Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

B&M Trademarks New Coaster Type: "Surf Coaster"

GAcoaster

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2012
Orlando
B&M filed a trademark for something called Surf Coaster. I'm not sure if this is a new coaster type or a new version of the stand up coaster. Perhaps some type of water coaster?

TESS -- Error

SURF COASTER
Goods and Services IC 006. US 002 012 013 014 023 025 050. G & S: Buildings of metal; buildings and structures of metal for roller coaster rides and amusement rides for amusement parks, theme parks, leisure parks, recreation parks, water parks and fairgrounds
IC 012. US 019 021 023 031 035 044. G & S: Vehicles; parts of vehicles included in this class; vehicles for roller coaster rides and amusement rides for amusement parks, theme parks, leisure parks, recreation parks, water parks and fairgrounds; monorail and multi-rail vehicles

IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: Roller coaster rides and amusement rides for amusement parks, theme parks, leisure parks, recreation parks, water parks and fairgrounds

IC 037. US 100 103 106. G & S: Building; repair; installation services; building, erection, installation, servicing, repair, renovation, maintenance and dismantlement of structures of metal, in particular steel structures; building, erection, installation, servicing, repair, renovation, maintenance and dismantlement of buildings of metal; building, erection, installation, servicing, repair, renovation, maintenance and dismantlement of buildings and structures of metal for roller coaster rides and amusement rides for amusement parks, theme parks, leisure parks, recreation parks, water parks and fairgrounds; building, erection, installation, servicing, repair, renovation, maintenance and dismantlement of roller coaster rides and amusement rides for amusement parks, theme parks, leisure parks, recreation parks, water parks and fairgrounds; building, installation, servicing, repair, renovation and maintenance of vehicles; building, installation, servicing, repair, renovation and maintenance of parts of vehicles; building, installation, servicing, repair, renovation and maintenance of vehicles for roller coaster rides and amusement rides for amusement parks, theme parks, leisure parks, recreation parks, water parks and fairgrounds; building, installation, servicing, repair, renovation and maintenance of monorail and multi-rail vehicles

IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment; amusement park services; operation of amusement parks, theme parks, leisure parks, recreation parks, water parks and fairgrounds

IC 042. US 100 101. G & S: Design services and technological consultancy in the field of roller coaster rides and amusement rides for amusement parks, theme parks, leisure parks, recreation parks, water parks and fairgrounds; design of buildings of metal; design of buildings and structures of metal for roller coaster rides and amusement rides for amusement parks, theme parks, leisure parks, recreation parks, water parks and fairgrounds; design of vehicles; design of parts of vehicles; design of vehicles for roller coaster rides and amusement rides for amusement parks, theme parks, leisure parks, recreation parks, water parks and fairgrounds; design of monorail and multi-rail vehicles; design of roller coaster rides and amusement rides for amusement parks, theme parks, leisure parks, recreation parks, water parks and fairgrounds

Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 88449784
Filing Date May 28, 2019
Current Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT) Bolliger & Mabillard Ingénieurs Conseils S.A. société anonyme (sa) SWITZERLAND Chemin des Dailles 31 1870 Monthey SWITZERLAND 00000
Attorney of Record Gregory B. Coy
Type of Mark TRADEMARK. SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Kw6sTheater on CoasterForce suggested that the “Surf” aspect could be referring to the position of the riders. He suggested that the experience would be similar to a flying coaster, except instead of being suspended from the restraints, riders would lay down horizontally above the track similar to how one would surf.

Leaked concept art

maxresdefault.jpg

one does not surf lying down, more like Boogie Board Coaster.
I know I posted the picture above as a joke, but my speculation is either three different concepts that I've heard

1) Re-working and re-launch of improved stand up model....More comfortable and free
2) Water Coaster concept (seems unlikely as B&M is pretty simplified and doesn't branch out too much)
3) Reversed lay down concept or reworked wing rider

Who hates B&M?

How, would you would be a better question

Generalizing, but people who like Intamin and intense coasters complain that B&M's are forceless and have boring layouts. It's a frequent war on coaster message boards.

I always wonder about that. B&Ms are whatever the park buying them wants to be in terms of force.

Yes and no. B&M is only going to build what it's going to build. If you say I want a Dragster clone, they are probably going to decline. I'm pretty sure that's why we don't see much in the way of launched coasters from them. The rumors I've heard of the process when you deal with B&M is you give them the basic idea of what you want and the plot, and they design the coaster around that. I'm sure the parks can make requests, and I'm sure a park like Universal or CP that is probably paying up already, can get more done. But, in general, B&M's are the Cadillac of coasters and are priced accordingly. To ratchet up the intensity probably would result in a higher cost(and more wear and tear on equipment, leading to potentially more down time) and most parks are probably at their budget already. They are reliable people eaters and are generally loved by the GP. That's really what the parks are looking for most the time, so asking for a more intense ride isn't usually going to happen.

Out of the 5 parks (Disney, Aventura,Europa,Phantasialand, Efteling)we did in Europe this summer. The top five coasters include two B&M hypers and one Dive. And I wish I had stopped for the Launched wing at Toverland.