Future of Jurassic Park River Adventure | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Jurassic Park River Adventure

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Do you want River Adventure to get the Hollywood treatment or stay JP?

• Keep it JP

Votes: 107 37.2%
  • Bring on the iRex

Votes: 181 62.8%

• Total voters
But the Jurassic World franchise is done. The Jurassic IP will continue in some form - no property sits dormant long in modern Hollywood - but we don’t know what that looks like yet. No reason to spend money retheming to a defunct and not particularly beloved franchise - just wait for the next version.
Tron says hello.

JW is in no way done, the director and the producer of the films have already stated there is much more to come. Marketing just wanted to put buts in seats so they came up with the "End of the Jurassic Era" tagline. Its universals highest grossing film franchise by average gross per film. with each of the latest three making over a billion each.

Jurassic is here to stay for the time being. But as far as the discovery center goes, you could totally slap JW on it and re-theme the old games, upgrade the hatchery with newer animatronics, update the dino playground or pull it for something new. You really just need to keep the skeletons because those are exact copies of the one in the visitors center.

JW is in no way done, the director and the producer of the films have already stated there is much more to come. Marketing just wanted to put buts in seats so they came up with the "End of the Jurassic Era" tagline. Its universals highest grossing film franchise by average gross per film. with each of the latest three making over a billion each.

Jurassic is here to stay for the time being. But as far as the discovery center goes, you could totally slap JW on it and re-theme the old games, upgrade the hatchery with newer animatronics, update the dino playground or pull it for something new. You really just need to keep the skeletons because those are exact copies of the one in the visitors center.
Agreed, and the average fan doesn’t care about canon. They just want to see some dinosaurs. Besides, universal could always just say the ‘alternate universe’ thing that Disney says for their marvel attractions to appease the people who do complain about the timeline. This also lets them save a major landmark that they’d undoubtedly get pushback for changing too drastically

Agreed, and the average fan doesn’t care about canon. They just want to see some dinosaurs. Besides, universal could always just say the ‘alternate universe’ thing that Disney says for their marvel attractions to appease the people who do complain about the timeline. This also lets them save a major landmark that they’d undoubtedly get pushback for changing too drastically
I said that “Jurassic” isn’t dead - it’s a valuable franchise - but the “World” iteration, starring Pratt and Harris and overseen by Trevorrow, is. It was always meant as a trilogy, they’ve painted themselves into a narrative box and moved too far from the core concept, and while the last one made a lot of money it was critically reviled and audiences didn’t much care for it, indicating a fourth might see diminishing returns. What comes next? A reboot of “park” (this is my guess)? “Jurassic Universe”? Who knows. Even Uni may not. But whatever it is, it will feature a new creative team and narrative direction. And there’s no point in spending millions to replace a land based on a beloved classic with a version that’s already over and has very doubtful longevity. Wait for the next trilogy and then consider retheming.

I said that “Jurassic” isn’t dead - it’s a valuable franchise - but the “World” iteration, starring Pratt and Harris and overseen by Trevorrow, is. It was always meant as a trilogy, they’ve painted themselves into a narrative box and moved too far from the core concept, and while the last one made a lot of money it was critically reviled and audiences didn’t much care for it, indicating a fourth might see diminishing returns. What comes next? A reboot of “park” (this is my guess)? “Jurassic Universe”? Who knows. Even Uni may not. But whatever it is, it will feature a new creative team and narrative direction. And there’s no point in spending millions to replace a land based on a beloved classic with a version that’s already over and has very doubtful longevity. Wait for the next trilogy and then consider retheming.
*Prequel trilogy engaged*

IMO JPRA could very much tow the line of new and old much like the land does

I didn't think it would, but the land does jive together with all the World/Park/Isla Aventura schtuff

I believe JPRA can as well

Reactions: Darko and SpyderDan
*Prequel trilogy engaged*

IMO JPRA could very much tow the line of new and old much like the land does

I didn't think it would, but the land does jive together with all the World/Park/Isla Aventura schtuff

I believe JPRA can as well
Being Isla Aventura, a sister park to the former Jurassic Park Isla Nuba and the later Jurassic World Isla Nuba, there is no reason they can't double dip into the Jurassic well.

It was always meant as a trilogy
Except, they're final three films of a six-part series that Spielberg and the creator of Jurassic Park signed.
they’ve painted themselves into a narrative box and moved too far from the core concept
What box, and what is the "core concept"?
indicating a fourth might see diminishing returns. What comes next? A reboot of “park” (this is my guess)? “Jurassic Universe”? Who knows. Even Uni may not.
Regardless of how Dominion turned out, it was marketed as the conclusion, so any plans for any future films would make more sense as spinoffs or prequels.

Whatever happens in the next set of Jurassic films, it's surely moved on from the "theme park gone wrong" narrative - which is what Universal would use.

Any new Jurassic thing is gonna be World going forward.

Whatever happens in the next set of Jurassic films, it's surely moved on from the "theme park gone wrong" narrative - which is what Universal would use.

Any new Jurassic thing is gonna be World going forward.
I would be very surprised if they don’t go back to “theme park gone wrong.” Even with Dominion, after teasing dinos overrunning the world, they contorted themselves to get back to “dinos in a theme park.”

It’s gonna be prequels, as one poster suggested, or reboots. The Jurassic Park brand is beloved. Jurassic World… isn’t.

I would be very surprised if they don’t go back to “theme park gone wrong.” Even with Dominion, after teasing dinos overrunning the world, they contorted themselves to get back to “dinos in a theme park.”

It’s gonna be prequels, as one poster suggested, or reboots. The Jurassic Park brand is beloved. Jurassic World… isn’t.

Let’s not pretend the entire first trilogy was beloved. The first film is doing a lot of that heavy lifting. We can argue the semantics of Park vs World but either way, that doesn’t change the fact Universal is going with World for future additions/refurbs.

Let’s not pretend the entire first trilogy was beloved. The first film is doing a lot of that heavy lifting. We can argue the semantics of Park vs World but either way, that doesn’t change the fact Universal is going with World for future additions/refurbs.
I was about to say financially the World trilogy is definitely more successful. Also like you stated not all films in the original trilogy are beloved especially the third one.

It seems they are attempting to "Wizarding World" the Jurassic franchise

I see Jurassic World reaching beyond just this trilogy

There's plenty of room for Peacock shows, prequels, etc

However, I think Universal will pause on JW/JP for a bit as they have a serious lack of Dreamworks/Illumination integration that should be built up

However, I think Universal will pause on JW/JP for a bit as they have a serious lack of Dreamworks/Illumination integration that should be built up

The amount of times I've heard "Universal owns Kung Fu Panda?" during/after cinematic celebration is mind-boggling. They have done a horrible job integrating those IPs into the parks.

Even the Minions IP presence has been bizarrely inadequate up to now.

The amount of times I've heard "Universal owns Kung Fu Panda?" during/after cinematic celebration is mind-boggling. They have done a horrible job integrating those IPs into the parks.

Even the Minions IP presence has been bizarrely inadequate up to now.
I agree, it should be priority moving forward

If they're truly trying to tap into the Disney market then they have viable options

That's not to say that expanding JP was a bad idea, because the Blue M&G and Veloci are brilliant investments

**Edit: some interesting thoughts in this video on the future of the JP/JW franchise**

Last edited:

Hey as long as we don't get another movie about locusts...

But the Jurassic World franchise is done. The Jurassic IP will continue in some form - no property sits dormant long in modern Hollywood - but we don’t know what that looks like yet. No reason to spend money retheming to a defunct and not particularly beloved franchise - just wait for the next version.
Jurassic Universe, Dinosaurs in Space

I think the opening scene they’ve used in Hollywood is great in itself, but doesn’t need repeating for Orlando. Update the animatronics and we’re good to go for another 20 years. I’m guessing any investment will require a marketing benefit, so I expect a J World update for purely marketing reasons - but is hope they cut the first scene from the Orlando version. I feel it would ruin the vibe.

Shocked they haven’t brought the bar over from a Hollywood yet though, that’s a sure hit.