Back to the Future: The Ride | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Back to the Future: The Ride

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Know what I'm curious about? How they altered the ride footage once. One of the signs in the ride footage in Hill Valley was changed to Toyota during the time it sponsored the ride. Must've been done digitally, right? And then just reprinted?

That's an interesting question. I'm not sure about the digital aspect, but I'd be surprised if they managed to do change it manually without any digital effects.

Remember, Terminator 2 was introduced in the early 1990s!

I think Universal Studios Japan still uses the "Toyota" footage, since Toyota still sponsors their version of the Back to the Future.

Yup, USJ's BTTF still has the Toyota footage. The sponsorship came quite a bit later if i remember, so I'm sure when they edited it, they did it digitally somehow and reprinted that short segment of footage.

That won't work on a small scale, although they can just play it on the current screen anyway.

How cool would it be if Universal spent some money and gave BTTF The Ride a limited engagement return in 2015. Reprogram some of the ride vehicles and play and footage in just one of the domes. Impractical by Universal's standards, but not impossible!

Has anyone ever thought about the possibilities of Transformers being "re-themed" as Back to the Future? There is no way a single chance it would ever happen, but personally, I think it would be great to experience.

Nice photos, eas014!

Thanks for sharing. We'll have an update in the coming days detailing the DeLorean as well.

Wow, great find. Funny to see them still using Laserdiscs up until the last few years of the ride's operation.

Yeah, funny, hu? The original Kong used Laserdiscs for the helicopter news footage as well. But honestly, look at the hard work and craftsmanship that went into making the BTTF ride footage. Absolutely amazing. Compare that to the heartless and cold lame CG animation of the Simpsons ride footage. Nothing against CGI but geez it's always looked SOOOO cheap. The ride film, besides for the T Rex, would really hold up till today. Truly amazing and really sad....

This should be uber obvious, but the control room has been vastly updated with flatscreens and such during the redo to Simpsons. BTTF used old school 90's tech up until 2007.
I would hope so. I'm just amazed those machines were that reliable, since I heard Florida converted their footage to a computer a long time ago.

Wish they would remaster the ride film for Blu-ray. That would be remarkable.

Yeah, I'd love to see a remastered version on BluRay in real HD. I'm sure if they would've redone the footage in 4k (with the film they used, it would've been possible), BTTF would've been almost as popular as Transformers. It's kinda hard to compare flying through an animated world VS a "real" world ride.

Sure miss this ride like no tomorrow. Anyone know if the whole "Back to the Future: The Ride 2" rumor has any weight? I've seen it plastered everywhere with a 2015 release. I doubt it's true, but who am I to know.

In my dreams it's true but no, I doubt we'll see any BTTF ride ever again. As cool as a new BTTF ride would be, one limitation and "self destruction" that the original had is that traveling to 2015 isn't that far into the future, and in three years it would've been traveling into the PAST. See Disneyland's Tomorrowland. Anytime you have something that deals with the future, unless its the VERY distant future, you're basically making it outdated very fast.

But yes, it would be amazing. ...

In my dreams it's true but no, I doubt we'll see any BTTF ride ever again. As cool as a new BTTF ride would be, one limitation and "self destruction" that the original had is that traveling to 2015 isn't that far into the future, and in three years it would've been traveling into the PAST. See Disneyland's Tomorrowland. Anytime you have something that deals with the future, unless its the VERY distant future, you're basically making it outdated very fast.

But yes, it would be amazing. ...
I just might have an Idea to fix that problem of traveling into any future.

Maybe for some reason Doc makes a breaking discovery in science. that there are multiple time-lines and we just so happen to be in the timeline that didn't develop Hover conversion up until 2015.  A new system is added to the DeLorean to choose which Timeline (Dimension) The Time Machine will travel through. Us as riders can venture into 2015 of Doc and Marty's universe during our ride adventure in another attempt to fix both timelines before any disruptions occur in the space-time continuum.