Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

A Celebration of Harry Potter - 2018

I was responding to the comment about it not taking off in the states and general pessimism for the series mainly. It did over $200 million here and $800 million worldwide. These were never going to do Potter numbers and WB knew that. Sure they would have liked $300M/$1B type numbers, but I don't think they freaked out over the numbers it did. It's nothing like TFA. If they release a Potter movie with Daniel, Emma, and Rupert in it, then we can talk about a TFA comparison.

Also, the Potter movies, while big, never were box office juggernauts. The first and last were bigger, but still, DH2 is the only one in the top 50 domestic. SS is the only one in the adjusted for inflation top 100. Most weren't even the biggest the year it came out. They always were bigger internationally than in the states and FB will play out the same way. For an original story with all original characters it probably did better than it should have. The next movie has Dumbledore, so that should draw more of the Potter crowd in. So like I said. It's fine.
I guess we’ll see how FB2 does and how big (if any) the drop off is.

As others have stated, FB didn’t get to $800M on the FB brand, it was Potter fans that seemed to come away with rather mixed responses. This upcoming movie may be the first real test as to how loyal the fan base is.

My family and I really enjoyed the celebration event. Very well done and lots to do. Plan on attending next year as well.

Was it your first year, or had there been some time between visits? Curious as I've talked to several "pros" who attend all the time that were let down, but have talked to newbies that were happy. Wanted to see if that applies here.

This upcoming movie may be the first real test as to how loyal the fan base is.

I think WB has screwed the pooch with FB. The Depp casting/keeping him for movie 2 has tainted what was already a mixed reaction to the first one. I expect a decent sized drop off. Hell, look what happened to TLJ, and that was a huge improvement on TFA. A fanbase is only as loyal as long as you're giving them good things. The original books and movies are still going to be the driving force behind Potter fandom, just as the original movies are still the driving force behind SW's. WB should have gone back to the drawing board after FB's reception, instead they push through stubbornly, but that's par for the course with them. *cough*DCEU*cough*

I think WB has screwed the pooch with FB. The Depp casting/keeping him for movie 2 has tainted what was already a mixed reaction to the first one. I expect a decent sized drop off. Hell, look what happened to TLJ, and that was a huge improvement on TFA. A fanbase is only as loyal as long as you're giving them good things. The original books and movies are still going to be the driving force behind Potter fandom, just as the original movies are still the driving force behind SW's. WB should have gone back to the drawing board after FB's reception, instead they push through stubbornly, but that's par for the course with them. *cough*DCEU*cough*
I think FB2 will exceed expectations at the box office.

And Avatar 2 will flop hard.

Last edited:

Wish I could upvote this more than once.

The fact that WB thinks FB needs Depp, let alone that anyone actually wants him in it blows my mind. His baggage surpassed his talent long ago. The man had his lines fed to him via an ear mic for the last Pirates!

I want the second movie to be good. But I also want it to crash and burn because that's what WB deseves.

I think FB2 with exceed expectations at the box office.

And Avatar 2 will flop hard.
What does Avatar 2 have to do with anything? Sure it's a sequel similar to FB2, but Avatar did insane numbers, putting up $2.7B. People can't honestly be expecting anything close to that. I would say it does somewhere between $1.3-$1.5B WW easy though if the Chinese market is as crazy about it as they were the first time. This isn't really the place to be discussing Avatar though.

What does Avatar 2 have to do with anything? Sure it's a sequel similar to FB2, but Avatar did insane numbers, putting up $2.7B. People can't honestly be expecting anything close to that. I would say it does somewhere between $1.3-$1.5B WW easy though if the Chinese market is as crazy about it as they were the first time. This isn't really the place to be discussing Avatar though.
I was just lumping all my unpopular movie predictions together.

Avatar2 finishes up it's opening weekend with $82mil/domestically. And loses weekend 2 too "Trolls 2".

And Dumbledore kicking ass in a long coat is all it will take for the fangirlz to push FB2 to the next level. JD be damned.

Edit: and JD's saving grace is his talent far exceeds his intelligence.

I think Dumbledore being in this brings more of the Potter crowd in. The first movie had no known characters really.

Comparing anything to TFA is kinda crazy. It's not so much that TLJ fell off(I mean its still going to end up the 5th or 6th biggest movie all time), as TFA was just a monster. It had 30+ years of pent up demand and the original cast. If they do a HP movie with the original 3 actors in 2040, then we can make a comparison to TFA and TLJ.

I don't think "no known characters" was the issue with the first one.
Very forgettable, it was.

I saw some guy cosplaying as the No-maj from the movie (briefcase and all) yesterday, but thinking about it, the movie/franchise does have one very similar problem that Avatar had - Pretty much all of the characters are forgettable. The only characters name I could remember off-hand was Newt. I couldn't think of the characters name for the life of me that the guy was dressed as. Now it is going to have some of those characters that we do know going forward, but as you said, the characters weren't the sole issue.

Very forgettable, it was.

I saw some guy cosplaying as the No-maj from the movie (briefcase and all) yesterday, but thinking about it, the movie/franchise does have one very similar problem that Avatar had - Pretty much all of the characters are forgettable. The only characters name I could remember off-hand was Newt. I couldn't think of the characters name for the life of me that the guy was dressed as. Now it is going to have some of those characters that we do know going forward, but as you said, the characters weren't the sole issue.

I liked the movie, and thought the production design and characters were good, but the story was all over the place. It was clear Rowling had one idea that morphed into another 1/2 way through writing it, and due to it being a movie and not a book she didn’t have time to go back and fix the first half.

I liked the movie, and thought the production design and characters were good, but the story was all over the place. It was clear Rowling had one idea that morphed into another 1/2 way through writing it, and due to it being a movie and not a book she didn’t have time to go back and fix the first half.
The story was what I was referring to as well.

WB doesn't really have much control over FB though; whatever Rowling wants, she'll get as long as it's profitable.

I really want to stay here, but it's always booked when I want to go..Those new hotels can't come soon enough

How far out is a good time to book?

WB doesn't really have much control over FB though; whatever Rowling wants, she'll get as long as it's profitable.
Ummm... yes they can. Just because JK Rowling is writing the screenplay and is the content owner doesn't mean that WB can't communicate with her when certain things aren't working.

They are the ones funding her chance (that she has earned) to expand upon the Wizarding World. WB is marketing the project. WB is paying everybody for all work related to the project. If the movie fails hard (which it won't), WB could theoretically lose money. If WB feels like there's an issue with a film (whether it be pacing, story, characters, etc) and how it appeals to the audience, a good studio exec would go straight to JK Rowling herself to fix the situation.