Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Iron Gwazi (General Discussion)

I was there last night for July 4th...two thoughts on IG (no I don't know when it will open):

1. This coaster COMMANDS attention...people were stopping to gauk at it, take pictures, and I heard a lot of "We're coming back for that one"

2. As far as line-up, as much as I love BGT's line-up, it's showing its age. Their most recent additions have been a Mack spinner and a SkyRocketII...and as fun as Cobra's Curse is (and as necessary as it was to provide another step up coaster) they are decent filler attractions. At this point coaster tech has surpassed Montu, Kumba, and my beloved SheiKra...Iron Gwazi will position them for their next generation of coasters. Veloci made me realize that BGT is losing it's strong hold as the "place for the good coasters".

3. I think after IG and Jethro opens it's time to consider Florida's first giga. I don't believe they will work with Intamin again, so it would be B&M or possibly the world's first T-Rex (wouldn't that be something?)

Veloci made me realize that BGT is losing it's strong hold as the "place for the good coasters".
I don't know if I would agree.
The GP still recognizes that BG is coaster central, I don't think it matters whether Montu and Kumba are old. They are still fun and that is what guests care about the most.
Will they eventually start to get unrideable? Yes eventually, but we aren't there yet.

The GP still recognizes that BG is coaster central, I don't think it matters whether Montu and Kumba are old. They are still fun and that is what guests care about the most.
Will they eventually start to get unrideable? Yes eventually, but we aren't there yet.
Kumba and Montu are ridiculously smooth, and they will continue to be iconic. However, the point I was making is that they desperately need something that's a high thrill attraction preferably built in this decade. An RMC is the perfect response and I couldn't think of a better addition.

In other words, IG will only serve to highlight the collection BGT has.

I was there last night for July 4th...two thoughts on IG (no I don't know when it will open):

1. This coaster COMMANDS attention...people were stopping to gauk at it, take pictures, and I heard a lot of "We're coming back for that one"

2. As far as line-up, as much as I love BGT's line-up, it's showing its age. Their most recent additions have been a Mack spinner and a SkyRocketII...and as fun as Cobra's Curse is (and as necessary as it was to provide another step up coaster) they are decent filler attractions. At this point coaster tech has surpassed Montu, Kumba, and my beloved SheiKra...Iron Gwazi will position them for their next generation of coasters. Veloci made me realize that BGT is losing it's strong hold as the "place for the good coasters".

3. I think after IG and Jethro opens it's time to consider Florida's first giga. I don't believe they will work with Intamin again, so it would be B&M or possibly the world's first T-Rex (wouldn't that be something?)
I went on the 5th and you have my exact opinion.

I marathoned Sheikra and I love it, but y'know...it's a dive coaster. Tigris is thrilling, but doesn't scratch much of a itch for me. Kumba is good but losing its luster for me. Same with Montu. I'm honestly not a big fan of positive Gs and inversions (Kumba's zero g roll still slaps, but it's the only part of the ride I really care for these days). Cheetah Hunt is just fun, but nothing to write home about (and screw the ridiculous wait times). Cobra's Curse was a perfect addition to me. IG will also be a perfect addition as well as the Screaming Swing.

If certain parks can have multiple B&M airtime machines, then the SWC can have two separate ones at two separate parks, and I agree a single rail is basically the only other addition that would turn heads if not some crazy Intamin that seems unlikely when Uni gave us that already (and they already have a multi launch).

The Giga feels like the only thing they might actually be able to squeeze in unless they're going to get rid of something or raze festival field for the single rail (and even then probably just a clone of the basic model).

Ultimately, the lineup is starting to feel stale. Obviously IG will solve this for the foreseeable future, but I couldn't help but look to the future.

The GP must feel this way too. I can't remember the last time I waited more than a train or two for Kumba and the Montu isn't much better. I know they're capacity monsters, but still.

Last edited:

I marathoned Sheikra and I love it, but y'know...it's a dive coaster. Tigris is thrilling, but doesn't scratch much of a itch for me. Kumba is good but losing its luster for me. Same with Montu. I'm honestly not a big fan of positive Gs and inversions (Kumba's zero g roll still slaps, but it's the only part of the ride I really care for these days). Cheetah Hunt is just fun, but nothing to write home about (and screw the ridiculous wait times). Cobra's Curse was a perfect addition to me. IG will also be a perfect addition as well as the Screaming Swing.

If certain parks can have multiple B&M airtime machines, then the SWC can have two separate ones at two separate parks, and I agree a single rail is basically the only other addition that would turn heads if not some crazy Intamin that seems unlikely when Uni gave us that already (and they already have a multi launch).

The Giga feels like the only thing they might actually be able to squeeze in unless they're going to get rid of something or raze festival field for the single rail (and even then probably just a clone of the basic model).

Ultimately, the lineup is starting to feel stale. Obviously IG will solve this for the foreseeable future, but I couldn't help but look to the future.

The GP must feel this way too. I can't remember the last time I waited more than a train or two for Kumba and the Montu isn't much better. I know they're capacity monsters, but still.
Montu has a decent wait everytime I'm near it, but you're right about Kumba. That might just be due to Kumbas location though.

Lat time I went I had 30 minute lines for both coaster, and that was a Friday. Not even was it a high cap Saturday.
Montu has a decent wait everytime I'm near it, but you're right about Kumba. That might just be due to Kumba's location though.
Kumba does get low wait times sometimes though I admit, I blame the location the most so I definitely agree. Feels like it's tucked away back there.

IMO, a single rail would be great right next to Jethro (and lord knows they have the space for it).

Kumba and Montu are also somewhat hurt by their locations: Far ends of the park that are somewhat unclear on how to access.

Yes, I'm in NO way saying that Montu and Kumba are "bad" or "don't ride well"...They are some of the smoothest old school B&M's around.

I am saying that IG will serve well to accent BGT's stellar coaster collection and rejuvinate some fire

As for the Giga my thoughts are:

1) Please see what's next for BGT thread lol

That’s your opinion. While I too want more new rides and coasters, it seems the general public overall seem to love all the coasters there. I think this long delay in opening Iron Gwazi is what’s driving us all crazy.

I would love a B&M hyper/giga after IG would be amazing.

That’s your opinion. While I too want more new rides and coasters, it seems the general public overall seem to love all the coasters there. I think this long delay in opening Iron Gwazi is what’s driving us all crazy.

They do, but at some point, you have to add something new that makes a splash

Busch Gardens is already a staple in Florida, and Iron Gwazi will solidify that. There's no immediate need after IG opens, especially on the coaster side. If a new coaster is planned, I'd argue there's a more pressing matter for a family coaster before another big coaster.

Capacity aside. Cheetah Hunt being consistently over two hours and Kumba and Montu being 30 or less suggests they're not as much of a draw.

I didn't say they aren't good rides, and I wouldn't suggest removal unless they reach the end of their service life.

Busch Gardens is already a staple in Florida, and Iron Gwazi will solidify that. There's no immediate need after IG opens, especially on the coaster side. If a new coaster is planned, I'd argue there's a more pressing matter for a family coaster before another big coaster.

I'd be pretty satisfied with that in-between the next big coaster.

A water coaster would be amazing (but they're obsessed with Sea World and Busch being complimentary parks, so I don't see that happening). A Vekoma Suspended would be great or something like Fire Chaser.

Last edited:

BG really could use a dark ride. It will be a pretty complete park coaster wise when IG opens. Seriously, just cobble together a Sally track and some screenz and put on the Sesame gang. Just SOMETHING that can be open when Florida weather rears its head.

Capacity aside. Cheetah Hunt being consistently over two hours and Kumba and Montu being 30 or less suggests they're not as much of a draw.

I didn't say they aren't good rides, and I wouldn't suggest removal unless they reach the end of their service life.

I'd be pretty satisfied with that in-between the next big coaster.

A water coaster would be amazing (but they're obsessed with Sea World and Busch being complimentary parks, so I don't see that happening). A Vekoma Suspended would be great or something like Fire Chaser.

I think Cheetah Hunt has longer waits for 3 reasons:
1. Lower capacity

2. Technical issues are far more common

3. More of a family coaster vs the B&Ms…more people willing to ride it.

I agree that they could use another ‘family’ coaster…and with the removal of Tidal Wave I think a new water coaster would be perfect…you’d have a new coaster and water ride all in one.

1. Lower capacity

I agree that they could use another ‘family’ coaster…and with the removal of Tidal Wave I think a new water coaster would be perfect…you’d have a new coaster and water ride all in one.

Cheetah Hunt and especially Cobra’s Curse are not very good at capacity. The ‘Thoosie community may dog B&M non-giga/hypers but they’re people eaters.

1. Lower capacity

It's Busch Garden Ops. Their operations are terrible. Most of the time they only have 2 people loading the train and checking restraints and they are never in a hurry. My last time on cheetah hunt it took them 4 mins the load my train and dispatch it. That's Six Flags level operations. That's why there's always a longer wait.

It's Busch Garden Ops. Their operations are terrible. Most of the time they only have 2 people loading the train and checking restraints and they are never in a hurry. My last time on cheetah hunt it took them 4 mins the load my train and dispatch it. That's Six Flags level operations. That's why there's always a longer wait.
I agree, Gwazi used to be a nightmare, super slow in loading.

1. Lower capacity
To this point, they are hardly ever using the dual load station..So essentially they're cutting their capacity in half

Also, Cheetah is one of the more approachable coasters to a lot of folks...or as the kids call it, popular

The ‘Thoosie community may dog B&M non-giga/hypers but they’re people eaters.
They're also great and reliable