Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Back to the Future: The Ride

Never heard this before but it appears that BTTF was originally planned to go on top of the parking garage where Despicable Me / SLOP sits today. Anyone have any more info on this?!?

Not sure how far the plans ever progressed before they settled on the final location but the below shows their orifginal plans for the top of the Frankenstein parking garage:
LA Tour / Top Deck ExpansionUniversal City, CA | Ewing Architects
MCA_TOP-DECK-Site-Plan-.jpg

Whoa! Where did you find this??? Incredible. I knew of the original plan to place it on the parking structure and it had to be redesigned because the structure could not handle the vibrations of the building...but never seen actual schematic! Nice find! This made my day!

Whoa! Where did you find this??? Incredible. I knew of the original plan to place it on the parking structure and it had to be redesigned because the structure could not handle the vibrations of the building...but never seen actual schematic! Nice find! This made my day!

Just a bit of random googling to be honest!

I do love a plan so things like this always pop out at me.

Does anyone know, is Universal able to flip a switch and have this run the Back to the Future Film/ ride profile, or is the ride/ projection system completely different?

Does anyone know, is Universal able to flip a switch and have this run the Back to the Future Film/ ride profile, or is the ride/ projection system completely different?

When The Simpsons ride was built most of the BTTF stuff was removed. The PLCs might be the same but then upgraded so the BTTF profile probably wouldn't work. So no, there is no switch that can be used to turn it back to BTTF. Could it be done, yes... with some $$$ but we highly doubt that Universal Creative will do such a change. If anything, it will be another IP.

I do wonder what might happen to that spot in the future. If they took it down it would be really odd to not see the big theatre buildings when you come round the corner to go down to the LL.

I guess it's inevitable that it goes at some point - I'd say thats more likely than another rebrand of the existing ride system.

I do wonder what might happen to that spot in the future. If they took it down it would be really odd to not see the big theatre buildings when you come round the corner to go down to the LL.

I guess it's inevitable that it goes at some point - I'd say thats more likely than another rebrand of the existing ride system.

Very unlikely that this "building" will be removed. This is not just a building, its the entire walking space in front of it. You're actually standing on a cliff if it weren't for this attraction. Also, this space is very unique it would be very hard to use this space in any other fashion. So with that, this will probably be there for a very long time. The structural beams go down over 80 feet into the ground to support the walkway and attraction building. This is probably the safest building to be in during an earthquake. Remember, when all 24 vehicles are running at the same time it's like a 3.5 earthquake every 4 minutes. :p

When The Simpsons ride was built most of the BTTF stuff was removed. The PLCs might be the same but then upgraded so the BTTF profile probably wouldn't work. So no, there is no switch that can be used to turn it back to BTTF. Could it be done, yes... with some $$$ but we highly doubt that Universal Creative will do such a change. If anything, it will be another IP.
Thank you for the information. Was always secretly hoping they could somehow have the ride return for a special event. Sad that this is not the case.

It is a shame that the Bluray did not have better quality footage. Would love for this, Captain EO, and Star Tours to be on Bluray.

This is definitely true. It was found just as they were finalizing the design that the way that the building was going to be constructed (to withstand the forces and vibrations of the ride), the strain would be too much on the roof, and it was moved to the other side of the hill, where Battlestar Galactica used to be.

Not that that was a great decision either (the ride building had some...issues...staying on the hill, hence why it opened AFTER USF).

Never heard this before but it appears that BTTF was originally planned to go on top of the parking garage where Despicable Me / SLOP sits today. Anyone have any more info on this?!?

Not sure how far the plans ever progressed before they settled on the final location but the below shows their orifginal plans for the top of the Frankenstein parking garage:
LA Tour / Top Deck ExpansionUniversal City, CA | Ewing Architects
MCA_TOP-DECK-Site-Plan-.jpg

This is definitely true. It was found just as they were finalizing the design that the way that the building was going to be constructed (to withstand the forces and vibrations of the ride), the strain would be too much on the roof, and it was moved to the other side of the hill, where Battlestar Galactica used to be.

Not that that was a great decision either (the ride building had some...issues...staying on the hill, hence why it opened AFTER USF).

Storyboards and layout always come first, then the environmental impact studies. Correct, the ride would have really put this garage to shame. They really needed to build a whole new building as which they did as well as expand the park (walking path in front).

I know this fourm hasn't been active inva long time ago, but there's one question I've been wanting to ask: Why hasn't Marty McFly appear in the BTTF ride alongside with Doc Brown? I really can't find anything online why Michael J. Fox didn't appear in the ride to serve for an important story of the ride. It just felt weird to me.

I know this fourm hasn't been active inva long time ago, but there's one question I've been wanting to ask: Why hasn't Marty McFly appear in the BTTF ride alongside with Doc Brown? I really can't find anything online why Michael J. Fox didn't appear in the ride to serve for an important story of the ride. It just felt weird to me.

I think because we're supposed to be Marty. I think Marty's character would kind of get in the way if that makes any sense. Do I have an official reason, no. This never came up and not in any operational manual either. A great question though.

I think because we're supposed to be Marty. I think Marty's character would kind of get in the way if that makes any sense. Do I have an official reason, no. This never came up and not in any operational manual either. A great question though.

Uhhh no, it's quite clear the guests were riding on the Delorean were the tourists at Doc Brown's Institute, not Marty McFly.

I feel like I might have seen these posted before, but I love seeing anything BTTF related and It really is inredible where they built this in Hllywood. God I miss this ride.

Man, rewatching that queue video on here brought back so many memories!

Eh I enjoyed BTTF a lot more than the Simpsons Ride. Maybe once the contract expires, they can do a limited engagement bringing back the BBTF ride. I think people would really dig it. Would make for a great 2027 new attraction to have on the 20th anniversary of the ride's closure. One can dream.

Man, rewatching that queue video on here brought back so many memories!

Eh I enjoyed BTTF a lot more than the Simpsons Ride. Maybe once the contract expires, they can do a limited engagement bringing back the BBTF ride. I think people would really dig it. Would make for a great 2027 new attraction to have on the 20th anniversary of the ride's closure. One can dream.
That would be a fun tribute, but I don't think they will. After the Simpsons Ride goes the building will get torn. It would not make sense to put money to bring back BTTF if the building will be knocked down shortly after. But either way it's going to be the end of an era losing the building and the ride system in it. I also wonder what the future will bring for the ride that replaces the building. It will be interesting to see if it uses largely the same foot print or if they will try and expand over the hill for an ever larger type of ride.

That would be a fun tribute, but I don't think they will. After the Simpsons Ride goes the building will get torn. It would not make sense to put money to bring back BTTF if the building will be knocked down shortly after. But either way it's going to be the end of an era losing the building and the ride system in it. I also wonder what the future will bring for the ride that replaces the building. It will be interesting to see if it uses largely the same foot print or if they will try and expand over the hill for an ever larger type of ride.
Oh I definitely agree that whatever replaces the Simpsons Ride for the long term, the building is coming down. I'm just saying with USH having so much in the Pipeline (F&F, Bourne, DK, etc) plus the contract for Simpsons ending the same year as the LA Olympics starting, there's no way they're going to have a legitimate replacement for Simpsons open within five years. Unless Bourne is replacing the Simpsons. They want all the capacity they can get in this small park and I seriously doubt they want that area closed off for construction once the LA Olympics start.

You're probably right, they probably won't do this. Once that contract expires and the Olympics starts, they could however buy a little more time for a more substantial replacement if they pulled a Captain EO and said "Guess what's back for a limited time!" The biggest work would be reskinning the cars back to the DeLoreons. Other than that and replacing the Krusty Head with a new sign, everything else could just be a simple paint job while adding some posters or random props on hand in the preshow rooms (Which wouldn't need to be exactly how it was). While that would only take a few months, the queue TV and IMAX footage can be changed virtually overnight. Heck, they could probably get away with just keeping the building blue. Just repaint the beams and the front and you're gold.

Again, this is all an idea and they probably won't do this, but if they're crunched for time and a substantial replacement isn't an option before the Olympics, I think this could be totally doable placeholder ride for 2-3 years. I can't image this would cost a whole lot to convert it back and this would be extremely marketable. Think of how many folks in their mid-20's+ who would kill for at least one more ride and all of the youngins who never had the chance to ride and would love to experience it. 2027 would be a great year to do this since it would be right before the contract expires and it would be the 20th anniversary of the ride's closure.