Artegon Site for New Theme Park? | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Artegon Site for New Theme Park?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
People forget that Six Flags hasn't built a new park since 1971 - in St Louis. All other parks since then are previously owned parks they purchased. Plus its been indicated the owners of Six Flags Georgia have made it clear they do not want a park in Florida.

When was the last new theme park even built? Cedar Fair and Six Flags aren't really in the park building business. Herschend built SDC but that was in like the 60's. Herschend seems the more likely of the three to me, but none are obvious choices.

When was the last new theme park even built? Cedar Fair and Six Flags aren't really in the park building business. Herschend built SDC but that was in like the 60's. Herschend seems the more likely of the three to me, but none are obvious choices.
Here is a quote from a Theme Park Insider article about Artegon possibilities:

Merlin's also the only operator outside of Disney and Universal to build a major successful park in the United States in the past 20 years.

I believe that would be Legoland. They have another one planned for New York. Hard to believe.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I believe that would be Legoland. They have another one planned for New York. Hard to believe.
While that's technically true Legoland was built almost 20 years ago. Also Legoland Florida was a rebranding of an existing park.

Although there is an advantage in this for Merlin. They've been able to successfully group the Legoland resort and the I-Drive attractions together even with the large distance between them. The only questionable aspect of this is they are obviously still trying to grow the Legoland FL business, it might not be a good time to potentially cannibalize that.

I hope that Herschend buys the land. They could actually outclass Universal and Disney when it comes to smaller scale live entertainment and would have experience creating decently themed but affordable attractions.

It seems silly that Universal wouldn't just buy this even if they had no plans to use it for a long time given the proximity and Comcast money though.

I would have also thought Ferrari land would be a possibility, but they aren't US based I guess unless it would be in partnership with someone else.

I just hope they start building it soon before we hit some sort of recession and the developer gets spooked.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Slightly off topic, are there any photos of these?

LancerE-four.jpg

festival_bay_mall_by_qzjavs.jpg

R08-D07-Fest-Bay-Mall.jpg

Festival-Bay-Mall-Orlando-Florida.jpg

screen-shot-2014-06-16-at-12.45.52-pmjpg

Well, that's one less possibility, though they did not meet the rumor criteria. I wonder if other theme park operations will step up to take themselves out of the rumors.

I wouldn't say that's reason enough to count them out, although there are other reasons.
There is certainly wiggle room in that statement. But if they don't want to be included in the rumor I'm happy to take them off. I am curious about what your other reasons for Six Flags not being in Florida are. If Busch Gardens and Funspot can succeed in Central Florida I would think that Six Flags could.

There is certainly wiggle room in that statement. But if they don't want to be included in the rumor I'm happy to take them off. I am curious about what your other reasons for Six Flags not being in Florida are. If Busch Gardens and Funspot can succeed in Central Florida I would think that Six Flags could.
It was mentioned that Six Flags does not meet the criteria of the original rumor.

It's not uncommon at all for a developer to deny rumors until deals are finalized though. Walt Disney himself specifically denied interest in FL for WDW.

It's not uncommon at all for a developer to deny rumors until deals are finalized though. Walt Disney himself specifically denied interest in FL for WDW.
True, but there are so many rumors about other parks and attractions coming to the area until I see something substantial I'm just having fun with it.

Could all this be a ploy to get C0mcast to buy the land? I mean if I wanted to sell some land next to a theme park that is known to be expanding rapidly and is somewhat landlocked, I'd certainly not be above saying that another theme park operator was interested. Kind of a larger version of the games realtors play.

Could all this be a ploy to get C0mcast to buy the land? I mean if I wanted to sell some land next to a theme park that is known to be expanding rapidly and is somewhat landlocked, I'd certainly not be above saying that another theme park operator was interested. Kind of a larger version of the games realtors play.
Well the story was out there before all of this that the Artegon owners were looking to sell the land. I would imagine this is probably helping to drive the value of that land up....

Well the story was out there before all of this that the Artegon owners were looking to sell the land. I would imagine this is probably helping to drive the value of that land up....

Maybe they weren't seeing enough response from that story?