Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Batgirl

Unpopular opinion, but I think Zaslav is on the right track here. The last regime at WB had a lot of projects in motion, and if the trades and test screenings are to be believed this movie was headed in the wrong direction. I heard the words "beyond salvageable" and things like it was too expensive for HBO Max but not not enough to make sense in theaters. If that is true, then it was the right to call to take the loss and move forward.

I think Zaslav's leadership is interesting so far but only time will tell if it's consistent.

Unpopular opinion, but I think Zaslav is on the right track here. The last regime at WB had a lot of projects in motion, and if the trades and test screenings are to be believed this movie was headed in the wrong direction. I heard the words "beyond salvageable" and things like it was too expensive for HBO Max but not not enough to make sense in theaters. If that is true, then it was the right to call to take the loss and move forward.

I think Zaslav's leadership is interesting so far but only time will tell if it's consistent.
I agree. The Matrix: Resurrections basically ruined The Matrix brand permanently (of course PREY is showing there's no such thing as permanently damaged in franchise filmmaking) for instance, and they were planning a new trilogy. Think about had Zaslav been around and found out that a franchise like The Matrix was about to spew out garage just because they spent money on the film. The point was made the other day that Zaslav likely would've scrapped that movie in the same way he's did to Batgirl. We all would've been better for it had that movie been scrapped because we never would've seen it.

Now one may say, well why isn't The Flash getting cancelled. Well, supposedly in test screenings, that movie is performing through the roof.

I agree. The Matrix: Resurrections basically ruined The Matrix brand permanently (of course PREY is showing there's no such thing as permanently damaged in franchise filmmaking) for instance, and they were planning a new trilogy. Think about had Zaslav been around and found out that a franchise like The Matrix was about to spew out garage just because they spent money on the film. The point was made the other day that Zaslav likely would've scrapped that movie in the same way he's did to Batgirl. We all would've been better for it had that movie been scrapped because we never would've seen it.

Now one may say, well why isn't The Flash getting cancelled. Well, supposedly in test screenings, that movie is performing through the roof.

Totally agree. I have heard the exact same things regarding The Flash.

And this is from Zaslav about the upcoming DCEU movies.

Zaslav, speaking to investors and reporters, rattled off a list of upcoming movies based on DC Comics characters, including "Black Adam," the sequel to "Shazam!" and "The Flash," starring Miller as the superhuman speedster Barry Allen.

"We're very excited about them," Zaslav said of the projects.

Zaslav went on to suggest that all three movies might be tweaked before they arrive in multiplexes. "We've seen them," he said. "We think they're terrific and we think we can make them even better."

Blue Beetle is the only one he didn't mention, however, that one got PROMOTED to be a theatrical release from an HBO Max original, which tells me that unlike Batgirl, they felt they could save that movie as the movie hadn't started filming yet until after Discover took over. Filming just wrapped on it two weeks ago.

However, after Blue Beetle, there's no more planned DCEU films in the pipeline. The only thing that will be left unless they actually announce something else (or if Wonder Woman 3 actually happens) is Peacemaker season 2.

That is exactly it, the movie was bad enough that Zaslav said they don't want to put movies out that harms the DC Brand or the specific Superhero or Heroes as has been done in the past so Batgirl got binned, literally.

to be fair, i read that Lana Wachowski tried to shelf and cancel the matrix 4 release, but the actors and crew convinced her to release it. but is weird because matrix 4 is basically written as a franchise killer. on purpose. its designed to destroy,

while batgirl sounds like is just awful lol, like birds of prey awful

I think they’re building fake hype and hysteria so when in 7-8 months when there’s nothing new for HBO Max it’ll go there for a little content bump.