Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

California Great America

Six Flags Northern CA, coming soon
;)

We already do, it's called Six Flags Discovery Kingdom lol. And imo it's not as great as GA and it's a two-hour drive from where I live.

If Knott's wasn't Cedar Fair's most profitable park, I wouldn't fault them for wanting to up and leave that park as well. lol

If that were to happen, Disney could jump into the opportunity to purchase Knott's the 2nd time for their conversion of Disney's America lol.

Interesting-- I didn't realize that Gilroy Gardens was still being managed by CF until the end of last year (and apparently no one else did either).

I'm visiting Texas this year, and only recently realized Cedar Fair owns Schlitterbahn. Called to verify, but my Knott's Platinmum pass will be good there. Was also told that for if I get a $5 wristband and bring my mug, I can get refills all day. Though they do allow outside food and coolers, so we may just bring our own drinks

Went to the park yesterday

The good
price was fair for the amount of things to do
No lines for the first two hours of the park being opened
Mass effect New Earth (which is why I went) is a fun ride...but like it feels out of place, no shop or items for it and like if you have not played the video game no idea how you were suppose to know what was going on but fun ride that i hope is sold and put in vegas or somewhere
Patriot is a fun but short coaster
Gold Rusher the wooden coaster is fun but no clue why they have so many sharp turns, think if it was made into a steal coaster like twisted Colossus it could be like a 9/10 coaster.
The rapids ride is fun but literally like no theme not even like plastic animals
The water ride where you go up and then down is super fun and much better than the one that was at six flags...i almost came out of my seat when i put my hands up and had a great time on it
The ride that goes in a circle like the flash ride at six flags is also better and would love the flash to be that version of the ride over what he have now at six flags MM
The skybucket ride is fun and has some great views of the park
Next onto the water park
went on the three big slides as you enter the land behind the kitty area, all three were fun but think the Green tube one where you go down then up the watterslide then back downbacks wards was the most fun i had on a slide ride in a long time. The yellow tube ride was fun but nothing special and the blue ride where you all go in on this big raft is also super fun
Then went on the tube ride where you have grab a tube and "race" the other person. It was pretty fun
The Lazy river is cool because you get free tubes to sit on but the wave pool kinda sucks if your not a kid
The double carousel is cool and hope six flags MM buys it when the park is done, think it would be great at Six Flags MM
The swing ride is also cool and would not mind it at another park

The bad
The mass effect ride can be a little worst if the actor isnt into the role
fast lane makes afternoons in the parks worst then it needs to be
the food is meh, over priced and the food pass is 90 mins before the next meal so you have to stay most the day to make it worth it
some of the themes are weak...like cool they kinda try but new orleans is like half assed
The live shows are very meh and really not worth it
Directions and lay out of the park is to me bad, like no clue who designed the park but feels like they learned nothing from Walt Disney genius way of making theme parks

Overall the park to me is better then Six Flags MM but just not as good as knotts, like close but Knotts is still better. For the price if you want to go before its gone and can get out to it, I'd say go. Also if your really close and are a mass effect fan go on a cheap day and make sure you see it before its gone

Went to the park yesterday

The good
price was fair for the amount of things to do
No lines for the first two hours of the park being opened
Mass effect New Earth (which is why I went) is a fun ride...but like it feels out of place, no shop or items for it and like if you have not played the video game no idea how you were suppose to know what was going on but fun ride that i hope is sold and put in vegas or somewhere
Patriot is a fun but short coaster
Gold Rusher the wooden coaster is fun but no clue why they have so many sharp turns, think if it was made into a steal coaster like twisted Colossus it could be like a 9/10 coaster.
The rapids ride is fun but literally like no theme not even like plastic animals
The water ride where you go up and then down is super fun and much better than the one that was at six flags...i almost came out of my seat when i put my hands up and had a great time on it
The ride that goes in a circle like the flash ride at six flags is also better and would love the flash to be that version of the ride over what he have now at six flags MM
The skybucket ride is fun and has some great views of the park
Next onto the water park
went on the three big slides as you enter the land behind the kitty area, all three were fun but think the Green tube one where you go down then up the watterslide then back downbacks wards was the most fun i had on a slide ride in a long time. The yellow tube ride was fun but nothing special and the blue ride where you all go in on this big raft is also super fun
Then went on the tube ride where you have grab a tube and "race" the other person. It was pretty fun
The Lazy river is cool because you get free tubes to sit on but the wave pool kinda sucks if your not a kid
The double carousel is cool and hope six flags MM buys it when the park is done, think it would be great at Six Flags MM
The swing ride is also cool and would not mind it at another park

The bad
The mass effect ride can be a little worst if the actor isnt into the role
fast lane makes afternoons in the parks worst then it needs to be
the food is meh, over priced and the food pass is 90 mins before the next meal so you have to stay most the day to make it worth it
some of the themes are weak...like cool they kinda try but new orleans is like half assed
The live shows are very meh and really not worth it
Directions and lay out of the park is to me bad, like no clue who designed the park but feels like they learned nothing from Walt Disney genius way of making theme parks

Overall the park to me is better then Six Flags MM but just not as good as knotts, like close but Knotts is still better. For the price if you want to go before its gone and can get out to it, I'd say go. Also if your really close and are a mass effect fan go on a cheap day and make sure you see it before its gone

Railblazer didn't make your good list?!

Railblazer didn't make your good list?!
Was with friends
Looked fun but not waiting 60 mins for any coasters at this point

Also didn’t get to go on grizzly, the mouse coaster and demon because of lines

The longest we waited was maybe 15 mins

It's Goldstriker, not Goldrusher. And they were sort of trying to make a twisted wooden layout. Historically, many wood coasters used to be pretty twisted ages ago, look at Mr. Twister at Elich Gardens back in 1965 or the Crystal Beach Cyclone in 1926, which is legendary for essentially having no straight track at all.

I'm guessing the ride that "goes in a circle like Flash" is the Beserker, aka Bayern Kurve. It's only one of two left in the USA--the other being at Knobels, and is frankly run much, much better (and faster) out there. That said, I'd even take that slower version of the ride just for preservation purposes. It's one of the rides I'm really worried about their fate with the possible closing of the park. The others are the Centerfuge (aka Calypso) and Orbiter (Enterprise), all of which are flat rides that are becoming increasingly rare.

As for rapids rides, you'd actually be surprised that in most of the rest of the country, I'd only say maybe 1/2 have any theming at all, and even the few that do have theming are generally fairly sparse. That's not unusual. Same goes for water flume rides... most are just a trough stilling on supports, not much different than a carnival flume ride. We just happen to be lucky in SoCal to have amazingly themed flume and water rides, but it's really not like that at most parks. I know, I've been to nearly every major park in the country.

While CGA isn't necessarily my favorite park, one thing I do love about it is their landscaping. There's some beautiful greenery around the park if you really look around. That plant tunnel path is the sort of thing you don't see anymore, and speaks to the longevity of the park.

But on the whole, I wouldn't call CGA a theme park. It's more of an amusement park with some theming here and there.

It's Goldstriker, not Goldrusher. And they were sort of trying to make a twisted wooden layout. Historically, many wood coasters used to be pretty twisted ages ago, look at Mr. Twister at Elich Gardens back in 1965 or the Crystal Beach Cyclone in 1926, which is legendary for essentially having no straight track at all.

I'm guessing the ride that "goes in a circle like Flash" is the Beserker, aka Bayern Kurve. It's only one of two left in the USA--the other being at Knobels, and is frankly run much, much better (and faster) out there. That said, I'd even take that slower version of the ride just for preservation purposes. It's one of the rides I'm really worried about their fate with the possible closing of the park. The others are the Centerfuge (aka Calypso) and Orbiter (Enterprise), all of which are flat rides that are becoming increasingly rare.

As for rapids rides, you'd actually be surprised that in most of the rest of the country, I'd only say maybe 1/2 have any theming at all, and even the few that do have theming are generally fairly sparse. That's not unusual. Same goes for water flume rides... most are just a trough stilling on supports, not much different than a carnival flume ride. We just happen to be lucky in SoCal to have amazingly themed flume and water rides, but it's really not like that at most parks. I know, I've been to nearly every major park in the country.

While CGA isn't necessarily my favorite park, one thing I do love about it is their landscaping. There's some beautiful greenery around the park if you really look around. That plant tunnel path is the sort of thing you don't see anymore, and speaks to the longevity of the park.

But on the whole, I wouldn't call CGA a theme park. It's more of an amusement park with some theming here and there.
I sure but it tries to have lands, like im not crapping on it. For sure its better than six Flags and for its price on cheap days its a wonderful value but I also see part of the reason it was so empty.

I'm spoiled by Grizzly at DCA but even then i still want "more" Theming on that ride as well

For these Rapids, even just a "fake" broken dam and a beaver next to it at the end waterfall would be cute and doubt would cost much.

Anyway its a solid park, with some good flat rides that I hope move to other parks the Great Pumpkin ride would be great at Knotts.

Was with friends
Looked fun but not waiting 60 mins for any coasters at this point

Also didn’t get to go on grizzly, the mouse coaster and demon because of lines

The longest we waited was maybe 15 mins

It’s rly worth an hour it’s so good you would’ve loved it i think. back row on that thing is one of my favorite ride experiences.