Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Shooting scare at Universal Orlando

I'm sure the online theme park community will handle this discussion in a calm, rational manner.
Why I am glad I only post here on IU.

I get the impression security and OPD handled it pretty fast. Not sure why it was believed to have been a shooting.
Since I have started working there I thankfully have not had incidents with groups of teens, and in general Universal is superb with their security. I also read somewhere that stuff like this might originate through tik tok challenges.

On a side note, when Universal first decided on metal detectors I thought, is that really necessary, now I am glad they have them.

It wasn't a shooting.

Correct, it is weird how this happened in the parking garage and people still exiting at CityWalk thought it was a shooting. Incidentally, there was an incident at Florida Mall yesterday too, which involved fireworks; and on July the 4th in Downtown Orlando there was a similar scare involving fireworks that had been thrown behind some people.

Here’s the only footage I’ve been able to find of the actual fight itself

That is what was shown in the news too, what I wonder is how did this translate in people fleeing CityWalk thinking there was a shooter? When I first heard of the incident, shortly after I came back from my closing shift at Ripsaw, I read that it might have began at the movie theater.

The official FB annual passholder page also suspended new posts shortly after this happened, so they definitely immediately understood the gravity of it all.

Last edited:
Easy. They were not letting people into the garage for a security incident then rumors started.
Oh yeah, that's what I thought too. Guess that is why posting on the AP group was disabled pretty fast. I first heard of it on a UOTeam group. I am glad Universal dealt with it swiftly.

Unfortunately happened to be there after going on a night ride at Velocicoaster.

Started at the Kong/Jurassic/Jaws garage right where the moving walkways connect to the main hub where security is located - so pre-security screening. They had a significant police and security presence with lots of management. I assumed it was over when those involved began fighting again which resulted in them shutting down the garage and pushing us back towards the hub. It seems that some of the individuals involved ran towards CityWalk which prompted police/security to then run back towards CityWalk and resulted in the panic. Garages reopened after 20 minutes.

The other garage had its fire alarm pulled as well at the same time... not the best day for Universal.

There's not much Universal can do in this sort of scenario, but I hope this event and the events that have transpired at other parks result in Universal implementing a chaperone policy for HHN at the very least.

More Camera's and Security

I dont have a kid but don't want my Future kids to be unable to go to theme parks like my friends and I did a MILLION times without any incident. I know it sucks these theme parks will have to spend money but thats how it is and when parking is 30 bucks that's where the money is suppose to be going anyway.

More Camera's and Security

I dont have a kid but don't want my Future kids to be unable to go to theme parks like my friends and I did a MILLION times without any incident. I know it sucks these theme parks will have to spend money but thats how it is and when parking is 30 bucks that's where the money is suppose to be going anyway.

There have always been fights in parks, curfews and chaperone policies are usually temporary for a few months.

There have always been fights in parks, curfews and chaperone policies are usually temporary for a few months.
Sure but even in the short term, I just think its scapegoating the issue

We pay theme parks extra fees for everything, the money should be used to have more people patrolling area's and not just lining someone's pocket. Like i said its 30 + bucks for parking now with all the guests they get that more then enough to pay for people on every other level or driving up and down every level all night no problem at all

I used to have a bar/restaurant. The adage in the business was to not discount your prices if you wanted a good clientele. The places that discounted their prices attracted the 'lets cause trouble and fight type of people'. I'm guessing, just like Kennywood experienced for a couple of years, quit selling steeply discounted tickets, since they attract problem people. Universal may want to look at their Florida resident special heavy discount priced tickets, and keep the prices high enough so they don't get the rif raf. Even if you have tons of security, the gangs will still find a way to fight and cause trouble.

I used to have a bar/restaurant. The adage in the business was to not discount your prices if you wanted a good clientele. The places that discounted their prices attracted the 'lets cause trouble and fight type of people'. I'm guessing, just like Kennywood experienced for a couple of years, quit selling steeply discounted tickets, since they attract problem people. Universal may want to look at their Florida resident special heavy discount priced tickets, and keep the prices high enough so they don't get the rif raf. Even if you have tons of security, the gangs will still find a way to fight and cause trouble.
Could be the after 6 parking too

Sure but even in the short term, I just think its scapegoating the issue

We pay theme parks extra fees for everything, the money should be used to have more people patrolling area's and not just lining someone's pocket. Like i said its 30 + bucks for parking now with all the guests they get that more then enough to pay for people on every other level or driving up and down every level all night no problem at all

If @anihilnation said was true then this was after free parking and to see a movie, so the groups probably didn't even step in the parks. You get two or more antagonist groups around each other then fights happen. If Universal wants to solve the issue they need to go beyond hiring more security and installing more cameras. I was responding to your complaints about theme parks adopting curfews chaperone policies and how it would cut off future theme park fans.

Two things happen with companies that have security-related issues - they either get them under control or they go out of business. Universal will likely implement more security.

If @anihilnation said was true then this was after free parking and to see a movie, so the groups probably didn't even step in the parks. You get two or more antagonist groups around each other then fights happen. If Universal wants to solve the issue they need to go beyond hiring more security and installing more cameras. I was responding to your complaints about theme parks adopting curfews chaperone policies and how it would cut off future theme park fans.

Two things happen with companies that have security-related issues - they either get them under control or they go out of business. Universal will likely implement more security.
Even if they parked for free has nothing to do with the thousand of guests paying 30+ bucks for parking. They can easily have the staff to be on each floor and not break the bank, my point is even them just being around can help mainly if they saw the fight start break it up before it anyone gets hurt

I'm sure the online theme park community will handle this discussion in a calm, rational manner.
There isn't much to say other than this, the Magic Kingdom brawl, and the incidents at Knotts are unacceptable and lifetime ban territory

I'm thankful that Orlando PD showed up in a timely manner and handled the situation well

We'll see if Knotts' chaperone rule catches on around the industry

Interesting thread here though:

Last edited:
Just one data point...I'm going to be in Orlando a week from Friday pre cruise. I was going to use my annual pass to pop over to the parks as I'm never there at night, but honestly now having second thoughts. I'm too old to be dealing with stuff like this.