Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

(Rumor) New Potter Attraction to Replace Fear Factor Live?

Really? Even a generic VR attraction? I would rather have FFL because at least I could dream that something better would take it's place.
Have you even used a good VR headset before? VR can definitely be a good experience and the tech is only getting better all the time. It's another thing if any parks want to actually put effort into getting it right.

Have you even used a good VR headset before? VR can definitely be a good experience and the tech is only getting better all the time. It's another thing if any parks want to actually put effort into getting it right.
I've been on several VR coasters and the VR simulator at BGW

I was not overly impressed by any, in fact the VR on Kraken was the first time I've ever gotten nauseous on a coaster

I mean, it’s quite feasible. In middle school (mid-nineties) I went to the Air Museum in Central Florida. They had a “dog fight experience” where twelve people “flew” in their own full-motion, one-person simulator against each other in a virtual dog-fight. It was low-res and strictly on a screen, but the combat occupied a 3D space.

That was nearly 20 years ago. Universal absolutely has the ability to amp it up into a full “attraction.”
Agreed to disagree. In the fidelity needed to make the movement synched and good visuals, it would be a nightmare to maintain and get rendering smoothly. For all of Smuggler’s Run talk about how advanced its processors are, they still had to throw it on rails and dump all the missions save for one to get it to work in a theme park setting.

And that’s not even considering getting theme park guests to understand how to play a team sport in 5 minutes and make it enjoyable.

Agreed to disagree. In the fidelity needed to make the movement synched and good visuals, it would be a nightmare to maintain and get rendering smoothly. For all of Smuggler’s Run talk about how advanced its processors are, they still had to throw it on rails and dump all the missions save for one to get it to work in a theme park setting.

And that’s not even considering getting theme park guests to understand how to play a team sport in 5 minutes and make it enjoyable.
A few years later ray tracing tech is going to be a huge improvement over what is in Smuggler's Run. First generation was a huge damper on performance.

Unless everyone is a Seeker, playing in their own game. Then instead of the rider being on rails, the rest of the teams are NPCs.

Because, let’s be honest, the Seeker is the position most guests will want to play. It’s the position that enables teams to “win.” Beaters and Chasers are the equivalent of Smuggler’s Run’s gunners and the Keeper is the engineer.

If the attraction is framed as a try-out for a new Seeker, then everyone gets to play the “best” position while actually streamlining the tech requirements. Seekers don’t really need to do any hand tracking either (which the other positions rely heavily on.

Unless everyone is a Seeker, playing in their own game. Then instead of the rider being on rails, the rest of the teams are NPCs.

Because, let’s be honest, the Seeker is the position most guests will want to play. It’s the position that enables teams to “win.” Beaters and Chasers are the equivalent of Smuggler’s Run’s gunners and the Keeper is the engineer.

If the attraction is framed as a try-out for a new Seeker, then everyone gets to play the “best” position while actually streamlining the tech requirements. Seekers don’t really need to do any hand tracking either (which the other positions rely heavily on.
That would make more sense. I still don’t see that much freedom ending up as anything other than a frustrating mess for the majority of guests tho.

I still don’t see this being anything other than an on rails shooter. It’s the thing that allows for the tech to not be overly stressed as well as giving a fairly standard experience across guest skill levels.

I guess I’m just wondering whatever happened to all the talk we heard after Supercharged opened about how Universal “got” the screens complaint in USF, and that that sort of stuff was off the table for a while in that park.

Record-breaking, highly themed, interactive theme park attraction that utilizes innovative new technology developed specifically for this VR ride? Yes. Generic? No.

It’s still a simulator by other name, though. The screens are just right in front of your eyes instead of out in the space in front of you.

Note: not trying to be argumentative or pedantic.

Aside from quibbles about the VR approach itself, this seems to be the biggest hurdle to me.

Even after seven books and eight movies, I'm still not confident about what all the positions do, and I’m a fan. Try to explain to a layperson how this sport works in a preshow, and see how much info is retained.

I can’t see it being quidditch. What if someone catches the snitch in 2 min? I think it’ll be a guided tour on a broomstick with limited if any choice on moving the broom.

I feel like some of you have never used VR to see it’s pure potential. Also nobody said this had to be a major E ticket attraction. It just needs to be something better then a theater with a close to 20 year old out dated show.

Getting ahead of myself, but it would be cool if the experiences were randomized. Or, during HHN for instance, you could be chased or battle Death Eaters.

Would also be cool if you could just choose to fly around the grounds of Hogwarts, etc.

@Alicia I know this is putting the cart before the horse, but if this concept moves parks: does this leave a hole in EU for possible expansion, or do you think it will be replaced day 1?
This isn’t the right thread, and I’m not certain yet, but I would guess if they’re taking something away from the park they’re probably adding something else to it at the same time. ;)

Personally I think it's a great move, a VR experience trying to anchor a land in a new park never made sense to me, DA is In need of another ride/experience to make the land even more of a powerhouse and to me with adding this attraction DA is the unofficial/official anchor to USF. But with that said If one of if not all of the following (Simpsons, Fallon, FF, Shrek) are not replaced by the opening I would be very unhappy. #teamvr

Personally I think it's a great move, a VR experience trying to anchor a land in a new park never made sense to me, DA is In need of another ride/experience to make the land even more of a powerhouse and to me with adding this attraction DA is the unofficial/official anchor to USF. But with that said If one of if not all of the following (Simpsons, Fallon, FF, Shrek) are not replaced by the opening I would be very unhappy. #teamvr
VR attraction wasn’t the anchor of the EU land tho