WDW 50th Celebration | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

WDW 50th Celebration

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
On the subject of 50th merch, most of it doesn't appear that great, but there are some items in the so-called "Vault Collection" that have my interest, including a reprint of the opening day Magic Kingdom park map. At $8, and as a fan of maps, that's something I can justify.

On the subject of 50th merch, most of it doesn't appear that great, but there are some items in the so-called "Vault Collection" that have my interest, including a reprint of the opening day Magic Kingdom park map. At $8, and as a fan of maps, that's something I can justify.
The "Vault" merch can only be purchased in the Main Street Cinema, but it's the best of the merchandise by far for sure.

Reactions: belloq87
So with the rollout of Harmonious and Enchantment, not gonna' lie I'm a tad concerned. Nighttime shows are normally a forte for the company, but Harmonious misses the mark and Enchantment just misses completely. (Yes, I know one can point at RoL as well. But I think that amphitheater is cursed in some form.)

So that's making me wonder about Fantasmic! in DHS. The show most certainly needs an update of sorts, but with two nighttime whiffs in just a matter of days, it's got me worried bout' the future and that's not a feeling anyone wants for a big anniversary like this.

Magic is reporting Disney closed MK to 'park hoppers' today at 4:00 PM. since attendance is already in the low 40,000's at 4:00 PM, which is the
largest attendance since covid reopening. First 'public' showing of the Castle show tonight.

Last edited:
Nice to hear the special was done well.

I was kind of dreading 10% focused on an actual tribute to the resort's history, 90% focused on Iger/Chapek puffery.

The lack of international Tourists is showing just how much Disney rely on them for numbers, I should have been there for the 50th but of course the whole (waves hands around) stopped me from being there :(

The lack of international Tourists is showing just how much Disney rely on them for numbers, I should have been there for the 50th but of course the whole (waves hands around) stopped me from being there :(
It's not like the parks were empty - they were at Covid era capacity.

The real problem is that so far the celebration has consisted of some new paint and statues, a media event not open to the public, a D-ticket cloned from Paris using boarding groups, added EARidesence, two new night time shows that have nothing to do with the 50th, and primarily, the call of the magic merchandise.

I might be missing something, but I'm skeptical that these next 18 months will be that special for the average guest.

It's not like the parks were empty - they were at Covid era capacity.

The real problem is that so far the celebration has consisted of some new paint and statues, a media event not open to the public, a D-ticket cloned from Paris using boarding groups, added EARidesence, two new night time shows that have nothing to do with the 50th, and primarily, the call of the magic merchandise.

I might be missing something, but I'm skeptical that these next 18 months will be that special for the average guest.
This year would've been a great year to bring back a version of the "Year Of A Million Dreams" celebration. It would've really added a lot throughout the 50th for the average guest.

I imagine we shouldn't group EpCot's new lighting package (front area) in with the nighttime show. Added extras like the lights under the monorail. These are real nice touches and they look great, but I hope it does not mean they will start holding raves there or something.

Dance party under the giant round jumbotron!

Not sure what it has to do with the 50th, but to me, the fountain, the trim lights around that front part of the park. EpCot gained some decent visual aesthetics in a small area of the park.

He's the 50th Anniversary Theme Song for those who haven't heard it. It's fine if a little cheesy. They use it a lot in the parks actually. During the 50th Cavalcade, The Dapper Dans sing it, it plays after Harmonious (& I haven't seen Enchantment in person yet, but i'd assume it plays after that show as well).

Reactions: belloq87
Here’s all Beacons of Magic shows…

Cinderella Castle

SSE

ToT

Tree of Life

Thanks for the links, MK's fine as a lil lighting ceremony. Same can be said for AK, however that one might not work as well if there's no other projection shows shown. If it's literally just that, it's a bit of a whiff since there's no other nighttime entertainment.

As for the Tower of Terror, this one just doesn't make sense. There's a huge missed opportunity here. You make it look like it did in it's heyday, and then hit it with the infamous lightning strike to bring the Tower back to it's current state (with some eerie embellishments). Just having it look pretty doesn't make a whole lick of sense for a haunted tower.

Epcot's is the clear standout of the bunch, credit where credit is due, those new lights are fantastic! Love the effects it can pull off, and the music is great as well.

Reactions: belloq87 and Nick
As for the Tower of Terror, this one just doesn't make sense. There's a huge missed opportunity here. You make it look like it did in it's heyday, and then hit it with the infamous lightning strike to bring the Tower back to it's current state (with some eerie embellishments). Just having it look pretty doesn't make a whole lick of sense for a haunted tower.

Yes. They went in a far too garish and colorful direction with it. Too similar to the Christmas projections, which I also don't particularly like; feels way too out of place at the end of a 1930s Hollywood street (which has a nighttime atmosphere that is otherwise first-rate).