Halloween Horror Nights 2023 (USH) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2023 (USH) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda suspected that the reason ours looked so much less rushed compared to Orlando was that it largely maintained the EDR maze, and honestly I didn’t mind. I loved Horror Hotel and I’d love to see more preshows like they did there

Now the Evil Dead Rise trailer has dropped, I hope it gets a run this year at HHN. Was it just me or did some of the set pieces in Horror Hotel appear in The Shining?

Horror hotel was a pretty good effort, was a good year for H'wood IMO.

I'll almost certainly be there again this year so I'll take what I get lol.

Maybe this can be an opportunity to get the original Evil Dead 1&2 and/or Army of Darkness. It's just wild to me that we've had the TV show, the remake, and the remake sequel (which got scrapped, but was basically done nonetheless) and we still haven't touched upon the original trilogy.

Reactions: Freak
Maybe this can be an opportunity to get the original Evil Dead 1&2 and/or Army of Darkness. It's just wild to me that we've had the TV show, the remake, and the remake sequel (which got scrapped, but was basically done nonetheless) and we still haven't touched upon the original trilogy.

IIRC they were trying to bring in Evil Dead 2 to tie into the TV show but the rightsholder vetoed that.

I wouldn't past them trying to save some money by doing Evil Dead Rise using the same sets, but I'm not clear on what sort of condition they're in - and whether the license is still available. Remember, these props and environments are generally only built to last a single season.

I went through three runs very near the end of the event and those sets were pristine for HHN, and I mean that. There was none of the usual severe damage to the wallpaper or props or other issues that you typically see near the end of the event, and that's especially notable because of the geometric nature of the walls/wallpaper. I think that's in part due to the wide hallways and how far away the guests were from most of the sets at any given time. I'd suspect that 70-80% of that maze is reusable.

Now whether they will or not probably doesn't hinge on that fact, but reskinning that maze would be trivial compared to rebuilding from scratch.

The thing is, if they do TLOU, I’m sure they would rather reuse whatever assets they could use from what’s leftover from TWDA to use from that (I.e. the burning cabin that’s still there)

I kinda suspected that the reason ours looked so much less rushed compared to Orlando was that it largely maintained the EDR maze, and honestly I didn’t mind. I loved Horror Hotel and I’d love to see more preshows like they did there
I figure ur talking about spirits of the coven in orlando. There was a big red curtain in one of those orlando scenes so i figured was to cover a spoiler. I wonder what the finale scene in coven was supposed to be tho

Last edited:
I figure ur talking about spirits of the coven in orlando. There was a big red curtain in one of those orlando scenes so i figured was to cover a spoiler. I wonder what the finale scene in coven was supposed to be tho

Orlando's replacement for Evil Dead Rise was Hellblock Horror, they tore down their Evil Dead Rise house completely before building HH in a relatively short amount of time.

Reactions: Freak
So we've got Chucky. I'm thinking, just my opinion:
  • another Universal Monsters instalment seems logical, would love to see Dracula (and Renfield film is coming).
  • TerrorTram - Crystal Lake would be interesting.
  • Maybe some new Exorcist or more of a mashup, they paid a fortune for the rights and the new film.
  • Evil Dead Rise, maybe they'll be in a better position than the rumored near miss of 2022.
  • Knock at the Cabin sounds promising
  • Maybe Smile mashed up with another B'house.
  • Winnie the Pooh : Blood and Honey would be a good comedy house, though I'd go every night if they did Cocaine Bear lol.
  • An original covering another legend like La Llorona.
I guess there's always the hope of getting Scream or any of those hard to get ones. Hellraiser seems more higher profile than it has been in a while as well.
M3GAN is Blumhouse with great reviews so far but I can do without anymore Blummashes for awhile.
I can’t imagine they won’t try something with the Exorcist having 3 movies coming out.
I’ve read the book for Knock at the cabin. Don’t think it would make a good house, it’s pretty much set in one place.

M3GAN is Blumhouse with great reviews so far but I can do without anymore Blummashes for awhile.
I can’t imagine they won’t try something with the Exorcist having 3 movies coming out.
I’ve read the book for Knock at the cabin. Don’t think it would make a good house, it’s pretty much set in one place.

She could do her own house easy. I'm not really concerned with too many dolls cause she is her own doll and the movie is very different from the Chucky tv show. Also you can have multiple masked men in one year, why not the dolls?

I'd find a M3GAN Terror Tram more interesting. Something where they can use creative liberties to give us something different from the movie (while expanding upon it), an opportunity for the doll to talk to us in the opening package, and even a photo op (which will be huge).

The opportunity writes itself to be a huge free marketing tool for Universal for everyone and influencers to take pix and video of the event to share.

As a thought experiment, there's hypothetically an almost entirely Universal lineup they could whip up this year if they choose or if corporate decides to lean on them or if rightsholders are particularly unforthcoming. Lineup would look something like this:

HOUSE LINEUP
* Chucky
* Universal Monsters (Phantom + Hunchback)
* Renfield
* Exorcist 2023
* M3GAN
* Blumhouse (Insidious 5 + They Listen, part of a package deal with Sony to get Insidious)
* Big Third Party IP
* Pueblo Del Terror

Total of one original, two outside IPs and five owned IPs. Tried to limit it to stuff that I think could plausibly appear, e.g. nothing too small, Knock At the Cabin isn't here because Shyamalan allegedly didn't want Visit to appear before, etc.

In practice, HHN tends not to go for such a heavy split in favor of owned IP, and I suspect at least a few of these won't show up at the actual event, but it's interesting to think about. At least I think two or maybe three of the IPs marketing focuses on will be owned IP (Chucky, Exorcist, maybe M3GAN)

I think Universal is capable of pulling off every year of this event for almost eternity with its own library of films. For some reason, they just choose not to, and I'm not mad at it, but it's clearly a pull to get more popular stuff. Given their horror roots, now their Blumhouse catalogue, and everything in between, they are basically the staple studio for horror. I do wish they (Universal as a film company) would either pull away (or lean in heavier) on Blumhouse's development though because those movies are never as satisfying as they could be. They got a lot of hits, but not really a lot of classics.

If they attempt M3GAN this year... best of luck to the girls wearing skintight silicone masks. Will probably be one of the most grueling roles of the year.

If they attempt M3GAN this year... best of luck to the girls wearing skintight silicone masks. Will probably be one of the most grueling roles of the year.

i'd imagine they'd tackle it like they've been for all their press promo with their m3gan squad? no masks but definitely contacts, makeup, and wigs!

Status
Not open for further replies.