Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Dollywood!

Just got back from Pigeon Forge like a week and a half ago.

Anakeesta was fantastic highly recommend as was the new skybridge. Ripleys attractions are a skip unless you have little kids. Gatlins is a place often overlooked but highly recommend checking out one of their escape games and the rope course.

If you want a real thrill check out FoxFire Mountain and do their zip line tour. They offer two, the tree top and the Goliath. The Goliath is not for the faint of heart with the main line being 475 ft off the ground while hitting a top speed of 70mph.

I’ve done all the mountain coasters and my favorite is the one right across the street from Dollywood, and if you bring your Dollywood ticket you get a discount on your ride.

Finally food, if you like BBQ you have to try Bennett’s they have two locations in the area. Also the Pancake Pantry is fantastic just be advised it’s cash only there. Skip Paula Dean, Red Rooster, and Lumberjacks for breakfast.

Went to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge about 2 weeks ago. Walked over the skybridge which was nice. Also did the Smokey Mountain Alpine Coaster which was super fun, didn't do any other mountain coasters, maybe next time. Also went to Dollywood which was fantastic, especially Lightning Rod, Mystery Mine and Firechaser Express. Was a bit disappointed with Wild Eagle which was very shaky.
Didn't do any of the other tourist attractions in the Smokey Mountains area besides visiting The Island which was nice. Also saw some bears in the Smokey's (Cades Cove and Roaring Fork motor loops). Overall a very fun destination.

Anakeesta was fantastic highly recommend as was the new skybridge. Ripleys attractions are a skip unless you have little kids. Gatlins is a place often overlooked but highly recommend checking out one of their escape games and the rope course.

If you want a real thrill check out FoxFire Mountain and do their zip line tour. They offer two, the tree top and the Goliath. The Goliath is not for the faint of heart with the main line being 475 ft off the ground while hitting a top speed of 70mph.

I’ve done all the mountain coasters and my favorite is the one right across the street from Dollywood, and if you bring your Dollywood ticket you get a discount on your ride.

Finally food, if you like BBQ you have to try Bennett’s they have two locations in the area. Also the Pancake Pantry is fantastic just be advised it’s cash only there. Skip Paula Dean, Red Rooster, and Lumberjacks for breakfast.

Lots of awesome tips! Thanks! :cheers:

Did you end up doing the Goliath zipline or just did the less goliath-y one? Also what's the name of the coaster across the street from Dollywood?

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to check out that FoxFire Mountain Zip Line!

Did you end up doing the Goliath zipline or just did the less goliath-y one? Also what's the name of the coaster across the street from Dollywood?

I'm thinking this one? I think this is the best one in the area.

SMOKY MOUNTAIN ALPINE COASTER - Home

We did the Goliath course, it had 5 zip lines over its course. It’s crazy too, the first zip line you do is like a ice breaker just to get you familiar with the concept. The very next one is GOLIATH lol. So you go from training weeeeeeeeeeee toooo Mutha noooooooooooooooooooo real quick. Then once you think you’ve made it the 3rd line is still 40 stories in the air lol. Overall though highly recommend just bring a change of underwear.

I don’t remember the name of the mountain coaster, I just know it’s the newest one in the area and it’s about 4 blocks south of the Dollywood entrance.

We did the Goliath course, it had 5 zip lines over its course. It’s crazy too, the first zip line you do is like a ice breaker just to get you familiar with the concept. The very next one is GOLIATH lol. So you go from training weeeeeeeeeeee toooo Mutha noooooooooooooooooooo real quick. Then once you think you’ve made it the 3rd line is still 40 stories in the air lol. Overall though highly recommend just bring a change of underwear.

I don’t remember the name of the mountain coaster, I just know it’s the newest one in the area and it’s about 4 blocks south of the Dollywood entrance.

Sounds amazing and right up my alley. Can't wait to get up there!

Wow.....Dollywood seems to be making their "largest investment" almost every season these days. I wonder what it might be?

I know they're supposed to be adding a second hotel.

"Largest investment plan in Dollywood history" doesn't mean much since it could encompass several years of small investments rather than one BIG thing.

I know they're supposed to be adding a second hotel.

"Largest investment plan in Dollywood history" doesn't mean much since it could encompass several years of small investments rather than one BIG thing.
But the last largest investment included several years of some smaller investments and this is bigger. I doubt it covers more years. We went this year and the park was slammed. I think given the tourism in the region this park could do 5 million guests a year with another large round of investments.

The retracked Lightning Rod is confirmed to open with the park in a few weeks, while Mystery Mine’s retracking will delay its reopening until a few weeks after the park reopens.

Glad to hear they’re retracking Mystery Mine. We went to the park for the first time in 2019 and it was a downright painful experience.

Dollywood is planning for a Multi-generational, all ages, rollercoaster; being planned to open by 2023 alongside a new restraunt. Additionally, Dollywood will be spending the next few years expanding their resort offerings.

Dollywood is planning for a Multi-generational, all ages, rollercoaster; being planned to open by 2023 alongside a new restraunt. Additionally, Dollywood will be spending the next few years expanding their resort offerings.
I believe they said a few months ago that their next addition is going to be from someone they've never worked with before, so this really sounds like an Intamin family coaster to me.

I believe they said a few months ago that their next addition is going to be from someone they've never worked with before, so this really sounds like an Intamin family coaster to me.

A food for thought--what if it's an Intamin Hyper, like Hyperion from Energylandia, Konda from Walabi, and Pantheon from BGW, just in a way that can be for mostly all ages.

I'd partly guess if it's Intamin, the Single Rail models; if Herschend is going to be the first for outside of Luna Park to get their hands on the new coaster.

Visiting the park for the first time right now (just stopping for a drink break) and I think this is my new favorite park. I like it better than IOA and BGT by a significant margin. Just spectacular all around.

It's also hilarious than I've been staring at Iron Gwazi at my home park for two years, only for Lightning Rod to be my first RMC. Thanks a lot Busch Gardens, I appreciate it.

Visiting the park for the first time right now (just stopping for a drink break) and I think this is my new favorite park. I like it better than IOA and BGT by a significant margin. Just spectacular all around.

It's also hilarious than I've been staring at Iron Gwazi at my home park for two years, only for Lightning Rod to be my first RMC. Thanks a lot Busch Gardens, I appreciate it.

We where there for the first time about a month ago. we had 3 days at Dollywood. LR was fantastic. Fire chaser was great we rode 15 ro 20 times but its no Hagrid. Mystery mine was unique and awesome enjoyed that one several times. Dragonflier was surprisingly intense for a kid ride i think my 6 YO son Grayed out on it but he rode it a few times. The park as a whole is beautiful but is not on the level with Universal or Islands. Its above Epcot for sure. I put i close to the other Disney parks but im not a big fan of Disney. There are parts of Dollywood that shows is age. That said the new areas you can tell are to a higher standard and left me wanting more of the newer parts of dolly. My biggest disappointment was the ques I missed the AC in the indoor ques at Uni. The heat really drained us much more than Uni. I belive that was due to not haveing the ac breaks in the lines. I will surely return but will not be a yearly thing.

I’ll be going to visit some family in Chattanooga in a few weeks and we plan to take a couple days to visit this park. I’ve never been before, any tips for a first timer, best rides to hit etc?