Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Yes, that was such a waste that they wouldn't do the necessary maintenance on Darkkastle. I really enjoyed that early SpiderMan copy ride. The storyline was a bit confusing but the ride was still very much fun and entertaining.
Similar to Atlantis, it quickly went downhill after AB moved out

Ironically, BGW has had a good run of simulators/dark rides

On one hand, I’m a little skeptical that they’ll stay open through January, February, and March in 2021 like the tweet says and instead they’re hiring non-seasonal to start in March and then go through the winter in 2022.

On the other hand, BGT has thrown together a Mardi Gras event that I don’t remember that’ll run starting in mid-January, and BGW has waited until the last second to announce their next event, and their Christmas dates run through January 10th.... so BGW Mardi Gras starting the next weekend?

Hopefully they’ve figured out that locals will turn up for these half-park events all year and then tourists can fill it in the summer.

Similar to Atlantis, it quickly went downhill after AB moved out

Ironically, BGW has had a good run of simulators/dark rides
When BGW was run by Busch, they understood their tourist base better. This is an area that gets some of the largest tourism numbers in the country, and a pretty affluent one at that due to the historical nature of the tourist attractions (Williamsburg, both Jamestown attractions, Yorktown, Carter's Grove Plantation). But the tourist demographic is a tad older than some others. Thus, BGW used to cater to that demographic with lots of high quality live entertainment and the adjacent brewery complimentary beer . Their attendance was decent when they did that. But after they cut most entertainment, and quit maintaining attractions, their attendance dropped significantly . They had a few high quality coasters, but they weren't anywhere close to being a 'coaster park'. Now they've basically become a 'coaster park', with just about everything new a coaster, they lost their niche, and while coasters are fine for the younger demographic, they no longer have much to do for those throngs of tourists that attend the historical sites. Due to their location in this historical hotspot, they are in a different position than the Cedar Point/King's Island/King's Dominion/Six Flags of the world. They've really lost their way and need to return to that nice niche they had 12/13 plus years ago. I used to vacation there most every year and the numbers of middle aged and older guests was quite large. I no longer have any interest in going there since it's no longer a balanced theme park, albeit a beautiful one. It's really just become another Six Flags or Cedar Fair coaster oriented park.

so BGW Mardi Gras starting the next weekend?
giphy.gif

Edit, apparently I was off by a week.

Last edited:
This is 95 percent exciting and 5 percent slightly hillarious

Here's a video of Pantheon...um..."launching"

Hoping to see me testing soon

It looks great. Another must-do coaster opening this year to add to the list :lol:

Though, as fun as it's going to be, I hope the theming and landscaping will be on par with the rest of the park. It's truly one of the most beautiful parks I've been to, but it just feels like they've been moving away from that a bit, and focusing more on the coasters. Excited nonetheless, just curious how it will turn out.

Interesting-- it looks like Howl-O-Scream may become a separate ticket event this year, but included for those with "memberships":

I've had my Platinum Passport for 20+ years now (for $10 a month!), but it looks like they're doing more to make all of us passholders upgrade to the much more expensive memberships by including HOS and Christmas Town as only included for membership holders.

BGWFans suggesting the next coaster (300'+ shuttle launch) has been postponed and hints that Dark Kastle could be part of the 2023 plans now.

They mention a road trip (I assume to Florida) to offer a hint/preview so I assume it's either something being copied from another park, or since Sally is based here...