Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

CityWalk Hollywood

Looks like Universal is having staffing issues. Vivo temporarily closed on a holiday weekend. Antojitos closed their waitlist and NBC brew is not open yet. 9A56F52E-88A2-4167-947A-3719C34FD962.jpeg

Vivo has been closed for over a week. It's due to staffing issues. They don't have enough staff to utilize all of Antojitos, much less two other first party restaurants.

There were folks inside the NBC Grill & Brew this afternoon. Probably a friends and family thing or an employee preview, but definitely folks inside eating. All the “opening soon” signs were up, but there were two people at the host station outside and they were leading people into the restaurant.

City Walk is definitely in a weird state, but there are some occasional signs of rebound. Has anyone heard anything at all about Toothsome?

To me its insane how many places need people...hope it ends with everyone getting better pay/work environments
We're in a state currently where the potential employee has the power in an interview. There's so many openings all around that it's sort of a pick what you want and because of the, that means if the employer isn't offering enough in pay/benefits, they're going to be struggling to find people for awhile. I expect USH will fill out their positions by HHN, but I also don't know what pay is there compared to competition (other restaurants in the area).

We're in a state currently where the potential employee has the power in an interview. There's so many openings all around that it's sort of a pick what you want and because of the, that means if the employer isn't offering enough in pay/benefits, they're going to be struggling to find people for awhile. I expect USH will fill out their positions by HHN, but I also don't know what pay is there compared to competition (other restaurants in the area).
It’s definitely not enough

While the work isn’t “hard” it’s full of really bad people and lots of stress. They need to give them more benefits and reasons to work
It’s time to spread the wealth and stop pretending we are in the 1950s every job that is needed should pay enough for you to comfortably live

It’s definitely not enough

While the work isn’t “hard” it’s full of really bad people and lots of stress. They need to give them more benefits and reasons to work
It’s time to spread the wealth and stop pretending we are in the 1950s every job that is needed should pay enough for you to comfortably live

What is enough then? Please don't say a living wage.

What is enough then? Please don't say a living wage.
Here is what I love...you assume because old people raised you that this job has no real value and anyone can do it.....its a lie

If anyone could do it then we would not have shortages on the workforce right now. If a job needs doing and it brings profits to a business then there is zero reasons for it not to make you enough money to live

Lets pretend the job makes 60K a year, are you quitting your job and working there? I bet not

You have to work weekend, with a bunch or people who can be nice but mostly are a pain in your ass, its a pretty thankless job and stressful it's overall a job we need BUT just don't pay people for and all the money goes up to the higher up....do they work harder sitting behind a desk making decisions? They get about ten+ times the pay, more vacation and so on but they do ten times the work of a person on their feet all day?

Its just all made up BS, i have ZERO issues with paying normal people more and stock holders, CEO's and the higher ups make a little less. No reason to shame people for working a job that must be done and most people do not want to do

...."because old people raised you"...?

I don't want to get too into this, but I think part of the issue is people are mixing up job with career. They're not the same thing, nor should they make the same wages (at least IMO). Jobs are generally meant to be temporary/transitional, need little training, and minimal advancement opportunities. Careers require more training/education (think nursing, teaching, engineering, etc.), have advancement opportunities, and are generally considered more lifelong. People change jobs all the time, but a career change is more unusual.

It's always been a bit of a struggle to make a living wage with a job... hence why people often have more than one, have roomates, etc. I think the issue is it's now not just a struggle, but next to impossible.

So yeah, jobs should still get a raise. But to equate it with a career isn't really fair either.

...."because old people raised you"...?

I don't want to get too into this, but I think part of the issue is people are mixing up job with career. They're not the same thing, nor should they make the same wages (at least IMO). Jobs are generally meant to be temporary/transitional, need little training, and minimal advancement opportunities. Careers require more training/education (think nursing, teaching, engineering, etc.), have advancement opportunities, and are generally considered more lifelong. People change jobs all the time, but a career change is more unusual.

It's always been a bit of a struggle to make a living wage with a job... hence why people often have more than one, have roomates, etc. I think the issue is it's now not just a struggle, but next to impossible.

So yeah, jobs should still get a raise. But to equate it with a career isn't really fair either.
We don't have enough careers

Maybe if Companies restructured but they aren't so to many jobs become life and there is just not enough "careers" that pay well enough to live in most places. But literally if they just split the money more fairly literally everyone can have a job at 60K plus and we are fine. We don't need billionaires, heck even if you have a million on your person at one time you have too much money. Look up the wage gap and its been growing since the 70s.

I once again have ZERO problems with paying people living wages when no one is REALLY upset that a CEO makes about 100 times what they should but a normal person literally trying to live needs two jobs...right

Why not? That's the answer. A job needs to give you the resources you need to live... otherwise, why work there? Especially in the punishing service industry?

These places need to provide competitive living wages, or they are going to struggle to find employees.
I get that, no argument. What is a living wage though? What is the definition of it? That is what I am asking. I don't care what the job is. What is a living wage?

We don't have enough careers

Maybe if Companies restructured but they aren't so to many jobs become life and there is just not enough "careers" that pay well enough to live in most places. But literally if they just split the money more fairly literally everyone can have a job at 60K plus and we are fine. We don't need billionaires, heck even if you have a million on your person at one time you have too much money. Look up the wage gap and its been growing since the 70s.

I once again have ZERO problems with paying people living wages when no one is REALLY upset that a CEO makes about 100 times what they should but a normal person literally trying to live needs two jobs...right
No, I have one job and live just fine. I support my wife and kids. I have never worked two jobs to live.

No, I have one job and live just fine. I support my wife and kids. I have never worked two jobs to live.
Good for you, not everyone is as lucky. To think just because YOU are fine doesn't mean millions of others are being under paid. Literally doesn't even affect you to pay people more. Your example is like saying "I didn't get Covid...so Covid can't be real" lol

As for your amount it should be based off the cost of living, Universal is in CA and the city of LA, so yeah you need these people to be able to live so at least 60 thousand bucks to not be in debt or basically starving.

I get that, no argument. What is a living wage though? What is the definition of it? That is what I am asking. I don't care what the job is. What is a living wage?

Apparently, more than what they're currently paying. There are actual metrics for what is considered a "living wage" in Los Angeles that is tied to cost of living expenses, specifically, and I believe it's somewhere around 50K-60K.

Apparently, more than what they're currently paying. There are actual metrics for what is considered a "living wage" in Los Angeles that is tied to cost of living expenses, specifically, and I believe it's somewhere around 50K-60K.
Therein lies the problem, as most of these service jobs pay far less than that so most people working them need two or three to sustain themselves. That is also a problem as all of these jobs require you to keep an open availability, have constantly shifting schedules, and little to no benefits. It's just not worth it.

Yeah, a "living wage" is not the same across the board. In LA it's far higher than it would be in Orlando, and Orlando is far higher than it would be in somewhere like Omaha. A living wage is simply how much it takes for you to do exactly that - live. How much are you paying for your house/apartment, car/gas, groceries, etc, etc.

Extra things like going to a movie or out to dinner also cost more in LA than in other cities. Wanna see Black Widow in LA tomorrow? That'll be $20 in a place like LA. In Omaha, going to see a movie will be $8.56 according to fandango.

And the living wage is really just how much is needed to come out slightly in the green. It's not like people are making hand over fist amounts of money. Just because you hear $16-$17/hour and you think that sounds incredibly high, you may only think that because you live somewhere where the living wage is much lower. A wage like that in LA still means that people have to work incredibly hard and probably have to work two jobs just to get by.

Yeah, a "living wage" is not the same across the board. In LA it's far higher than it would be in Orlando, and Orlando is far higher than it would be in somewhere like Omaha. A living wage is simply how much it takes for you to do exactly that - live. How much are you paying for your house/apartment, car/gas, groceries, etc, etc.

Extra things like going to a movie or out to dinner also cost more in LA than in other cities. Wanna see Black Widow in LA tomorrow? That'll be $20 in a place like LA. In Omaha, going to see a movie will be $8.56 according to fandango.

And the living wage is really just how much is needed to come out slightly in the green. It's not like people are making hand over fist amounts of money. Just because you hear $16-$17/hour and you think that sounds incredibly high, you may only think that because you live somewhere where the living wage is much lower. A wage like that in LA still means that people have to work incredibly hard and probably have to work two jobs just to get by.
And the problem with continuously raising minimum wage is everything increases along with it. So in the end, it feels like you were making the same as before.