Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

“Black Box” Ride for DCA

Jan 10, 2013
No man's land: SoCal
I like the idea and it has huge potential to stay relevant instead of the several years it needs for an IP to prove itself before heading into the parks.

My two concerns are that, we've been told for decades about rides that can easily be updated and they never are and the experience will never be as good as a dedicated ride system.

I like the idea and it has huge potential to stay relevant instead of the several years it needs for an IP to prove itself before heading into the parks.

My two concerns are that, we've been told for decades about rides that can easily be updated and they never are and the experience will never be as good as a dedicated ride system.
True. I could see DLR using this as an opportunity to make seasonal overlays for rides. I don’t see WDW doing that though, unless they already at their disposal.

I can see the appeal but do we really think Disney is gonna invest in switching the rides theme around when they have had this tech all along? Midway mania was supposed to have Halloween and Xmas overlays. We’ve heard this before. it’s just not effective to go back and swap out themes.

True. I could see DLR using this as an opportunity to make seasonal overlays for rides. I don’t see WDW doing that though, unless they already at their disposal.

I think seasonal overlays is something that WDW is missing and makes DLR so special. If this allows for a quick turnaround, similar to what Guardians does for Halloween, it adds a lot more possibilities. Having a different ride daily, could be a huge pull if done right.

I’m going a bit later than normal to DLR this year and I’ll get to experience The Haunted Mansion overlay for the first time and I can’t wait.

What if the plan is that the Parks division isn't paying for each individual switched ride... but Walt Disney Pictures is paying for some of them as a way to advertise their upcoming films? The ride would for sure get changed every so often if the Pictures Division wants to advertise and then the parks can say they have a "new" attraction.

What if the plan is that the Parks division isn't paying for each individual switched ride... but Walt Disney Pictures is paying for some of them as a way to advertise their upcoming films? The ride would for sure get changed every so often if the Pictures Division wants to advertise and then the parks can say they have a "new" attraction.

With the way Universal made a lot of their rides and sharing a similar system, I would love for them to create something similar to this.

Call it the Universal Studios Florida Time Machine:

Use the Despicable Me system while also featuring BTTF, Shrek 3D, Nicktoon Blast, The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera. 5 rides for the price of one.

Isn’t this what the film division did in the 90s. The side effect is when the films promotional budget is expanded then the show or attraction gets canned. Like the hunchback show in MGM.

I'm actually totally for the inclusion of black box rides, as it could allow for something new every visit (think VOID). While the concept seems more in line and applicable at a Universal Park, this coming to DLR, probably California Adventure, makes a lot of sense.

EDIT: Also, what's Tom's source on this? If anyone has a link, please send it my way

That really depends on the execution. The Void can SEEM cheap because when described it's just a VR thing but because it's executed so well I'd argue those experiences are better than some of the rides in the parks.

It’s small scale so it doesn’t have the same investment as the big rides will have which will always result in lesser quality but because it’s smaller, it feels more intimate which goes a long way in making the experience feel special.

It’s small scale so it doesn’t have the same investment as the big rides will have which will always result in lesser quality but because it’s smaller, it feels more intimate which goes a long way in making the experience feel special.

That can't also apply to black box? Why does everything have to be massive scale and grand? That's the opposite of Disneyland lol

I think it would be kinda cool to have a attraction that can just become something new every year or two.....Heck I think more rides should be ready to allow for updates and Easter Eggs.

The Falcon ride I think would get double the line if they added Mando and Baby Yoda to it...I would not have been again last year having a Frozen 2 themed ride and this next year it would become a Rava the last dragon attraction