Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Black Widow

Sounds like some are squarely blaming Chapeck for this blunder and further reports Feige's unhappiness over the matter. This seems like such a blunder already.

Finally got tickets to see the movie for tomorrow night. Hopefully it's more enjoyable than watching execs shoot themselves in the foot like this.

This has been pretty interesting to follow as a layman. I remember hearing rumblings around when the transition happened that Chapek and Iger were either not on great speaking terms, or at the very least not having the type of open dialogue they should be having. The Wrap just did an write up on it that sheds a lot of light into what may be going on behind the scenes. Back when Iger told the New York Times last year that he was stepping back in to help in a more active role during the height of the pandemic, that upset Chapek. The rift has been growing ever since then apparently.

For anyone in this thread interested, here is a link to that article since I don't think it's been shared here yet. Absolutely wild.

Zenia left right when they needed her most.

From what I've seen, she's there until January 1st. The Wrap is also reporting that she is the one who wrote that response from Disney about the lawsuit.

Last edited:
A few more developments from Variety about the ongoing lawsuit. Disney’s lawyer has come out claiming that this is an “orchestrated PR campaign” by Johansson’s team, and the SAG-AFTRA president has come out to back her.

Where is Alan Horn? Iger? Why does this seem to keep escalating on Disney’s end? Crazy.

A few more developments from Variety about the ongoing lawsuit. Disney’s lawyer has come out claiming that this is an “orchestrated PR campaign” by Johansson’s team, and the SAG-AFTRA president has come out to back her.

Where is Alan Horn? Iger? Why does this seem to keep escalating on Disney’s end? Crazy.
Iger has no control here, but a big report came out the other day that he’s embarrassed by the situation and supposedly him and Chapek don’t talk any longer.

I think the biggest mistake Iger made (besides making Chapek CEO), was not doing a proper transition, just basically picking Chapek and then getting out of dodge.

I feel it’s escalating cause they’re scared they’re going to lose, and now it’s so public, so they’re trying to spin their own narrative.

I see Chapek going all in here and if he loses he’s out or is officially on the hot seat with a short leash.

It’s sad this movie (which was solid! But should’ve came out earlier to fit in timeline) is being overshadowed by this silliness. Her suit definitely has merit and SAG giving a statement may be seen as a potential goal new thing to make sure it’s members are adequately compensated for as corporations focus on their streaming in the long term.

Iger is definitely out but it feels like Chapeck is in over his head.

I'm hoping Disney loses badly

They need to learn some humility. they have had amazing luck the past ten years everything has gone there way. The MCU is huge, even with fans not loving the sequels besides Solo they all made money, Disney Plus was a hit since day one, they put a meh Spiderman ride in a park and its doing very well and even in the Pandemic turned a profit and the stock did well.

But they are going to fight over a few million bucks, I hope they lose soooo much from this

Alan Horn was the cause of the James Gunn issue...and leaving allegedly

The fact that they don’t realize day and date drops hurt box office numbers is nuts. I get we’re in a pandemic and there are a lot of people that are not willing to go to theaters right now. But unfortunately releasing a digital version of movies in full hd the date theyre released just makes it easier for people to watch pirated versions of these movies illegally and in great quality from day 1. I unfortunately know too many people who have already seen it and didn’t pay a dime

bad source but maybe....they have broken some news and been accurate before but they have published fake stuff before too.
Lol

This better be fake, to cut all ties over a few million bucks. Going to really hurt Disney rep with lots of people

New Disney+ numbers for Black Widow were revealed thanks to the Johansson lawsuit:

Not bad at all (for overal numbers)

not as much for just Disney plus. It made money but not as much as theaters normally make on MCU films
Disney may want to slow down on this

Not bad at all (for overal numbers)

not as much for just Disney plus. It made money but not as much as theaters normally make on MCU films
Disney may want to slow down on this
The problem is that it's not like Scarlett is clean in all of this. Disney kinda has to fight at this point. She's asking for $50M on top of the $20M she already made upfront, which is absolutely ludicrous. She also supposedly wants to take this to a jury trial and tbh, i'm not sure she'd win. Disney has tied all their bows surrounding Scarlett (i.e. Emma Stone, Dwayne Johnson, Emily Blunt, etc all have been given payments to make up for Premiere Access releases) that they can use as evidence that they tried to make good on a bad situation. Force majeure clauses are in contracts for a reason.

New Disney+ numbers for Black Widow were revealed thanks to the Johansson lawsuit:

Really interested in where this sits from a profit point of view as we know Disney keep all $125m of D+ sales.
Maybe as profitable as a movie making $700m WW? and that's honestly all I was expecting from this.

Disney definitely look bad and keep making things worse everytime they say something, but I agree @Nick the money being talked about is ludicrous, weirdly I wouldn't mind so much if I had enjoyed the movie but it was 'meh'