Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion | Page 91 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Probably not EU but I imagine it has greased the wheels for improving the existing parks more.
Agreed. They've been committed to this park's current design since 2018-2019. I assume everything surrounding permits, building materials, and contractors is close to being locked in. Unless we're looking at an Men in Black Alien Attack turnaround time for a new addition.

However, the fact that the parks have high rather than stagnant growth bodes well for the future of the resort. It gives UC more freedom to build what they want and innovate. If growth continues, it could mean faster expansions past 2025, assuming that the next few years are when post-EU expansions get developed and greenlit.

It also appears that a bunch of building permits for the hub have been issued today, although there are still many that haven't been issued. It's not yet clear what the distinction is between the two sets or if the rest are just waiting to get updated online.
A notice of commencement has now been filed for the hub buildings that had their permits issued. The included buildings are:
P900: B1235, B1280
P901: B1205, B1220, B1230, B1240, B1245, B1250, B1260, B1270, B1295, B1300, B1500, B1600, B1800
P920: B1105, B1110, B1130

The expiration date on this one is March 31st, 2025.

EDIT: For context, this seems to include most of the larger buildings within the hub, including the 2 presumed attractions.

Last edited:
Really good to hear they're pushing to get this done and more. How many cranes will we see at once over there, and will it break the previous record of the crane skyline that we saw several years ago?

I'm sure Comcast sees this as a real opportunity to put a dent in Disney's dominance. Disney is obviously going in sleep mode, and acting in a negative way to guest amenities and AP holders, thus they are vulnerable. Attack, attack, attack should be Comcast/Universal motto. While the WDW fat cats are tucked away in their castle tower, comfortable in easy profits and a selfish deluded short term business strategy, the castle walls are crumbling from lack of maintenance..
On my recent trip this past November I saw a lot more Disney folk than I had ever seen at one time. There is a definite shift in the crowd base where even the most devote Disney fans are shifting away from an all-Disney experience. It's probably imperceptible on the spreadsheets for now but a trickle eventually turns into a stream.

One of the worst things happening here is that Disney is breaking its own spell over its guests. Universal gains ground simply by continuing to do what they do and not necessarily reacting to whatever Disney is doing, especially now.

And again, Mario is their Mickey. Endless possibilities with Nintendo and gaming is the future of entertainment for children, more so than it ever was a decade or 2 ago even.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Yeah, I would think the time to take shots at Disney is not when they've had to stop selling annual passes because they're *too popular*

If EU knocks Disney crowds backs down to a reasonable level I'm all for that, but I'm skeptical that it will dent things more than a percentage point or two max.

Off The Leash is a casualty of restrictive seating and lack of marketing.

It's a needed attraction for USH, but it didn't get the chance to shine for reasons that I hope don't get repeated for EU.
It's a casualty of California's reopening policies (I'm not going down that road ... just stating there are objective differences between places like FL and CA) and people not caring about Secret Life of Pets.

Last edited:
Is that the reason? All Stars opening gets pushed back more and more.
But does that speak to leisure demand or the fact that cheerleaders/Pop Warner/dance/etc. demand in the Value segment that fills those rooms is way down to pre-Covid? Before the pandemic, there were a lot of people staying on property who weren't choosing themselves to stay on property. Those people more or less don't exist right now.

Not going to go too far down this road, but I'd call it a safe bet that they're also crushing their pre-Covid rate records.

Reactions: OrlandoGuy
But does that speak to leisure demand or the fact that cheerleaders/Pop Warner/dance/etc. demand in the Value segment that fills those rooms is way down to pre-Covid? Before the pandemic, there were a lot of people staying on property who weren't choosing themselves to stay on property. Those people more or less don't exist right now.

Not going to go too far down this road, but I'd call it a safe bet that they're also crushing their pre-Covid rate records.

Or does it say more about Disney's staffing issues?

Yeah, I would think the time to take shots at Disney is not when they've had to stop selling annual passes because they're *too popular*

If EU knocks Disney crowds backs down to a reasonable level I'm all for that, but I'm skeptical that it will dent things more than a percentage point or two max.

It's a casualty of California's reopening policies (I'm not going down that road ... just stating there are objective differences between places like FL and CA) and people not caring about Secret Life of Pets.
Thank you for being realistic because everyone is going off about how this park is gonna crush Disney’s demand or cause some seismic shift in visitor patterns.

It definitely has rolled some eyes at corporate that’s for sure. Comcast saw the opportunity and took it while Dis is playing in the sand.

This park opening is overall of course very good news for the Orlando market and brings much needed parity between the two giants. Disney must up their game if they want to still continue to be ahead.

Dude, this topic comes up like once a year. Nothing ever really changes but everyone loves a good changing of the guard story, even if it’s just hypothetical. Just gotta roll with it.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
Thank you for being realistic because everyone is going off about how this park is gonna crush Disney’s demand or cause some seismic shift in visitor patterns.

It definitely has rolled some eyes at corporate that’s for sure. Comcast saw the opportunity and took it while Dis is playing in the sand.

This park opening is overall of course very good news for the Orlando market and brings much needed parity between the two giants. Disney must up their game if they want to still continue to be ahead.

Let's be honest about what "a seismic shift" in Disneys eyes, as little ase ~7.5-10% of WDW visitors would cause major problems for investors and Chapek. But before you "but Tommy Disney wouldn't lose that many visitors to Universal" I'll remind you that Between 1990 & 1994 Disney World haemorrhaged visitors, they lost 5 million visitors (around 15% of their visitor numbers at the time) in the space of five years because people didn't feel they were getting value for money. Eisner had spent ten years scalping people with ticket price increases and people voted with their feet. Incidentally 5 million visitors is around 8.4% of 2019 visitor numbers. We all of course know what 1998's response to this problem was, but lets be realistic about how quick Disney can respond to the threat of EU/USF expansion in the coming years