Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Future of The Simpsons Ride/Springfield (Orlando)

Since Chapek was sacked Disney has indicated they are back in the business of licensing properties, which has been very profitable for them in the past. It seems there's a change in that business policy now that Iger is back.
Hmm this could have an impact

But at the same time, Comcast execs appear to want to be tighter on showcasing their IP in their parks

Simpsons sells t-shirts and Duff Beer, but it doesn't do anything for them synergistically

Hmm this could have an impact

But at the same time, Comcast execs appear to want to be tighter on showcasing their IP in their parks

Simpsons sells t-shirts and Duff Beer, but it doesn't do anything for them synergistically
Synergy doesn't always have a happy ending....especially when it's forced....cough. cough....Fast & Furious......................On Springfield:....With Epic upcoming, Fear Factor plot sitting empty & ripe for expansion, very underperforming F&F ride and product probably getting changed or replaced, and Kidzone revitalized, it may be a while until USF touches a very profitable Springfield if Disney is willing to keep making lots of money from the licensing.

Synergy doesn't always have a happy ending....especially when it's forced....cough. cough....Fast & Furious......................On Springfield:....With Epic upcoming, Fear Factor plot sitting empty & ripe for expansion, very underperforming F&F ride and product probably getting changed or replaced, and Kidzone revitalized, it may be a while until USF touches a very profitable Springfield if Disney is willing to keep making lots of money from the licensing.
2026 should give us a better understanding of the type of overhaul Universal wants to give it post EU. And we shall see what area they address first. Either way I think Universal at least has or is drawing up concepts if Disney wants to pull the IP as soon as 2028 rolls around.

Since Chapek was sacked Disney has indicated they are back in the business of licensing properties, which has been very profitable for them in the past. It seems there's a change in that business policy now that Iger is back.
This is in relation to Streaming however since that's where they are bleeding money. It's possible they do a renewal to get cash to help keep the spreadsheets looking the way they want them every quarter, but it's also possible that they see a possibility to use the Simpsons in their own parks and if they think they can use them to generate money in their parks, then they aren't going to renew a contract giving the rights back to their theme park rival. If they don't think there's anything they can do with them in their own park's (or if they feel the IP is isn't relevant enough with younger audiences to warrant a large investment) then we'll see a renewal.

What's happening in the Disney company now really doesn't matter much since Iger won't be there in 2028 or whenever. It'll be an entirely different CEO and all of the problems of TWDC of today might not exist in 5 years if they can make streaming profitable. Streaming can definitely be profitable if they take the more cautious approach they're headed down of less content overall, sharing it among streaming and network TV, and licensing out content to other streamers. That along should bring down the losses from streaming in a big way.

I'd love to see The Simpsons stay forever, but my gut tells me they'll be gone after 2028 (assuming that's when the rights expire).

Replacement? Probably something Dreamworks or Illumination related.

I'd love to see The Simpsons stay forever, but my gut tells me they'll be gone after 2028 (assuming that's when the rights expire).

I'd think they would want to keep anything Illumination closer to where Minion Mayhem and Villain Con Minion Blast are. Of those two IPs, Dreamworks is far more likely IMO. As I touched on earlier if Shrek 5 comes around 2025-2026, they could turn Springfield and even World Expo into a Far Far Away land with two decent sized attractions. That replacement I have a feeling would be exclusive to Orlando only. As for USH, that park already has the Dreamworks Theater which rules out the possibility of a DW IP taking over their Simpsons Ride. They could go with something Illumination related as a standalone ride as the area SLOP and Minion Mayhem are is now called Minion Land. Or they could use a WB IP if those rumors are true and NBCU gets WBD. I also think USH's FFB will be rethemed to a basic LA style street to tie in with the rumored F&F coaster coming in 2024. USF's FFB can be rethemed to a Shrek food court if they go with a Far Far Away land.

I'd think they would want to keep anything Illumination closer to where Minion Mayhem and Villain Con Minion Blast are. Of those two IPs, Dreamworks is far more likely IMO. As I touched on earlier if Shrek 5 comes around 2025-2026, they could turn Springfield and even World Expo into a Far Far Away land with two decent sized attractions. That replacement I have a feeling would be exclusive to Orlando only. As for USH, that park already has the Dreamworks Theater which rules out the possibility of a DW IP taking over their Simpsons Ride. They could go with something Illumination related as a standalone ride as the area SLOP and Minion Mayhem are is now called Minion Land. Or they could use a WB IP if those rumors are true and NBCU gets WBD. I also think USH's FFB will be rethemed to a basic LA style street to tie in with the rumored F&F coaster coming in 2024. USF's FFB can be rethemed to a Shrek food court if they go with a Far Far Away land.
Yeah honestly, if Uni were to acquire Warner Bros, this whole thing is moot and Simpsons is definitely gone lol

I'm gonna be extremely upset when The Simpsons go, so I'm slowly preparing for the day Universal announces the closure of The Simpsons Ride/Springfield lol.

A part of me wishes they would revisit the BTTF coaster concept as a replacement, but I think all hope of classic IPs like BTTF and Jaws returning went out the window a long time ago.

Springfield/Simpsons Ride/Animal Actors stage and backstage areas take up a large amount of land, so Universal could create a pretty immersive/large land. Pokemon, DreamWorks, Illumination, etc. would work in that space.

I'm gonna be extremely upset when The Simpsons go, so I'm slowly preparing for the day Universal announces the closure of The Simpsons Ride/Springfield lol.

A part of me wishes they would revisit the BTTF coaster concept as a replacement, but I think all hope of classic IPs like BTTF and Jaws returning went out the window a long time ago.

Springfield/Simpsons Ride/Animal Actors stage and backstage areas take up a large amount of land, so Universal could create a pretty immersive/large land. Pokemon, DreamWorks, Illumination, etc. would work in that space.
I firmly believe that Simpsons/Springfield will be taken over by a Dreamworks IP. As I have stated on the forums previously I am hoping they do a Far Far Away land or mini land provided Shrek 5 comes out by then and does well enough at the box office to get the franchise back on it's feet. The Simpsons plot could hold an interactive attraction like Midway Mania or Web Slingers but on a much larger scale. As for the backstage area nestled between MIB and Simpsons, that can be it's own area. If the rumored WBD buyout happens, that could be where a DC land goes

Y’all are missing out on the best idea to replace Springfield: New Mexico from Breaking Bad. Just have a row of shops themed to the Hot Dog shack from season one, Los Apollo’s Hernando’s, Taco Sal’s, and replace the donut stand with an RV that sells candy themed to the blue crystal meth with green smoke coming out of it. Call it Captain Kook’s. Oh, and have a gift shop themed to Saul’s office.

Not a chance in hades that would happen, but I think it would be a great replacement for Springfield and possibly the best theme park land ever.

EDIT TO ADD: EVEN BETTER! Retheme Duff’s to Hank’s Ales! BOOM! I just made you a LOT of money Uni!

I firmly believe that Simpsons/Springfield will be taken over by a Dreamworks IP. As I have stated on the forums previously I am hoping they do a Far Far Away land or mini land provided Shrek 5 comes out by then and does well enough at the box office to get the franchise back on it's feet. The Simpsons plot could hold an interactive attraction like Midway Mania or Web Slingers but on a much larger scale. As for the backstage area nestled between MIB and Simpsons, that can be it's own area. If the rumored WBD buyout happens, that could be where a DC land goes
I doubt a DC land would ever happen with Marvel Superhero Island next door.

I doubt a DC land would ever happen with Marvel Superhero Island next door.
NBCU will likely shell out tons of money and rack up tons of debt purchasing WBD. I would bet after going through that they would want to leverage whatever WB IP they can. Might as well use your own IP than shell out money for a competitor. In general with the exception of Nintendo and Potter (at least for now) Universal appears to want to move away from licensed IP to more in house IP. Plus with Osaka's Spiderman heavily rumored to get rethemed to Pokemon, Superhero Island in IOA can get rethemed to Pokemon if push comes to shove.

NBCU will likely shell out tons of money and rack up tons of debt purchasing WBD. I would bet after going through that they would want to leverage whatever WB IP they can. Might as well use your own IP than shell out money for a competitor. In general with the exception of Nintendo and Potter (at least for now) Universal appears to want to move away from licensed IP to more in house IP. Plus with Osaka's Spiderman heavily rumored to get rethemed to Pokemon, Superhero Island in IOA can get rethemed to Pokemon if push comes to shove.
Is NBCU actually going to purchase WBD or is it still considered speculation?

Is NBCU actually going to purchase WBD or is it still considered speculation?
Speculation for now. Nothing can happen until April 2024 at the earliest due to SEC rules regarding mergers. But industry insiders with knowledge of both companies claim based on WBD's latest moves like cancelling projects and purging content from HBOMAX for tax write-offs, they are trying to trim the fat to become more appealing for a potential merger with another company. Think of this like one of those house flipping shows on HGTV which WBD now owns. Comcast needs more compelling IP to make Peacock a true competitor in the streaming space as one of those same insiders actually said, "Obviously Peacock sucks. They are some good synergies. I'm sure that Roberts is licking his chops right now because the WBD stock is so low." A merger with WBD would make NBCU a true Disney level IP powerhouse to compete in the streaming and the theme park space. Universal needs a greater diversity of IP for the parks and this deal would also accomplish that. I doubt that Brian Roberts (Comcast CEO) would want to turn to turn down a possibly once in a generation opportunity to turn NBCU into that true Disney level IP powerhouse.

Y’all are missing out on the best idea to replace Springfield: New Mexico from Breaking Bad. Just have a row of shops themed to the Hot Dog shack from season one, Los Apollo’s Hernando’s, Taco Sal’s, and replace the donut stand with an RV that sells candy themed to the blue crystal meth with green smoke coming out of it. Call it Captain Kook’s. Oh, and have a gift shop themed to Saul’s office.

Not a chance in hades that would happen, but I think it would be a great replacement for Springfield and possibly the best theme park land ever.

EDIT TO ADD: EVEN BETTER! Retheme Duff’s to Hank’s Ales! BOOM! I just made you a LOT of money Uni!
El Camino roller coaster with real, life or death stakes :D

I know we've talked about the Simpsons ride plot not being very big, but I think they'd be able to do a bit more there than we think. The building takes up about 30k sq ft, so with just a little bit more expansion behind Coke Refresh and a little further back, they'd have about the same amount of space as Transformers and Cat in the Hat.

Especially if they'd be open to doing something multi-level.

I know we've talked about the Simpsons ride plot not being very big, but I think they'd be able to do a bit more there than we think. The building takes up about 30k sq ft, so with just a little bit more expansion behind Coke Refresh and a little further back, they'd have about the same amount of space as Transformers and Cat in the Hat.

Especially if they'd be open to doing something multi-level.
That “further back” part is the wrinkle. Simpsons is butt-up to the access road that leads to the Simpsons gate. That road leads to the loading/dumpsters for FFB so you don’t really want to close it off too much.

I can actually see a new show building encroaching further into the park (into the queue space) before going further back. Further back impacts the restaurant, Animal Actors and the Destination Dreamworks show-space.

That “further back” part is the wrinkle. Simpsons is butt-up to the access road that leads to the Simpsons gate. That road leads to the loading/dumpsters for FFB so you don’t really want to close it off too much.

I can actually see a new show building encroaching further into the park (into the queue space) before going further back. Further back impacts the restaurant, Animal Actors and the Destination Dreamworks show-space.
After I posted my previous comment, I even thought "wait maybe it'd be more feasible to stretch a bit forward."

Not that it'd be easy, but I'd probably be easier to widen the guest walkways a bit rather than encroach on back-of-house stuff.

This is what I've got:

1680264433046.png

Anyone know what kind of space SLOP takes up?