What's new
Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

DisneyForward Expansion Project

The same reason every company ever releases the “this could be us but you taxing us too much” plan: to strongarm the local government
Ding, ding, ding.

I’m skeptical any of this will ever happen, but it’s a good way to get headlines and try to influence the next election cycle. The notion of building a “Disney Springs” that detached from the two parks is pretty absurd.

Would be odd entering Disneyland not from Main Street though.
Indeed. Since the plans are still placeholders and these expansions likely won't manifest till 2028 or later, I think they could always switch the locations of the theme park expansion and the new hotel district. But it still seems like these placeholders vaguely represent how Disney thinks their land holdings will be used.

Ding, ding, ding.

I’m skeptical any of this will ever happen, but it’s a good way to get headlines and try to influence the next election cycle. The notion of building a “Disney Springs” that detached from the two parks is pretty absurd.
Kind of interesting to consider this with the rumor that Disney was offered Gardenwalk but declined to buy.

All this talk of expanding while Tomorrowland continues to decay.
That really should be the first priority for expansion and it might very well be. The reason this rezoning effort is getting announced now is because the political climate is receptive. So, this expansion, if approved, will probably not be the first development following Mickey and Minnie's and Princess and the Frog.

That really should be the first priority for expansion and it might very well be. The reason this rezoning effort is getting announced now is because the political climate is receptive. So, this expansion, if approved, will probably not be the first development following Mickey and Minnie's and Princess and the Frog.
Yeah they’re certainly trying to leverage COVID economic recovery to bypass zoning regulations with the expansions. I’m all for rapidly expanding the resort, but projects like PatF and Tomorrowland shouldn’t be left on the back burner much longer.

but projects like PatF and Tomorrowland shouldn’t be left on the back burner much longer.
And there's still room in Fantasyland for more attractions. Actually, if I were Disney, I would use the additional expansion space to build a more comprehensive theater that can handle more advanced shows. It could be situated near the new park entrances to facilitate easier access to Downtown Disney for pre or post-show meals. That would you could use the Fantasyland Theater space for a new attraction.

I really hope they use this as an excuse to finally tear down Paradise Pier Hotel. They can build a hotel if they want, but that current hotel has got to go.

Why can Disney build new rides/lands in the current parks, but they can’t use this part of land that they already own for more rides/lands?

Is Disney’s land so narrowly zoned?

Why can Disney build new rides/lands in the current parks, but they can’t use this part of land that they already own for more rides/lands?

Is Disney’s land so narrowly zoned?

My guess lies to the main road in-between the parks and the parking lots, causing some trouble on zoning. That, and the whole Eastern Gateway debacle.

To..share my thoughts on the matter:

The City of Anaheim over the past year, has had to be reminded just how big the Tourism industry gives for the sake of their residents and jobs. They lost a lot last year; and were the primary ones begging for the parks to be reopen. Additionally, some of Anaheim's elected officials, weighs more into the side of the rat. If this isn't approved, it'd be because of the slimmest of a vote. It'd bring in a lot of jobs, upgraded infrastructure around the area, and to ensure high traffic of tourism over the course of time. This could turn out in the same way Tokyo Disneyland Resort over the multi-year period leading towards Tokyo Olympics; had invested heavily into upgrading and expanding their parks. This also ensures for Disney, that they have a foot ahead of their competition; especially those in the Orange County (Knotts) and Los Angeles area (Universal)

This is Disney's NBCUniversal Evolution Plan. Let's not kid ourselves here, this is exactly that. And I would not be the slightest bit shocked, if that once this is approved by Anaheim, we get word quick that NBCUniversal/Comcast are preparing for the 7 year gap; to compete with Disney. Same goes for Cedar Fair. I can see them taking the gamble and investing into a multi-year plan; similar to what they have in mind for California's Great America, to prepare the western park for 2028. Over the course of the next seven years, my mind is set on three. Comcast, Cedar Fair, and Disney. If Disney gets it; then I would argue all hands on deck.

While I should be ecstatic for this (I mean, I kinda am, but not as much as I should), there are two things that kinda bother me with this:

1) This is going to be an excuse to make tickets $250 a person by the time this opens up. People have shown they're willing to pay $75 just to buy more food and do no rides, so why not?

2) Ummm....Tomorrowland? Are you just going to let it continue to rot?

Okay, I'll add a third one:

3) With the "Possibilities" of expansions, I'm down for Frozen (If it's not a clone of Ever After), Tangled, and Peter Pan. Not so hot about Toy Story Land, Zootopia or Tron...especially since they could put Tron into TL with careful planning and actually help improve TL.

If they blow the expansion plot of DCA with Toy Story Land, talk about a tremendous waste of space! This would be a tremendous opportunity to bring the Shanghai Pirates or FoP ride systems to Cali! I do think DLR is overdue for a new coaster but preferably not Slinky.

1) This is going to be an excuse to make tickets $250 a person by the time this opens up. People have shown they're willing to pay $75 just to buy more food and do no rides, so why not?

2) Ummm....Tomorrowland? Are you just going to let it continue to rot?

Okay, I'll add a third one:

3) With the "Possibilities" of expansions, I'm down for Frozen (If it's not a clone of Ever After), Tangled, and Peter Pan. Not so hot about Toy Story Land, Zootopia or Tron...especially since they could put Tron into TL with careful planning and actually help improve TL.
1) They'll raise prices whenever they want. They don't need a justification.

2) Tomorrowland could still come before. This exact expansion isn't necessarily Disney's next thing, and certainly not all at once.

3) Some of those Fantasy Springs rides should come over, but we also have to consider that

A. some of the rides might be hella dated by the time they get here (just look at poor Ratatouille)

B. The lands are just placeholders, though somewhat dissapointing placeholders to have chosen for DCA, bar Zootopia. There will also be a dozen movies from both Disney and Pixar before this expansion even breaks ground which could also change things. California will certainly get Frozen one day, but maybe you switch Pan out with Coco or Encanto or the Untitled Pixar Movie about Microbes or the culturally authentic Disney musical that takes place in Bhutan.

I'm with you that Tron could go into Tomorrowland though.

I’m skeptical any of this will ever happen, but it’s a good way to get headlines and try to influence the next election cycle.

I'm with you. There have been WAY TOO MANY Disneyland blue sky concepts for expansion floated that have gone no where to get too excited or believe this will happen.

Personally I actually do see this happening because I’m not sure how else they can get Fantasy Springs over to the States without this, part of me feels that’s almost the direct reason for this expansion to a degree.

Again, nothing in that concept art means anything (as far as the lands or IP's featured). This is more for the City of Anaheim to gain approval and the lands and everything featured within was just examples of what could be. By the time they get around to this (if it happens), it will likely be something different.

I think people also probably need to be realistic about timelines here.

-Avengers Campus will(?) open this year
-Mickey and Minnie is under construction
-Princess and the Frog and Jungle Cruise projects will happen/are happening
-Avengers ride still needs to be built

If this kind of expansion happens I’d imagine it won’t be until late in the decade or early 2030s

Wow....It's amazing how confused some are about this announcement......act like you've been there before theme parkers! The most puzzling thing that I've read on here is how some can't get it through their heads that these are expansions of the 2 existing theme parks with entry portholes (bridges) over Disneyland Drive.

Of the announced Blue Skies......

I am down for Frozen & Peter Pan. I'd love to see them do a massive new Peter Pan's Flight.....that would be incredible. They could ditch the original in Fantasyland which would open up the space for more retail/food/M&G (not my choice but thinking like Disney execs).

Not so big on Tangled....I think that they would be better served to do BATB land with dark ride, Be Our Guest restaurant, Gaston's, Maurice Cottage (M&G), etc.

DCA....a big NO to Toy Story Land and Tron. Tron should go into Tomorrowland in the Launch Bay/Autopia/Nemo area. Toy Story Land......ugh. Hello Pixar Pier! I do like the idea of Zootopia.....I think that would fit in really well and be extremely popular.

No matter why Disney is pulling this out of their *** but it is double messaging when you halt and cancle a lot of needed and long overdue work for Epcot and other WDW parks when showing this.

No matter why Disney is pulling this out of their *** but it is double messaging when you halt and cancle a lot of needed and long overdue work for Epcot and other WDW parks when showing this.

I think it’s clearly opportunistic. Disney knows how hard Orange County’s economy has been hit and are using it to their advantage to expand DLR.

Epcot and WDW don’t need expansions or loop holes through zoning regulations. They’ll be able to get to those projects whenever they feel like it. For DLR, they’re striking while the iron’s hot.