Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser | Page 70 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm wary of reading too much into current availability levels given Disney's obvious marketing missteps and a natural hesitancy to commit $6k to a new, unknown experience before reviews are available.

While this experience is unaffordable for most people, the share of people who can easily afford it or are hardcore Star Wars or theater fans that can save up for it is not that small relative to the actual capacity.

It has become quite clear that many people had misplaced expectations about this, and were seemingly expecting this to be something like a Star Wars themed version of a deluxe resort. But this isn't that. It's not that in accommodations, it's not that in experience, and it's not that in price. The videos and reviews from the last 2 weeks have made that obvious.

We are only now getting to the point were people can clearly and fairly judge this experience as what it is, and make their vacation planning decisions accordingly.

I'm wary of reading too much into current availability levels given Disney's obvious marketing missteps and a natural hesitancy to commit $6k to a new, unknown experience before reviews are available.

While this experience is unaffordable for most people, the share of people who can easily afford it or are hardcore Star Wars or theater fans that can save up for it is not that small relative to the actual capacity.

It has become quite clear that many people had misplaced expectations about this, and were seemingly expecting this to be something like a Star Wars themed version of a deluxe resort. But this isn't that. It's not that in accommodations, it's not that in experience, and it's not that in price. The videos and reviews from the last 2 weeks have made that obvious.

We are only now getting to the point were people can clearly and fairly judge this experience as what it is, and make their vacation planning decisions accordingly.
I think most people knew it was a LARPing experience above all else for awhile now. I just think without being there, it's easy to look at the rooms and look at the price tag and say "It's $6k for THAT room?"

No, it's $6k for the experience that the actors bring, the theming on the Halcyon, and the days worth of events that basically keeps you out of your room anyway. But again, that's something that's hard for most people to comprehend without actually being there and experiencing it.

IGN’s review is… unexpected.
So, depending on how much you value the hotel experience, you can see it as A) an impressive addition to the theme park, or B) a miscommunicated attempt to blend both of Disney’s services. I went with B.

They aren't wrong, they needed to communicate what this was better and literally every time they tried to explain this in the months leading up to it opening, they ended up with egg on their face.

If there's one thing shown out from SWGE in DLR and WDW opening plus this - there is no pent-up SW fandom looking to come down for this.

If there's one thing shown out from SWGE in DLR and WDW opening plus this - there is no pent-up SW fandom looking to come down for this.
I think part of that is because it's based on the new trilogy, but a lot of that is because Star Wars has been in the parks since 1987 in DL and 1989 at DHS. Also, DHS used to have Star Wars Weekends, which I think fans liked much more because it had a bit of a fun Star Wars Celebration feel to it.

I think most people knew it was a LARPing experience above all else for awhile now. I just think without being there, it's easy to look at the rooms and look at the price tag and say "It's $6k for THAT room?"

No, it's $6k for the experience that the actors bring, the theming on the Halcyon, and the days worth of events that basically keeps you out of your room anyway. But again, that's something that's hard for most people to comprehend without actually being there and experiencing it.
Perhaps most people here knew it was about LARPing, but the majority of people are not on theme park forums and even then the posts here (and other forums) about rooms being too small, it not having a pool, and the days being too long/busy indicate that plenty of people hadn't appreciated just how fully this experience is about LARPing.

But as you say, it's Disney's fault for completely botching the advance marketing:
They aren't wrong, they needed to communicate what this was better and literally every time they tried to explain this in the months leading up to it opening, they ended up with egg on their face.

this is literally every one of my critiques/concerns in one review. Not everyone will want to play along, and for those people the experience may be claustrophobic and lacking actual relaxation and basic comfort on their 6k vacation weekend.

this is literally every one of my critiques/concerns in one review. Not everyone will want to play along, and for those people the experience may be claustrophobic and lacking actual relaxation and basic comfort on their 6k vacation weekend.
To be blunt, if people don't want to play along then they shouldn't be going here. Nothing about this experience is really supposed to be relaxing.

If you want to blow $6k on a relaxing WDW weekend then go stay at a Copper Creek cabin instead.

Reactions: alomar
To be blunt, if people don't want to play along then they shouldn't be going here. Nothing about this experience is really supposed to be relaxing.

If you want to blow $6k on a relaxing WDW weekend then go stay at a Copper Creek cabin instead.
Right. It would be like going to an escape room and not participating in the game. This thing is sort of like a 2 day Escape Room with a side of LARPing.

Right. It would be like going to an escape room and not participating in the game. This thing is sort of like a 2 day Escape Room with a side of LARPing.

Devil's advocate, no escape room has ever advertised or billed itself as a by-the--hour motel.

I would hope the steep price tag would put most potential guests on notice, but prices so out of whack at WDW who knows.

Devil's advocate, no escape room has ever advertised or billed itself as a by-the--hour motel.

I would hope the steep price tag would put most potential guests on notice, but prices so out of whack at WDW who knows.

I can actually see someone going there thinking that it will be a posh "cruise" with Disney pampering all the way (thus the cost). They would then be in for the shock of their life. Probably unlikely but I can see it happening.

Reactions: Nick and SeventyOne
I feel like between all of the bloggers I've seen almost everything. Every cool moment has been spoiled and circulated. There are no impressive moments that I haven't seen. And, I bet after the first few cruises, most people will feel that way. This is just an expensive social media backdrop at this point. A place to go to make videos for social media and flaunt privilege.

I feel like between all of the bloggers I've seen almost everything. Every cool moment has been spoiled and circulated. There are no impressive moments that I haven't seen. And, I bet after the first few cruises, most people will feel that way. This is just an expensive social media backdrop at this point. A place to go to make videos for social media and flaunt privilege.

I think the only real unknown is the improv nature of the cast members, and their interaction with the guests. Even if you seen the story threads, I feel like its personal enough to feel unique to your presence.

I'll wonder, in the long term, would this have been better done as a limited-time experience like Star Wars weekends versus something so permanent.

Reactions: Legacy and Clive
I can actually see someone going there thinking that it will be a posh "cruise" with Disney pampering all the way (thus the cost). They would then be in for the shock of their life. Probably unlikely but I can see it happening.
I think this absolutely will happen and actually would be a bit surprised if it hasn’t already.

Reactions: Magic Feather