Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - General Discussion | Page 135 | Inside Universal Forums

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I just know Tron is going to get lauded over as well...I'm not ready for the onsluaght

This always bugs me. I feel that because people spend more for Disney, they then value it more and it becomes sacrosanct when the reality it's not necessarily better than the competition, and that's especially complicated when branding involved.

I've been to Shanghai Disneyland and ridden Tron a dozen times. It's just a ride. It has good theming, of course, but it's basically lights and glossy acrylic (that will be absolutely destroyed in the space of a year lol) and a few CGI projections, and absolutely nothing that is new, groundbreaking, or anything that a non-Disney park couldn't do. Did I enjoy it? Sure. Will other people? Yes. Does it deserve to be labeled as a great? Not in the slightest. Will it be hailed as great? Probably.

This always bugs me. I feel that because people spend more for Disney, they then value it more and it becomes sacrosanct when the reality it's not necessarily better than the competition, and that's especially complicated when branding involved.

I've been to Shanghai Disneyland and ridden Tron a dozen times. It's just a ride. It has good theming, of course, but it's basically lights and glossy acrylic (that will be absolutely destroyed in the space of a year lol) and a few CGI projections, and absolutely nothing that is new, groundbreaking, or anything that a non-Disney park couldn't do. Did I enjoy it? Sure. Will other people? Yes. Does it deserve to be labeled as a great? Not in the slightest. Will it be hailed as great? Probably.

This mindset is really the source of so much disagreement on this website. Things can be fun and well-reviewed without being the greatest thing ever. Gatekeeping positive experiences because they aren’t groundbreaking doesn’t lend itself to a good discussion atmosphere.

It happens with both parks, too. When Fast & Furious opened any positive review was met with instant scrutiny. Now the same thing is happening with Guardians because of some arbitrary financial issues. Bottom line is if a ride is fun, that’s literally ALL that matters.

The problem isn’t positivity, it’s people’s reactions to opinions that don’t match their own, which turns into a weird turf war between two semi-competing media conglomerates.

EDIT: Not to single you out @queenmetroid … more just using your post as a jumping off point for an overall observation.

All of this is true, but it’s really not a theme park specific problem. It’s almost the point of brand loyalty. You could swap out “Disney” and “Universal” and replace them with “Apple” and “Samsung” and see the same effects. Companies work very hard to establish brand loyalty. It’s why I was sent a razor through the mail at age 10.

This mindset is really the source of so much disagreement on this website. Things can be fun and well-reviewed without being the greatest thing ever. Gatekeeping positive experiences because they aren’t groundbreaking doesn’t lend itself to a good discussion atmosphere.

It happens with both parks, too. When Fast & Furious opened any positive review was met with instant scrutiny. Now the same thing is happening with Guardians because of some arbitrary financial issues. Bottom line is if a ride is fun, that’s literally ALL that matters.

The problem isn’t positivity, it’s people’s reactions to opinions that don’t match their own, which turns into a weird turf war between two semi-competing media conglomerates.

EDIT: Not to single you out @queenmetroid … more just using your post as a jumping off point for an overall observation.
Lol the 'gatekeeping' thing is super hilarious to me. It normally comes from people that don't know how to argue a point and/or get emotional when they're challenged.

If you say Tron is better than Velocicoaster you better damn well have some reasoning and be willing to defend that stance with logic

And no, "Fun" is not all that matters, "Fun" is superficial.

Disagreement is natural and fine. If you'd like to live in an Orwellian dystopian novel where everyone agrees with one another then I have several places for you to live.

There are many things to praise about Guardians, and there are many reasons why Tron gets a "meh" from me.

It’s why I was sent a razor through the mail at age 10.
I love this energy

Lol the 'gatekeeping' thing is super hilarious to me. It normally comes from people that don't know how to argue a point and/or get emotional when they're challenged.

If you say Tron is better than Velocicoaster you better damn well have some reasoning and be willing to defend that stance with logic

Disagreement is natural and fine. If you'd like to live in an Orwellian dystopian novel where everyone agrees with one another then I have several places for you to live.

There are many things to praise about Guardians, and there are many reasons why Tron gets a "meh" from me.
Nah, this ain’t it.

There’s a difference between differing opinions and criticism of differing opinions. Would I like to hear someone’s take on why they think Guardians is better than Velocicoaster? Absolutely lol. But I’m not gonna take that away from someone.

The original point was Tron will get praised because it’s at Disney even though it doesn’t do anything innovative. Those things all may be true but if it’s a fun ride, it’s a fun ride. If I get off and say “10/10 fun coaster” I’m not gonna police myself from putting that out there because of the park it’s in or the amount it cost.

As far as…

This is why most people go to the parks. This was the defense of Volcano Bay, Fallon, etc when they opened to less-than-stellar reviews from the “snobs.” It’s literally the crux of every decision a them park should make.

I know people who LOVE VC who think CR is better. I don’t try to argue with them too much because I just vehemently disagree. Cosmic Rewind is basically DL’s Space Mountain mixed with RNRC on a motion base. That’s it.

It’s definitely a fun ride, but better than VC? I can understand liking this more than VC if you aren’t someone who doesn’t like extreme coasters, but as I said, this person loves VC. They said they liked CR more because “VC is an unthemed ride that seems like it could have been built anywhere, Cosmic Rewind is really fun and it’s something most parks in the world couldn’t do, so it’s really unique.“ Something to that effect. The person also liked that it’s a rather long coaster As well, which voided any advantage VC had in that area.

I’m not going to tell people that their opinion is wrong. If that’s something they like better than that’s what they like. But I think you really need to work some mental gymnastics to convince yourself the CR is a better ride than CR if you’re already a big fan of VC and you don’t think it’s too intense for you. My mom loves CR way more than VC, but that makes sense because the last time she came off of VC she said that it’s too intense and she never wants to go on it again lol.

VelociCoaster and CR are apples to oranges to me. As a coaster enthusiast, of course I'm going to say VelocioCoaster is better, that's not even close! But I can see where people are coming from if they say they enjoy CR over VC.

First off, my opinion is just that: My silly opinion. Same with the other person. Another big thing that people are missing here is that someone's "mileage" will vary when it comes to coasters. Maybe the person prefers something a little more mild. Maybe they just enjoyed certain aspects that CR had that VC didn't. Maybe they just prefer themed coasters.

My point is, not everyone sees everything the same. Remember that episode of Spongebob where Squidward stayed in Squidville and everyone acted like him and liked the same stuff as Squidward? Well, we don't live in Squidville nor do I want to. People like different rides for different reasons.

However, if you think the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is better than VelociCoaster, you need to rethink your priorities in life. :lol:

Reactions: Nick and shiekra38
Nah, this ain’t it.

There’s a difference between differing opinions and criticism of differing opinions. Would I like to hear someone’s take on why they think Guardians is better than Velocicoaster? Absolutely lol. But I’m not gonna take that away from someone.

The original point was Tron will get praised because it’s at Disney even though it doesn’t do anything innovative. Those things all may be true but if it’s a fun ride, it’s a fun ride. If I get off and say “10/10 fun coaster” I’m not gonna police myself from putting that out there because of the park it’s in or the amount it cost.

As far as…
Right Disney things get praised automatically, RMC's get praised automatically, if you have an opinion and someone challenges it, be ready to back it up.

The belief system that all opinions matter at all times is silly, some opinions are helpful, and some opinions are half formed, and some opinions are downright ridiculous

You should police yourself before sharing opinions, that's called maturity.

Also, Guardians cost way more than it should have, Tron is taking way longer than it should have, and both aren't really all that special.

If you had fun on it, fine, that doesn't mean you are correct in your thinking.

This is why most people go to the parks. This was the defense of Volcano Bay, Fallon, etc when they opened to less-than-stellar reviews from the “snobs.” It’s literally the crux of every decision a them park should make.
Joe Rhode had a great take on this.

When asked by CEO's "why can't it just be fun"...his response was always "well, I can have fun in my pool at home, why would I buy a very expensive theme park ticket for it?"

Theme Parks are supposed to be more than "fun", and no, Disney isn't the theme park empire it is today strictly because people only have "fun" there.

Volcano Bay is a well thought out and planned water park, and Fallon (although not everyone's favorite) does include a pretty faithful recreation of the Studio its based on and encapsulates its subject matter well. Most of the negative stuff was ridiculous Disney shill clickbate, but some of the points raised were quite valid.

Everything is open to scrutiny, especially when discussing the greats like Disney and Universal...When they do well, we cheer, when they fall short we boo.

I don't even know what's going on in this conversation at the moment!

Whatever anyone thinks of the individual merits (or not) of Cosmic Rewind (and TRON, if we want to lump that in) and VelociCoaster, they are fundamentally not comparable. The intentions behind the attractions were different, and the execution of those intentions was different.

If any recent Universal offering must be put up for closer comparison with Cosmic Rewind, Hagrid's is the one, but even that's not a great comp (looking at it from either direction).

I don't even know what's going on in this conversation at the moment!

Whatever anyone thinks of the individual merits (or not) of Cosmic Rewind (and TRON, if we want to lump that in) and VelociCoaster, they are fundamentally not comparable. The intentions behind the attractions were different, and the execution of those intentions was different.

If any recent Universal offering must be put up for closer comparison with Cosmic Rewind, Hagrid's is the one, but even that's not a great comp (looking at it from either direction).
Well, in that I certainly agree For sure. But the fact of the matter here is people on the ground in Orlando are comparing the rides. It’s stupid, but this is the type of stuff locals and are talking about, I think just because they are the two big new coasters in Orlando.

Te best Universal coaster comp to GotG is actually Space Fantasy at USJ, but most people haven’t been on that ride.

I think this whole thought process boils down to how you feel about having your opinions questioned. If people judge your opinions, you feel the need to defend and then question someone else’s. I’m not really sure what you get out of this discourse.

This isn’t a science. This isn’t fact based. This is preference, personal experience, physical reaction (nausea/body type), etc. etc.

I know we as a society have started to lean towards bubbles where our thoughts and feelings are validated by like minded individuals and people worry about that. But if you know you won’t change your opinion, and by virtue, either will the other person, why engage in “debate” on a a completely personal issue. Why cause yourself the headache?

If a person has fun on a ride, why would I want to take that away from them? Could I wish the company delivered that fun quicker? Sure. Do I have my own preference on what would make the ride more fun for ME? Yes. But who am I to force those opinions on someone else? I’m nobody. :lol:

Reactions: OrlandoGuy
Well, in that I certainly agree For sure. But the fact of the matter here is people on the ground in Orlando are comparing the rides. It’s stupid, but this is the type of stuff locals and are talking about, I think just because they are the two big new coasters in Orlando.

Te best Universal coaster comp to GotG is actually Space Fantasy at USJ, but most people haven’t been on that ride.

And by no means am I attempting to quell the debate happening in here brought about by both companies opening major coaster attractions over the last year. I just think both need to be examined within their individual contexts, primarily.

Cosmic Rewind does absolutely seem to share some DNA with Space Fantasy (based on the low-res videos I've watched of it!).

This isn’t a science. This isn’t fact based. This is preference, personal experience, physical reaction (nausea/body type), etc. etc.

True. Beyond subjectivity of experience and preference, there are also semantic differences when we're talking about "fun" and "better."

(I thought comparing the ride to Mummy and Gringotts was very apt, myself)

I was considering more recent attractions, but yes, Revenge of the Mummy and Cosmic Rewind are both operating much more on the same level of intent.

Gringotts... well, perhaps. I don't think it's much of a coaster at all, but mileage varies.

Everything is open to scrutiny, especially when discussing the greats like Disney and Universal...When they do well, we cheer, when they fall short we boo.

That’s all well and good but not every ride needs to be cutting edge tech to be a quality addition. Sometimes some fancy lights and going fast is a nice addition that can be enjoyed for what it is (especially when you have plenty of more elaborate stuff a stone’s throw away). And not everyone that feels that way is necessarily doing it to justify value or put a brand on a pedestal.

That’s literally all I was trying to say before you went off :lol:

Trying to follow along and this one’s got me stumped so I’m asking—because I had fun on it, does that mean I was incorrect for enjoying this ride?
Of course not, but the point of debate and discussion is to go beyond "I liked it, and if you question my feelings then you're a gatekeeper" I really have no patience for that kind of attitude.

That’s all well and good but not every ride needs to be cutting edge tech to be a quality addition. Sometimes some fancy lights and going fast is a nice addition that can be enjoyed for what it is (especially when you have plenty of more elaborate stuff a stone’s throw away). And not everyone that feels that way is necessarily doing it to justify value or put a brand on a pedestal.
Right, but we don't have to say that it's gatekeeping to disagree with someone's opinions on the matter.

I do think it's funny that you think I'm going off, I'm literally at work goofing around and eating cookies while typing this lol

(I thought comparing the ride to Mummy and Gringotts was very apt, myself)
Mummy is certainly best comp at UOR and maybe some of the best in general, but overall, I think the ride is most similar to Space Fantasy.

I don’t agree with the Gringotts comp because it’s so stop/start whereas CR is a pure coaster. Now if you wanted to say CR is more of a Mummy/Gringotts hybrid then I agree to that.

To circle back, I think this point sums up some of the same issues I have with Guardians.

This reminds me of the debate with Mario Kart (impressive/amazing/mind blowing/pick your synonym vs. just "fun").

From the POVs for both, Space Fantasy seems like a very good comparison.

Last edited:

So here's what's hilarious to me. I'd written a part two of this post that addresses much of this and I *left it off* because I felt like it was too much for a single post. Incidentally, your edit is relevant. I'm open to having my view criticized because I think all opinions (not facts) can and must be criticized, regardless of stance or origin, and I'm always open to debate because I could be wrong.

So what I meant last night was that I never want to gatekeep people's fun. Fun is neither measurable nor objective. However, quality is something that can be measured and I do think that's important for various reasons. I feel that I can criticize people's unrealistic opinions and lack of metacognition when it comes to assessing something fairly in terms of quality. For instance, if someone hasn't been on a lot of roller coasters, they may consider Tron the greatest roller coaster ever. Thus, their lack of breadth or experience might lead them to make an unfair judgement on the quality of the ride. A child may have just as much fun at the waterhole down the street as Volcano Bay, but that doesn't mean that the quality is the same. Why does this matter, though?

For me, it's because competition and debate are good. Even though the brand and location seems to elevate people's opinion of the quality of the ride itself, and regardless of how fun the ride is, it's absolutely fair to criticize the label of "great" or "best" simply because of the physical location of the attraction. I think when people buy into brand over quality, it can snuff out smaller experiences that never have a chance to shine because of louder marketing or word of mouth. To shiekra's point, you may have an opinion, but that opinion should be open to criticism. I haven't been on Cosmic Rewind but it seems the same criticisms can be fairly applied here. But honestly, like that age old question of "what is art", if you're having fun, does it even matter?

Spoiler: Probably not.

I could really write volumes on this as there's so much more nuance but it's just a forum post. Haha.