Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

ICON Park

When someone has a good idea but doesn't step back to look what said idea actually is. I'm all for adding some interactivity and extra fun to the Eye but Sniper Training Camp is definitely not that.

I can't believe they even made the guns look like that.

Not surprised. There's no way the ride would be able to recover its reputation after that tragedy happening only in two months of its operation.
And yet there are 4 other free standing free falls with deaths that are not only standing but still operating!

So the drop tower is being removed.

Can't say I'm surprised, especially with what was revealed.

And yet there are 4 other free standing free falls with deaths that are not only standing but still operating!

Of those other four, how many of their respective incidents were due to the park themselves altering the restraints/safety sensors like with what Icon did? I can't recall any other drop tower accident which was due to that.

I agree the real issue was the altered sensors - even if they added seatbelts no one would trust it. Shame though, as it was one of the best drop towers around (the brakes kicked in really close to the ground). But beyond the sensors the operators were also poorly trained. Any trained attendant would have noticed the restraint was still up too high, regardless of a green light. As someone who has worked similar rides I could tell immediately the restraint was too high. If it was me I would have called a supervisor at the very least to check it before dispatch.

How crazy! (only because I was just searching for an update on this a few days ago, it’s as if they knew I wanted more answers… )

Orlando Eye looks like it lost power and maybe caught fire briefly.

NSFW audio:

They’re talking about it on Reddit right now:

There’s no way they don’t go out of business after the year they’ve had, right?

The actual store/dining part is fine. It's the rides that seem to be having an issue. This place is run by Merlin (or so I thought at least), so it's surprising that such a big company would let things like this happen that could tank what is still a relatively new development.

Tear it all down and build the polarcoaster....

Polarcoaster: still coming 2020 lol (or whatever year it was lol)

As for Icon Park, their error is just that they allow to many third parties without oversight. When you hear what really was the issue of the drop tower, it was just trusting a third party with management of a serious ride without any oversight.

Ideal: have Universal buy them out and we have Universal Park :D

Polarcoaster: still coming 2020 lol (or whatever year it was lol)

As for Icon Park, their error is just that they allow to many third parties without oversight. When you hear what really was the issue of the drop tower, it was just trusting a third party with management of a serious ride without any oversight.

Ideal: have Universal buy them out and we have Universal Park :D
Universal books the wheel to put a telescope in each pod and run a guided preview center ride experience.

I was driving home yesterday from Uni's NYE party and remarked on how the Eye was dark, and how ominous it was just hiding in the heavy fog. Had no clue something actually happened.

Icon Park's rides are a pretty solid idea location and selection wise, but Management is absolutely unacceptable at this point. I've been on the Eye and Starflyer a few times before 2022, but after so many potentially and actually fatal incidents, how can anyone justify riding anymore?

The actual store/dining part is fine. It's the rides that seem to be having an issue. This place is run by Merlin (or so I thought at least), so it's surprising that such a big company would let things like this happen that could tank what is still a relatively new development.

I think Merlin has the wheel, the wax museum, and the aquarium (so this time since it is the wheel). But I think stuff like the swings, the drop tower, and the sling shut are all the 'slingshot group' or something like that.