Super Nintendo World (Osaka) | Page 203 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Gonna be more specific about my issues with MK. I don’t think they’re anything any of y’all haven’t heard already though:

- It’s not fast or thrilling (very first thing you think of when you imagine Mario Kart is a car going fast)
- AR is gimmicky and will be outdated in a few years
- Lack of physical sets/props/AAs in favor of AR
- The “game” is not truly interactive nor replayable

I get there are counter arguments to these things, some of which are rational and well thought out. I don’t really care. The ride is not “bad” by any means but it fails to live up to the general expectation of what a ride based on that specific property should be.
It’s extremely interactive because you can win or lose, it is not at random. That alone is majorly interactive. I can see how the rules may generally be confusing though, but I also think it’s as simple as shoot shells at the other team.

Also I don’t see the argument with AR being outdated in a few years when this is a brand new technology.....

Hitting or not hitting Team Koopa with shells determines who wins in the end.
Thanks for clarifying that, I wasn’t sure what determined the winner.

Granted I think that’s still a pretty low bar for what is supposedly supposed to be emulating a video game in a physical environment.

Although again I don’t really care. I personally don’t go to theme parks to play interactive games (I dislike even Buzz Lightyear), I go to have experiences in physical environments. And I think there was a viable, relatively clear path to achieve that with MK, but it’s not the path that was chosen.

Reactions: JawsVictim
I’m not buying this “family friendly” counter point that keeps getting thrown around. That’s like saying Harry Potter is a family friendly IP yet 3 HP rides are pretty thrilling.

A go-kart’s max speed is 40-50 MPH. I don’t even think an attraction like this makes sense going that fast. But it appears slower than MIB to accommodate the AR, which I keep hearing makes this attraction just okay. I’m not upset, but I was cheering for Universal to score a big win with this attraction. Doesn’t sound like they have.

The approach should have been “what experience are we simulating? Go karts. Okay, the vehicle can go up to the average speed of a go kart” and build it out from there. Same philosophy used to nail Hagrid’s (ie I actually feel like I’m riding a motorbike) should have been applied here and F&F. If you can’t nail the baseline reality of the concept with AR, ditch the AR and find a different method of interactivity.

Reactions: Pacific
I’m not buying this “family friendly” counter point that keeps getting thrown around. That’s like saying Harry Potter is a family friendly IP yet 3 HP rides are pretty thrilling.

Everyone (ie Theme park internet posters) complains Gringotts isn't thrilling enough (hell it's brought up as a "mistake" in this thread as a similar comparison to MK), and was specifically designed to be more family friendly than FJ was.

I think the big problem here is people built up a dream ride in their head, one that is neither possible with the space they had nor the technical and physical possibilities of modern technology. And now that we see what the ride is (a technological marvel of a family dark ride) everyone is salty because it's not the impossible dream ride they cooked up in the years following the announcement.

Everyone (ie Theme park internet posters) complains Gringotts isn't thrilling enough (hell it's brought up as a "mistake" in this thread as a similar comparison to MK), and was specifically designed to be more family friendly than FJ was.

I think the big problem here is people built up a dream ride in their head, one that is neither possible with the space they had nor the technical and physical possibilities of modern technology. And now that we see what the ride is (a technological marvel of a family dark ride) everyone is salty because it's not the impossible dream ride they cooked up in the years following the announcement.
The 2nd half of this.

I do appreciate the one review we have, I just will never get the set argument here because it’s full of full sets. No AAs I can see even though I don’t think it’d work, but I don’t get the first 3 1/2 min of the ride then if there are supposedly no sets. I understand I haven’t ridden but thats the only noticeable thing on a current POV

The first drop of Gringott’s is thrilling and I would not describe it or FJ as family friendly rides.

I haven’t seen one response to MK describing it as a technological marvel and I don’t think it was impossible to get this attraction right. Considering this is a flagship attraction being installed at multiple parks, yeah no wonder people got excited for it.

The first drop of Gringott’s is thrilling and I would not describe it or FJ as family friendly rides.

I haven’t seen one response to MK describing it as a technological marvel and I don’t think it was impossible to get this attraction right. Considering this is a flagship attraction being installed at multiple parks, yeah no wonder people got excited for it.

Gringotts was specifically designed to be far more family friendly, due to the amount of complaints FJ got for its intense ness. It’s an easier ride for far more people to ride, and is often derided in the enthusiast community because of it.

MK is a technical marvel. Full stop. Getting the AR to work in concert with a dark ride is incredible. People here were doubting it could work.It does, and that’s incredible.

The idea they “got the attraction wrong” only lives inside the head of the fanboys. The only place I see people whining about not being excited for what we got are on message boards.

There's no reason to believe that Nintendo doesn't have contractual obligations for upgrades over time. They want the best representation of their brand, and that will mean having to stay abreast of the latest technology as part of that. I'd guess Universal will continue to work with Nintendo to update and upgrade the AR over time. Probably by the time EU's version opens they'll be rolling out updated tech to Osaka and Hollywood so they all are up to date.

So I'm trying to play catch up a bit here...want to make sure I got this right...

So because of 1 person's review on here, who admits interactive rides aren't his thing, we're ready to classify this a miss? Most of the reviews I've seen (from people who've actually been on it) have been positive so I don't get it? The only thing that ultimately matters is GSATs. We all pile on Fallon but that has a high mark amongst guests.

A go-kart’s max speed is 40-50 MPH. I don’t even think an attraction like this makes sense going that fast. But it appears slower than MIB to accommodate the AR, which I keep hearing makes this attraction just okay. I’m not upset, but I was cheering for Universal to score a big win with this attraction. Doesn’t sound like they have.

The approach should have been “what experience are we simulating? Go karts. Okay, the vehicle can go up to the average speed of a go kart” and build it out from there. Same philosophy used to nail Hagrid’s (ie I actually feel like I’m riding a motorbike) should have been applied here and F&F. If you can’t nail the baseline reality of the concept with AR, ditch the AR and find a different method of interactivity.

It's a pick your poison-type situation. The more intense MK would've been, the more restrictive the ride would have to be (ie a higher height requirement, which would not satisfy Nintendo/Uni's goal for the family aspect). Higher speeds would also mean some interactivity would get lost.

Here's the Creative Director of MIB highlighting a problem of creating the ride with coasters or Spidey ride vehicles.

So I'm trying to play catch up a bit here...want to make sure I got this right...

So because of 1 person's review on here, who admits interactive rides aren't his thing, we're ready to classify this a miss? Most of the reviews I've seen (from people who've actually been on it) have been positive so I don't get it? The only thing that ultimately matters is GSATs. We all pile on Fallon but that has a high mark amongst guests.

It's a pick your poison-type situation. The more intense MK would've been, the more restrictive the ride would have to be (ie a higher height requirement, which would not satisfy Nintendo/Uni's goal for the family aspect). Higher speeds would also mean some interactivity would get lost.

Here's the Creative Director of MIB highlighting a problem of creating the ride with coasters or Spidey ride vehicles.

Yes, this was already posted. I’m not basing my thoughts off of 1 review here - and I still need to experience the attraction for myself. My point to the interactivity is, if you can’t simulate the experience of racing around in go-karts using the AR, ditch it. I don’t think the GP wants a slow moving AR attraction for MK. Just like they didn’t want a tunnel simulator for F&F. But I guess it’s too late now anyways.

This was all going back to my original post saying this sounds like an amazing, highly themed, immersive land with a lukewarm E-Ticket. The fact we’re having this discussion and not all blown away by the reviews and footage shows this will be divisive and not a slam dunk.

This was all going back to my original post saying this sounds like an amazing, highly themed, immersive land with a lukewarm E-Ticket. The fact we’re having this discussion and not all blown away by the reviews and footage shows this will be divisive and not a slam dunk.
When's the last time an E-ticket opened that wasn't divisive in some way? Forbidden Journey?

Reactions: Legacy
Yes, this was already posted. I’m not basing my thoughts off of 1 review here - and I still need to experience the attraction for myself. My point to the interactivity is, if you can’t simulate the experience of racing around in go-karts using the AR, ditch it. I don’t think the GP wants a slow moving AR attraction for MK. Just like they didn’t want a tunnel simulator for F&F. But I guess it’s too late now anyways.

Well since we know it's hard for any kind of interactivity to be used in high-speed rides, wouldn't have that introduced the argument of a Mario Kart ride without interactivity? I think F&F isn't a fair comparison because there's only one aspect to the thrill of the franchise - going fast.

With Mario Kart - speed is one component; it also has the characters, the locations, the interactivity, and the race (the thrill of competition, specifically) itself. We know Nintendo wanted to bring a video game to life - and it seems like it nails the characters, the locations, the competition, and the interactivity.

I agree with @JungleSkip's point of some of these problems coming from personal expectations not being met, which is fine - but you also gotta analyze the ride for what it is too.

I think this take is too early to debate right now. I don't agree but there's no way to debate it on either side since all of the riders are locals and tourists can't experience it yet. It's a unique opening, that's for sure.

I mean, I would argue that Mario Kart minus the interactivity would be divisive and a complete miss and would get lukewarm receptions. This is a video game land, built-in collaboration with a video game company, designed to emulate being in & playing a video game. Not being able to interact would kill any portion of "gaming" from the attraction. It's much easier to do an attraction where you just follow along a path while looking at sets with movies/television. It's much harder to have that be a success when the land is built around a medium that relies primarily on interactivity. :shrug:

When's the last time an E-ticket opened that wasn't divisive in some way? Forbidden Journey?
From ride experience reactions alone? RotR, Hagrid’s, and FoP. I’d say all are considered part of the pantheon of great theme park rides. I don’t see the kind of blown away reviews for MK as I saw for those once they opened.

There are absolutely people who exist who don't like any of those rides (or at least have complaints about them that tarnish the experience for them).
Sure, just like there are people who dislike Spider-Man and FJ. But the overwhelming consensus is positive. And for FoP, RotR, and Hagrid’s the initial reviews were shockingly positive. The MK reviews I’ve seen are lukewarm and unlike those 3 attractions.