Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disneyland Resort

Confusing news....While Disneyland has wayyyy less crowds then before the hours just got lifted to 11 PM for Disneyland

Also DCA event starts September the 17th but the hours are until 10 PM for everyone, how? Doesn't the park close early for ticketed events?

Max pass has a new name. Plus pay to skip the lines. Former AP could add max pass but Magic Keys do not have the option at this time. So $20 bucks a day. Chapek really screwed passholders. Disney Genie Service to Reimagine the Guest Experience at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort

This is exactly what everyone was afraid of. Now FastPass is entirely behind a paywall, what a shame. I really wonder how this will affect things here in California, as I know tons of locals are the ones who are still visiting the parks.

MaxPass was so much better than FP though. This is essentially that.
Is it?

Why is their an option for paying extra for two other rides then? To me this sounds like Genie only has X amount of rides you can use the lightening pass on then pay more. While Max Pass I think you could use as much as you wanted as long as passes have not run out for the day

I think this point might be getting lost

So from what I understand, you can pay a flat fee of $20 to get unlimited lightning passes for the day. However, you will be limited to one lightning pass at a time. However however, certain high-demand attractions will have per-person pricing based. Attractions with virtual queues will also have purchase options. In the words of one Josh D'Amaro:

"Now there’s another option on top of the virtual queue so if Rise of the Resistance is the reason you’re at Disneyland or Disney’s Hollywood Studios, there will be an option for you to purchase Rise of the Resistance."

The free app looks pretty cool, NGL. And hopefully that means less lines since most people don't want to pay extra. While $20 is a great deal for a FP, this is essentially what people have been wanting all along to mostly get rid of it. If it balloons and it's just as bad as before, then yeah, I'm annoyed. But if it's better, great. I'm gonna wait around and see before I feel too much one way or the other about it.

Part of the fun of going to Disneyland has (for me) always been the idea of spontaneity. Wanna hit up, say, Roger Rabbit, then bounce over to Thunder Mountain, hop to Star Tours, then double back over to grab a Dole Whip? Cool, let’s do it.

The RotR reservation system, among other things, and the perpetual headache/disappointment surrounding that system, was a big sign of things to come, and this is just one more big leap away from the freedom of enjoying the park(s) how you want to. The last thing I wanna be doing is watching Disney drain my phone battery because I constantly have to have an app open to set up a schedule for what rides I wanna do, where I want to eat, where I just want to get a damn water bottle or something, and when I want to do it because, if I don’t, then I’m sore outta luck.

Maybe it’s being dramatic, but god… It’s something that should be so simple, yet it’s like they have to make it needlessly more and more complicated for everyone. I feel like we’re a stone’s throw away from Disney announcing they’re closing every standby line for the rides and just creating queues for the shops for us to wait in instead until we’re blessed with our call time for a ride. I can’t help but wonder what Walt himself would think of someone like Chapek or how the simplicity of something so breezy as “a day at Disneyland” is being warped into something so convoluted…

/rant

Part of the fun of going to Disneyland has (for me) always been the idea of spontaneity. Wanna hit up, say, Roger Rabbit, then bounce over to Thunder Mountain, hop to Star Tours, then double back over to grab a Dole Whip? Cool, let’s do it.

The RotR reservation system, among other things, and the perpetual headache/disappointment surrounding that system, was a big sign of things to come, and this is just one more big leap away from the freedom of enjoying the park(s) how you want to. The last thing I wanna be doing is watching Disney drain my phone battery because I constantly have to have an app open to set up a schedule for what rides I wanna do, where I want to eat, where I just want to get a damn water bottle or something, and when I want to do it because, if I don’t, then I’m sore outta luck.

Maybe it’s being dramatic, but god… It’s something that should be so simple, yet it’s like they have to make it needlessly more and more complicated for everyone. I feel like we’re a stone’s throw away from Disney announcing they’re closing every standby line for the rides and just creating queues for the shops for us to wait in instead until we’re blessed with our call time for a ride. I can’t help but wonder what Walt himself would think of someone like Chapek or how the simplicity of something so breezy as “a day at Disneyland” is being warped into something so convoluted…

/rant
The parks used to be just fun but basically since the end of DCA 2.0 the parks have become "too" main stream

I will always remember Disney was not cool, until like past 2012. Sure, some adults would like it but unless you had kids you got looked at funny for LOVING Disney as an adult until Marvel and Star Wars were bought. Then for some reason the parks started to fill up, Disney starting selling "home decor" merch, The MCU got big, adults got to "relive" being a kid with new Star Wars and the animated films had a come back. But the parks used to have down days, you would just walk in and until noon no line (besides Indy) got over 90 mins until the afternoon

Those days rarely happen now and will happen even less after this new app, this new app wants every ride to have a 30+ mins wait.

Last edited:
More like...I'm waiting to see if Crowds have returned to what they were a few weeks ago. Which looking at the app at least on weekdays..not yet

Sure this weekend will be much busier than it has been.

No Magic Key buying here, either. The actual tiers aren't the issue to me, but it's the reservation system and their full control over when you can go (even with a reservation, mind you) that I am not interested in. Hopefully one day we can see regular Annual Passes come back in some form without this weird restriction. I only plan on visiting the park once or twice more this year and then I'm done for a while anyway.

Ok I have to ask why do people care about reservations?

I highly doubt most days will be "sold out" its just to help them staff better but price wise its basically what it was before. I'm kinda Happy Disney would not allow me to upgrade my tickets because I would for sure get it and see how it all works

But i think the paid Fast Pass is 100000000 times worst than having to plan which day you are going (it cost nothing to change a date or to reserve a date and change it)

I highly doubt most days will be "sold out" its just to help them staff better but price wise its basically what it was before. I'm kinda Happy Disney would not allow me to upgrade my tickets because I would for sure get it and see how it all works

But i think the paid Fast Pass is 100000000 times worst than having to plan which day you are going (it cost nothing to change a date or to reserve a date and change it)

My issue with reservations is essentially tied to the Magic Key program. I understand the "need" for reservations for ticket holders at the current moment. They want to be able to only bring on the staff necessary internally (which is an entirely separate issue) and keep the guise of capacity limitations externally.

I'm not concerned that days will be sold out, although it could happen. It's more about the unbalanced reservation system for the price. It will always be a constant battle with other people who are in the same tier as you to get as many days as possible all of the time which just does not sound fun. I think that the upcoming fall and winter seasons will give us more insight into how this system will really break down, but like Freak said above I just don't see any value in it overall.

Because of spontaneity. Some days, I could wake up and decide, “Hey, let’s go to Disney today,” or finish work early for the day and be like, “Wanna go to Disney tonight for a few hours and ride a few things and get ice cream?” That’s something that could be done with APs: Being able to go if and when the mood strikes (so long as it’s not a blackout day, obviously).

Now? I personally don’t want to have to plan every single time I want to go to Disney days, weeks, or months in advance. Planning ahead because, say, a friend is visiting from out of state on a given day is one thing, but reservations kill the possibility and flexibility of just being able to up and go on a whim today because of having an unexpected day free or something.