those massive bridges between plots, I really hope they're themed. It would be strange to be inside Disneyland and still see freeways.

I wouldn't worry about this too much. It took me a long while to realize that you pass over a huge roadway when navigating Downtown Disney.

I'd assume this may be more related to that of Universal's immiment reopening, but it is fun to see Hollywood having fun in social media wise.

Now if Anaheim approves of DisneyForward though...
a rising tide lifts all boats

Part of the Reason I want Disneyland to get this new gate/shopping area is to Push other theme parks to try more and work on bigger projects.

While I know it won't happen..the golf course next to Universal is such a waste of space...for sure they could build something in similar size to what Disney wants to do. Give us a nice new hotel, Zeldaland, Monstersland and maybe a mix of Dreamworks IPs along with the Train from Potter connecting the two "parks"