Super Nintendo World (Osaka) | Page 205 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I tried to touch on this long ago, but you said it better then I did at the time.

I firmly believe if they had made the attraction a Luigi’s Mansion adventure (as you suggested), or a Mario Adventure, the system, the AR, and the interactivity would have made it all a slam dunk.

The issue is the franchise concept chosen, with the ride system they are using.

And I think this is compounded in the online community by what happened with F&F.

And I don’t see this as an unworthy argument to make.

I know it will be fun, I can’t wait to ride it, but I don’t know if the right choices were made for this attraction.
Luigi's Mansion has to be an Omnimover.

Use similar AR tech but with a green hat and a car mounted vacuum nozzle.

Reactions: shiekra38
Here’s my issue with this argument:

If it’s fun...who cares?

F&F’s problem isn’t “it’s not fast”, it’s that it flat out sucks.

EDIT: This is a *very* meta argument imo. 99% of guests aren’t going into a ride wondering whether the ride system is the right fit for the IP or if it goes fast enough. They’re going in to have fun. If they have fun, they will never consider whether the ride is “right” for the IP.
THIS!!! Yes!!! FUN is the key word. That's the bottom line of the Theme Park Experience.

Here’s my issue with this argument:

If it’s fun...who cares?

F&F’s problem isn’t “it’s not fast”, it’s that it flat out sucks.

EDIT: This is a *very* meta argument imo. 99% of guests aren’t going into a ride wondering whether the ride system is the right fit for the IP or if it goes fast enough. They’re going in to have fun. If they have fun, they will never consider whether the ride is “right” for the IP.

Sure, but we are on a theme park message board, so I feel we will dive into more nuance then “is it fun”.

Almost every ride I’ve been on in my life is fun (except F&F).

I'm just gonna say it again: picking Mario Kart as the headliner attraction of Super Nintendo World wasn't the best idea in my opinion. Should have done a more traditional/original Mario ride where there are no expectations for the experience.

There is no way to get the real life Mario Kart experience without some major compromises. And at that point, you should just pick a different idea.

I'm just gonna say it again: picking Mario Kart as the headliner attraction of Super Nintendo World wasn't the best idea in my opinion. Should have done a more traditional/original Mario ride where there are no expectations for the experience.
I go back and forth with this line of thinking as well

On one hand you have the opportunity to tell an original story (or the normal Bowser kidnaps Peach story) and focus less it being a ride revolving around a "car"

Still though, I feel SNW would always feel like it had an incompleteness to it without Mario Kart

As it stands now, there's really nothing I would add to SNW (knowing DK is happening)..I don't feel like they overlooked anything

However, without Mario Kart, I would always be wondering "what if"

I guess you could draw the same argument for Gringotts...It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but as a different ride we'd always wonder what a Gringotts ride would look like.

A “Mario adventure” ride would be even less representative of its property than MK would be, which is why they made the “Mario Bros attraction” baked into the land where you can run, jump, defeat enemies, finish “levels”, and have a boss battle

Sure, but we are on a theme park message board, so I feel we will dive into more nuance then “is it fun”.

Almost every ride I’ve been on in my life is fun (except F&F).
I think there’s “nuance” and then there’s “desperately looking for nits to pick”.

Reactions: Legacy and Tbad556

There is no way to get the real life Mario Kart experience without some major compromises. And at that point, you should just pick a different idea.
It would have been the Yoshi inside part but longer....that would have made people happy?

I think people here are really out of touch, Jurassic World had 3 hour lines and literally is not as impressive as this ride the Mummy gets 2 hour lines and worst than the one in Flordia. People are going to love this thing, it will have lines for 3+ years and if they do end up adding new characters to it or other updates then it will always be something people want to ride.

Besides the speed thing I do not see the issue with the ride....it has detailed physical sets and some screens like the Bowser Status that look almost like a 3D model that is really there. The Q is amazing, sound track is fire....I really don't get the dislike. My god some of you people must really hate Pirates, HM, and dark rides in general.

I do want to point out that everyone who gave MK a meh review still rode it multiple times.

If the ride was true trash, they would've rode it once but they repeated riding it.

Last comment is this. Illumination's Super Mario Movie was originally planned to open with the SNW which probably would've add more context and added to the land. It got pushed back, add in COVID's impact, and it created this super hyped response that for some won't scratch the itch just right.

Reactions: JungleSkip
I do want to point out that everyone who gave MK a meh review still rode it multiple times.

If the ride was true trash, they would've rode it once but they repeated riding it.

Last comment is this. Illumination's Super Mario Movie was originally planned to open with the SNW which probably would've add more context and added to the land. It got pushed back, add in COVID's impact, and it created this super hyped response that for some won't scratch the itch just right.
The "meh" reviews I saw were just saying that it wasn't what they expected but still a fun ride

Honestly there's been so many iterations of "Mario Kart", My version of MK is all N64 polygons for instance

I applaud Universal for being able to capture MKs spirit and tone...something they excel at with IPs they develop IMO

It would have been the Yoshi inside part but longer....that would have made people happy?

I think people here are really out of touch, Jurassic World had 3 hour lines and literally is not as impressive as this ride the Mummy gets 2 hour lines and worst than the one in Flordia. People are going to love this thing, it will have lines for 3+ years and if they do end up adding new characters to it or other updates then it will always be something people want to ride.

Besides the speed thing I do not see the issue with the ride....it has detailed physical sets and some screens like the Bowser Status that look almost like a 3D model that is really there. The Q is amazing, sound track is fire....I really don't get the dislike. My god some of you people must really hate Pirates, HM, and dark rides in general.
That's Yoshi's Island, not Super Mario Bros (mainline Mario).

That's Yoshi's Island, not Super Mario Bros (mainline Mario).
In Terms of what they would do it would be like a dark ride...anyone thinking a Mario ride is going to be like Star Wars rise is nuts. It would be you slowly moving along in the Mushroom Kingdom seeing Yoshi's...mario and friends and some enemies.

Also Cannot wait for the reviews of Spiderman if people think MK is lame OMG...a Spiderman ride with just generic robots can't wait to see the takes on that ride.

I've watched the ride over ten times...it looks pretty dam cool. Anyone acting like this is FF bad is clearly going overboard

I when I say the first leaked video thought it looked bad then saw the full thing and admitted I was wrong....and if we get Pokemon/zelda rides like MK then I will be happy and sorry to the other fans who want some coaster but a detailed dark ride is what I'd prefer.

Reactions: SkiBum
Yes it’s why I’m listening to him more than others who are basing it off of on ride vids (like me even!) But my comments are specifically about people raising questions and comments about his review and him going “don’t care”. If I posted a review of something where i missed a component (due to attraction design or my fault) then I’d listen.

But anyway, back on topic.
If I missed something then by all means let me know (For example it was pointed out that there is a degree of interactivity in determining which team wins the race, I wasn't aware of that)

My comments about not caring are just a slightly harsh way of saying that, while I understand people's arguments about why the ride is the way it is, at the end of the day Universal had their shot to make a ride which would best represent the IP and in my opinion they did not achieve that. Part of that I believe is objective but yes, part of it is because of my preferences for attractions, for example as I mentioned earlier I dislike attempts at interactive games in attractions and would just prefer physical environments and experiences (and even on that level I don't think the interactivity is really anything impressive beyond the purely technical aspect).

I don't dislike the ride. It's fun, it's worth doing. It's very crazy and chaotic and I'm sure for some people that will be right up their alley. I have no doubt it will be a hit with the general public and I'm not oblivious to the fact that forums like this are not an accurate representation of the average theme park demographic. But for me, it's not the ride that I was expecting nor that I think Nintendo/Mario Kart deserves.

Also, just want to mention, it's not an obligation or anything for me to share my perspective here :) I made a post because I know I was/am in a fortunate position to be able to experience the land while most people in the English-speaking world are not able to at the moment. I fully expect and am fine with the fact that many people will disagree with me and will enjoy the ride more than me. That's fine, but as for myself I have to say what I think.

Last edited:
If I missed something then by all means let me know (For example it was pointed out that there is a degree of interactivity in determining which team wins the race, I wasn't aware of that)

My comments about not caring are just a slightly harsh way of saying that, while I understand people's arguments about why the ride is the way it is, at the end of the day Universal had their shot to make a ride which would best represent the IP and in my opinion they did not achieve that. Part of that I believe is objective but yes, part of it is because of my preferences for attractions, for example as I mentioned earlier I dislike attempts at interactive games in attractions and would just prefer physical environments and experiences (and even on that level I don't think the interactivity is really anything impressive beyond the purely technical aspect).

I don't dislike the ride. It's fun, it's worth doing. It's very crazy and chaotic and I'm sure for some people that will be right up their alley. I have no doubt it will be a hit with the general public and I'm not oblivious to the fact that forums like this are not an accurate representation of the average theme park demographic. But for me, it's not the ride that I was expecting nor that I think Nintendo/Mario Kart deserves.

Also, just want to mention, it's not an obligation or anything for me to share my perspective here :) I made a post because I know I was/am in a fortunate position to be able to experience the land while most people in the English-speaking world are not able to at the moment. I fully expect and am fine with the fact that many people will disagree with me and will enjoy the ride more than me. That's fine, but as for myself I have to say what I think.
We’re glad you did! It’s sparked discussion and hearing a first hand account this early is dope. I’m happy you commented!

Reactions: Coolbfitz

I appreciate the follow up.

I saw the bullet list and that comment and kinda threw my hands up. I’m always interested in bigger discussions on design and want does and doesn’t work. For example, the interactivity is described but it’s all pantomimed during the preshow, so clearly that’s something UC could do better in Hollywood and Orlando.

The issue I had with understanding the game was under what conditions you get items. I was assuming it was like the games where the items you get are somewhat random.

After multiple ride throughs it appears that the “items” (just shells, nothing else) are the same every time. In other words you always get shells at certain points on the track and there’s no other items except shells.

The issue I had with understanding the game was under what conditions you get items. I was assuming it was like the games where the items you get are somewhat random.

After multiple ride throughs it appears that the “items” (just shells, nothing else) are the same every time. In other words you always get shells at certain points on the track and there’s no other items except shells.
The number of shells you get is random each time (between 10 to 30-ish usually,) but they are always shells—and you always run through/collect item blocks in the same places along the ride path yes.

Reactions: shiekra38
I feel like making the pre-show a dialogue-less tutorial with Miis was also mistake. Like, I know it's a game and Nintendo likes simplicity. But I feel as if the pre-show should have instead had members from the two teams arguing with each other while explaining the game instructions. To give a better sense of... grandiose and anticipation for the big race.

And WHY are we wearing AR goggles? As far as I can see, there is no context. I know it's cheesy but I like having context as to why I'm wearing glasses (or whatever it should be) on a ride. It adds to the roleplaying element and makes its more believable. It's a cute and usually dumb touch, but it goes a long way for me.

If you take off the goggles, you miss everything that is going on. So...are the characters ghosts? Spooookkky

If we weren't already in the Mushroom Kingdom, this wouldn't bother me as much. If this were say a Wreck-it-Ralph Sugar Rush race, I feel like the AR would make more sense...as those characters are digital beings. In the context of Super Nintendo World, we're in the real Mushroom Kingdom. So, why is it that Mario is a ghost now?

Last edited:
Reactions: dxwwf3
I feel like making the pre-show a dialogue-less tutorial with Miis was also mistake.

No dialogue is a mistake. I've watched preshow videos where guests just talk and don't pay attention. For better or worse when there's a narrated preshow people stop talking and LISTEN. They don't have to even re-do the animation or concept, just add a narration. Explain shell pick ups, how to shoot, and the purpose of coins.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like making the pre-show a dialogue-less tutorial with Miis was also mistake. Like, I know it's a game and Nintendo likes simplicity. But I feel as if the pre-show should have instead had members from the two teams arguing with each other while explaining the game instructions. To give a better sense of... grandiose and anticipation for the big race.
This was another component that felt very natural in Mario's World or a Nintendo World.

IDK, it seems to be effective in my eyes

Reactions: Brer Oswald
No dialogue is a mistake. I've watched preshow videos where guests just talk and don't pay attention. For better or worse when there's a narrated preshow people stop talking and LISTEN. They don't have to even re-do the animation or concept, just add a narration. Explain shell pick ups, how to shoot, and the purpose of coins.

They tried to make a pre-show with no language barrier since young Japanese children don't speak English and most foreign travelers don't speak Japanese which is admirable just didn't work.