Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Family Trip

The pricing is all over the place. When I looked at a week trip to Spain, it would still be cheaper to go to Orlando and not do anything and just enjoy the sun.

My pessimistic side is also thinking if I get covid and I end up in the hospital, what country would be best for such a situation.

It's grim, no doubt.

There is still hope though. Friend of mine who has a lot of chest issues tested positive last week and is suffering only bad cold like symptoms after double vax. Here's hoping you don't get it but that sort of anecdotal experience does make me more confident about going about life a bit.

Here's hoping we're both enjoying the Florida sun soon enough

I’m hoping that my flights get cancelled to save the aggravation of rescheduling. I used my miles for the flights and I’d need to find a miles flight to reschedule which will probably be impossible next year.

Currently looking at Cyprus as an alternative but when I was on the Virgin website, Barbados is coming up as a very tempting option. Would be cheaper using my miles.

I’m hoping that my flights get cancelled to save the aggravation of rescheduling. I used my miles for the flights and I’d need to find a miles flight to reschedule which will probably be impossible next year.

Currently looking at Cyprus as an alternative but when I was on the Virgin website, Barbados is coming up as a very tempting option. Would be cheaper using my miles.
Either way pictures are appreciated. I wish you luck in getting the cancelation in a timely manner.

Caribbean is very tempting and reasonable price wise (for now). I'm with you on the flight cancellation front, weirdly they don't seem to be cancelling as far out now so don't know what that's about as there are no signs of the travel ban being dropped.

Caribbean is very tempting and reasonable price wise (for now). I'm with you on the flight cancellation front, weirdly they don't seem to be cancelling as far out now so don't know what that's about as there are no signs of the travel ban being dropped.

I think the borders are going to open up. If the US and EU can come to the UK for a holiday without quarantine, it would seem crazy for that to be a one way street.

I think the borders are going to open up. If the US and EU can come to the UK for a holiday without quarantine, it would seem crazy for that to be a one way street.

Yeah there's sense in that, but just watched the Press Secretary once again swerve the question at a covid briefing. It seems a bit nuts, a fully vaxed and tested individual should be treated the same no matter where they departed from. Similarly, the ban isn't in place for several lower vaccinated countries which just makes a mockery of it all.

Can you tell it's literally all I read about now?!

That all being said, cases in FL right now don't exactly fill me with the usual one month to go until holiday excitement...

Yeah there's sense in that, but just watched the Press Secretary once again swerve the question at a covid briefing. It seems a bit nuts, a fully vaxed and tested individual should be treated the same no matter where they departed from. Similarly, the ban isn't in place for several lower vaccinated countries which just makes a mockery of it all.

Can you tell it's literally all I read about now?!

That all being said, cases in FL right now don't exactly fill me with the usual one month to go until holiday excitement...

I’m the same. That’s why I’m kind of hoping the flights get cancelled to just make the decision for me.

Im meant to be flying out 5 weeks tomorrow and at this point, my wife would have her suitcase pretty much packed ready to go.

Weirdly, having a mask mandate in Orlando would make me feel more comfortable going.

All we can really do is wait and see.

@Scott W.

I hear you... 5 weeks on Wednesday here.

I agree about the mask mandate, so from that perspective I wouldn't be against the going if I could. It's just such a messed up time that it's the not knowing that's worse.

One way or another, I'm vacationing somewhere in 5 weeks time.

Last edited:
@Scott W.

I hear you... 5 weeks on Wednesday here.

I agree about the mask mandate, so from that perspective I wouldn't be against the going if I could. It's just such a messed up time that it's the not knowing that's worse.

One way or another, I'm vacationing somewhere in 5 weeks time.

You heard anything, mate?

I see that Virgin will be flying from Edinburgh. I’m just about ready to pull the trigger on heading to Barbados. I’ve got a voucher that needs to be used by the end of the year. Just waiting on my flights being cancelled but apparently Virgin are ramping up recruiting just now.

You heard anything, mate?

I see that Virgin will be flying from Edinburgh. I’m just about ready to pull the trigger on heading to Barbados. I’ve got a voucher that needs to be used by the end of the year. Just waiting on my flights being cancelled but apparently Virgin are ramping up recruiting just now.

The silence is deafening... Heard nothing. I did read online somewhere that Virgin, Tui and BA had all cancelled to Aug 31st. I had also noticed a lot of chat on speculation of Labor Day but it's just rumours I believe.

As for Edinburgh, yup, direct flights as of March 2022 twice a week to MCO. Great news for me! And if (when) my HHN trip is cancelled I'm sorely tempted to book Barbados for December too. :grin:

The silence is deafening... Heard nothing. I did read online somewhere that Virgin, Tui and BA had all cancelled to Aug 31st. I had also noticed a lot of chat on speculation of Labor Day but it's just rumours I believe.

As for Edinburgh, yup, direct flights as of March 2022 twice a week to MCO. Great news for me! And if (when) my HHN trip is cancelled I'm sorely tempted to book Barbados for December too. :grin:

I'm not sure if the Glasgow flights are still going ahead as well when the Edinburgh route is introduced.

If I go to Barbados, I'll be sure to write a review.

I'm not sure if the Glasgow flights are still going ahead as well when the Edinburgh route is introduced.

If I go to Barbados, I'll be sure to write a review.

They’ve confirmed that they are pulling out of Glasgow and all Orlando flights will now be out of Edinburgh. The website is shockingly still letting you book from Glasgow.

Being west coast based and about an hour outside of Glasgow, this move is not good for us.

That's my flights officially cancelled. I'm actually feeling relieved.

They’ve confirmed that they are pulling out of Glasgow and all Orlando flights will now be out of Edinburgh. The website is shockingly still letting you book from Glasgow.

Being west coast based and about an hour outside of Glasgow, this move is not good for us.

I hate Glasgow Airport with a passion, so I'm not too bothered. I would rather drive to Manchester and fly from there. The last time I flew in GLA, two of my wife's friends left MCO an hour before us flying into Manchester and got home before we did. It took an hour and a half for the first bags to come out from departing the plane.

I live in Hamilton. Glasgow Airport is about a 30min drive and Edinburgh Airport is about a 40min drive.

If you're to the west of Glasgow though, that will be a pain in the arse.

Your situation is unpleasant, of course, I had the same thing! When I was going to fly on vacation to the Maldives, it was right before the start of the pandemic, and the flight was also canceled. But by the way, as soon as the quarantine ended, I immediately flew on vacation. Regarding the choice of the country, I agree with you. It would help if you approached this wisely. But I would recommend that you pay attention to the Maldives. I've been there three times already, and each time was unforgettable. Only if you choose this country as a vacation destination, then take a look at vacaytrends.com for a small guide on how to do it.

We've looked at the Maldives before, it looks great. We had planned to visit Japan for a week and then have a week of rest in the Maldives when we were looking. Maybe someday.

Edit: Welcome to the forums :toast:

That's my flights officially cancelled. I'm actually feeling relieved.

I am waiting for the same here still, totally get the relief part...

I have family in the UAE, might end up there once we get confirmation of cancellation. It will be great to see them but feeling a bit bummed on missing what looks like a cracker of a year of HHN.

I hate Glasgow Airport with a passion, so I'm not too bothered. I would rather drive to Manchester and fly from there. The last time I flew in GLA, two of my wife's friends left MCO an hour before us flying into Manchester and got home before we did. It took an hour and a half for the first bags to come out from departing the plane.

I live in Hamilton. Glasgow Airport is about a 30min drive and Edinburgh Airport is about a 40min drive.

If you're to the west of Glasgow though, that will be a pain in the arse.

We’re North Ayrshire. South West of Glasgow right on the coast. Takes us 45mins on a good day to get to Glasgow Airport and to get to Edinburgh Airport means driving right past Glasgow Airport.

Done early morning flights a few times from Edinburgh before and they’ve been an experience I’m not keen to repeat. Stayed overnight in a hotel the last time to simply not run the M8 gauntlet. Even trying to leave super early, there always seems to be some accident on that route that grinds everything to a halt. Once you take hotel and airport parking costs into account, I think it might be cheaper travelling from Manchester. Either that or look at non direct flights from Glasgow.

This change is a bit of a pain for us.

Barbados ended up becoming ridiculously expensive for staying at the Sandals resort we wanted.

We've booked up for Cyprus for a week on Wednesday.

Having not done this type of holiday outside of Florida, California, Hawaii and Vegas in about 10 years, it does feel remarkably cheap.
Ouzo! Opa!

Last edited: