TRON Lightcycle Run | Page 50 | Inside Universal Forums

TRON Lightcycle Run

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Slowly... but surely?
I believe Disney has ruled out an opening for the WDWRR in 2022, which leads me to believe this is coming at the earliest in early 2023. They have said that Tron will be open before the 50th celebration ends in March 2023, so while they also said Tron would be open in 2021, it's very plausible to think this could be open anytime from Jan-March 2023.

D23 this year will be interesting since Tron is the last thing that they announced at D23 in 2017 that will have yet to open from that huge announcement in 2017 (At least of the projects that seem to be happening - MS Theater is dead, Poppins seems dead, who knows whats going on with Epcot event space. Play! probably has the best chance of happening.)

Point being, what's the next big thing? What's going on at DAK? That park could use an injection of new rides much in the way DHS got. Use the space near Kali to expand and do Australia. Dinoland needs to be fixed up and Primeval Whirl at the very least needs a replacement if not the entire Chester/Hester area being replaced.

I also feel like Epcot AND DHS could both use more help, but Epcot probably won't see any investment for awhile now. DHS may. There's underutilized land with animation courtyard, so if there's the opportunity to shove another IP in or something, I can see them jumping on it. The shows need to be changed out also. People are done with these 25-30 year old shows. I know they are popular and new to most, but many have seen them many times and a version of Frozen, Tangled, Encanto (the movie literally lends itself straight to the stage perfectly), etc would be popular to all and new to all.

The next thing to open would be PATF, I’d think?
This was my thought. That could be for 2024.

2025/2026 update their shows and parades in DHS and Epcot, then 2027 hopefully AK has a new attraction.

It is interesting their doesn’t appear to be a “response” to Epic Universe planned.

This was my thought. That could be for 2024.

2025/2026 update their shows and parades in DHS and Epcot, then 2027 hopefully AK has a new attraction.

It is interesting their doesn’t appear to be a “response” to Epic Universe planned.
DAK can’t go another 5 years without a new ride or major draw. I also don’t think they need to “respond” to EU. They obviously aren’t gonna open up a new park and anything short of that pales in comparison.

Keep doing what they’ve been doing and hopefully get a new attraction per year like they and Universal have been doing since 2016 (Both didnt do anything in 2015).

The only thing they could *possibly* do in my eyes that would draw literally any headlines (but nothing close to a new park) would be if they went all in and fast tracked that rumored Indians Jones land to take over Dinoland with IJA replacing Dinosaur and another main E-ticket, but truthfully, the shovels would already have to be in the ground for this to happen and if I remember, the rumor died out anyway.

Last edited:
I believe Disney has ruled out an opening for the WDWRR in 2022, which leads me to believe this is coming at the earliest in early 2023. They have said that Tron will be open before the 50th celebration ends in March 2023, so it is possible to see the ride and while they also said Tron would be open in 2021, it's very plausible to think this could be open anytime from Jan-March 2023.

D23 this year will be interesting since Tron is the last thing that they announced at D23 in 2017 that will have yet to open from that huge announcement in 2017 (At least of the projects that seem to be happening - MS Theater is dead, Poppins seems dead, who knows whats going on with Epcot event space. Play! probably has the best chance of happening.)

Point being, what's the next big thing? What's going on at DAK? That park could use an injection of new rides much in the way DHS got. Use the space near Kali to expand and do Australia. Dinoland needs to be fixed up and Primeval Whirl at the very least needs a replacement if not the entire Chester/Hester area being replaced.

I also feel like Epcot AND DHS could both use more help, but Epcot probably won't see any investment for awhile now. DHS may. There's underutilized land with animation courtyard, so if there's the opportunity to shove another IP in or something, I can see them jumping on it. The shows need to be changed out also. People are done with these 25-30 year old shows. I knows they are popular and new to most, but many have seen them many times and a version of Frozen, Tangled, Encanto (the movie literally lends itself straight to the stage perfectly), etc would be popular to all and new to all.

This is why I keep saying that despite record investment the parks still need more. WDW stagnated so much that even the basic stuff is super old and worn down.

This is why I keep saying that despite record investment the parks still need more. WDW stagnated so much that even the basic stuff is super old and worn down.
But they will likely look at the investment they made, pat themselves on the back, and tout the PatF thing that’s happening sometime when they feel like it and maybe announce one new thing and call it a day.

After all the investment they just made, I just don’t see them saying, “That was fun, now let’s do it again”.

But they will likely look at the investment they made, pat themselves on the back, and tout the PatF thing that’s happening sometime when they feel like it and maybe announce one new thing and call it a day.

After all the investment they just made, I just don’t see them saying, “That was fun, now let’s do it again”.

And then we’ll be in the fourth decade of the 90s Beauty and the Beast show.

Reactions: MrBlonde
Always sad to see how few attractions DAK & DHS still has. Contrast that with the smallish, not very pretty, DCA hodgepodge park, but superior to DHS or AK number of attractions wise. Sure, some of those DCA attractions are flat rides, but a flat ride is better than no ride at all. And Disneyland, though significantly smaller than MK, has soooo much more to see and do.

D23 this year will be interesting

I think it's going to be a lot of "Epcot's transformation is almost finished!" and "TRON is opening soon!" stuff. I fully expect it to be extraordinarily underwhelming.

Imagine a world where, instead of spending $2 billion on NextGen in 2008 - 2012, they spent... let's say $500 million (probably still high) on fundamentally necessary tech infrastructure (better wifi, rebuilding the parks website system, designing a mobile app), and $1.5 billion on actual attractions and refurbs.

WDW would be in such a better place.

An opening date announced for Tron at D23 makes sense since it'll come after GOTG has opened and won't prevent people from moving their vacations until Tron.

Other than Tron, I expect PATF, whatever they have planned for Dinoland, and new concept art/plans for the crater at Epcot. I bet a good chunk of the panel will focus on the DisneySea expansion as well to fill in time.

Nothing for DHS... unless they decide to remove the timeline and announce Mandalorian M&G.

Reactions: belloq87
I think it's going to be a lot of "Epcot's transformation is almost finished!" and "TRON is opening soon!" stuff. I fully expect it to be extraordinarily underwhelming.
If they don't want to talk about anything new, they actually have a lot to talk about. Epcot, Avengers, Mickey and Minnie, Princess and the Frog, Tron, and Target stores can all be their own 8 minute segments.

Since Bob said they are looking to cut capital expenditure in the parks going forward I see them just patting themselves on the back and waiting till after EU opens in 2025 before committing to new projects.

Always sad to see how few attractions DAK & DHS still has. Contrast that with the smallish, not very pretty, DCA hodgepodge park, but superior to DHS or AK number of attractions wise. Sure, some of those DCA attractions are flat rides, but a flat ride is better than no ride at all. And Disneyland, though significantly smaller than MK, has soooo much more to see and do.
My wife and I are talking about our next trip down there in the fall, and we're trying to figure out if it's even worth going to the Disney parks at all. My favorite rides are at DHS, but we've done it and it's a half day park if done right. MK is too much, and Epcot is a demo site until they finish work. We've never been to AK yet, but there's not much in ages to really draw us there. It's such a bummer.

Reactions: Mad Dog
My wife and I are talking about our next trip down there in the fall, and we're trying to figure out if it's even worth going to the Disney parks at all. My favorite rides are at DHS, but we've done it and it's a half day park if done right. MK is too much, and Epcot is a demo site until they finish work. We've never been to AK yet, but there's not much in ages to really draw us there. It's such a bummer.
Yeah, I agree. When we were first vacationing in Orlando, we did a bit more WDW than Universal. But now it's almost all Universal, with a sometimes one day drive from our Universal hotel to a WDW park. And the overly complicated, and smartphone reliant, Genie plus, is just about the final nail in the Disney coffin. Disney has lost it's way. And we're the type of guest that stays on site, eats on site, and parties on site, namely we spend lots and lots and lots of money. Two vacations a year totaling 20 to 28 days. But now Universal gets almost all of it.