Alton Towers | Inside Universal Forums

Alton Towers

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Feb 25, 2014
So, Alton Towers has had quite a bit of activity lately. Nemesis is undergoing a major refurbishment, then we have Project Horizon piquing curiosity. However, those are looking to arrive in 2024 and 2025, respectively.

Now something else is brewing, something more recent and quite possibly it could arrive sometime this year. Apparently last year Duel: The Haunted House Strikes Back! closed, with signs that the house has been "REPOSSESED". And Merlin has confirmed they're changing it back to something closer to the original Haunted House, with a new story and effects, while also retaining many classic effects as well.

New overlay for Duel has been announced last week!

I've been on Duel and it was kind of showing its age. Looking forward to seeing what they do with this new theme! Glad they turned it back into a traditional haunted house dark ride, but Alton could use a good shooting ride later on down the line.

POV for Curse of Alton Manor is up!

Looks pretty good! That ending is mildly horrifying. This looks creepy enough to where you could easily sell this as a Scary Farm house if you remove the track.

From what you can see in the POV, this looks like a wonderful improvement over Duel! It looks creepy, demented and yeah, that ending is downright freaky. From the sounds of it, they'll still be tweaking/improving the ride in the coming weeks/months. But all in all, it's a very nice update and pretty impressive considering it was all done in about six months.

Reactions: Freak

I'm in love with the new track. It just looks so much cooler & more menacing than the original plain white. It's sad the coaster doesn’t have the waterfalls anymore, those really looked great. The new animatronic eyeball is a great addition (no matter how many people crap on it).

Here's a POV...

"Off-ride" video p0rn of Nemesis

Nemesis is one of my favorite B&M inverts ever. Such a genius use of space given the height restrictions they had to work with. They really use the "close-call" terrain moments to their advantage and makes the coaster that much more exhilarating.

Hopefully I'll be able to visit the UK again someday because the retrack and new theming look fantastic Looks like the improved upon everything that already made Nemesis great.