Back to the Future Ride ideas | Inside Universal Forums

Back to the Future Ride ideas

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Aug 12, 2021
So I got a few ideas on how Uni can bring it back.

1. Make it a VR ride.
2. Have the same ride system as the original but instead of a screen the entire experience is made using holograms.
3. Wasn’t there a cancelled Universal park in Europe that was going to have a BTTF roller coaster? If so (I currently am not bothering to research yet) this could also be a possibility?

I have absolutely zero inside information, but I can pretty much guarantee none of those proposals are happening lol.
What I would pitch to Universal is a thrill ride version of The Great Movie Ride, with the ride vehicle being the DeLorean, with your tour guide being Steven Spielberg (or Robert Zemeckis).
You would be sent back in time to major events in Universal Studios history, like its founding by Carl Laemmle, the first monster movies, early animation, their successes in the 70's and 80's, etc. But then one of the cartoon villains breaks out of his movie, steals your plutonium, and strands you in the past.
It's up to the studio crew and your favorite characters to create a lightning bolt of 1.21 gigawatts to send you back home, reset the timeline, and save the studio!

None what-so-ever for me on holograms, but...hear me out.

Back To The Future was a trilogy that relied on the prospect of time travel, and the continous moving's of Doc and Marty through time. And in the process, (Especially if you've seen Telltale's successor story), they create a new future that invigorates and gives them the chances to do something more.

But what if the Institute of Future Technology, worked on something beyond time travel? What if they tapped, into the theory of the multiverse?

Crazy as I am saying this: but I can genuinely buy a BTTU (Back To The Multiverse) story working extremely well for Universal, especially if it'd be done as an elaborate Great Movie Ride that had a story. Have the Institute of Future Technology a big player as it was for the ride, but instead of simply time travel, they were delving into quantum mechanics and multiverse theories. You can then have a similar set-up to how BTTF The Ride is done: Biff steals a Delorean that can travel to the Multiverse, and Doc needs the help of guests to go through the Multiverse.

You can have it be a celebration of Universal's film log from live action to animation, even bringing back aspects like 2015 Hill Valley because of "Multiverse-Logic". You remove the nature of time dating the attraction, and in the process could celebrate and make something timeless.

Last edited:
I’ve said before how BTTF could be a major part of an ‘Epic Movie Ride,’ but if they were to make a standalone attraction, I say they should do a slot-car attraction almost like Test Track. Have a high-speed launch that takes you to your desired time destination, but have it outside to make a spectacle for the guests walking by. The car pulls out of the institute onto a long, outdoor straightaway, and launches before re-entering the show building and being met with colored lights and fiber-optics that represent that you’ve left the present. Have the story that Doc has discovered an impending catastrophe that could mean the end of the world, but has pinpointed it to a single event in the past that we the riders are going back in time to stop from happening to save the world. They could even tie-in the story of the original ride, saying that something Biff did with a hijacked Delorean put the space-time continuum in danger, and we end up chasing him across time to stop it. This keeps the hot-pursuit story of the original that was popular and well-liked, while giving it a fresh take and higher stakes for a modern audience. Just my idea though