Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Cedar Point

Fun story about mean streak. Back when I briefly worked there as I expect they still have there were after hours ride nights where one ride was open for an hour or two exclusively for employees.. Mean streak had one which you might assume hardly anyone showed up for. The employees dressed up fittingly as chiropractors.

I rode with a guy addicted to coasters who was a ride op people we referred to as Mc'lovin. This was around Superbad coming out, looked just like the movie guy. Anyways apparently the ride ops can trick mean streak, being an older coaster, to run without the trims by stopping the coaster with the breaks halfway outside of the station as far as I can recall. This apparently lets the coaster hit 70+ mph making it pretty much the fastest wooden roller coaster in the world. It was raining to add and we were the only ones on board in the front row. We always rode with the belts as loose as possible in the front leaning forward as much as possible to make it bearable but still terrible. Easily the scariest ride at cedar point that night maybe ever. I'm happy I was young enough to take that kind of punishment.

Really great memory to have done that, but it was more about the challenge of bearing a bad ride than the thrill of a great ride. I can't wait till they tear that POS down.

Yes, you just brought a ton of Cedar Point memories back with those rides...And, yes, I loved the King's Island Safari monorail. If I recall correctly, it was longer than the one at Animal Kingdom. I absolutely loved King's Island when they did the original renovation. The grand entrance way with the themed shops from Europe, the long water feature and fountains in the middle of the street, and the Eiffel Tower at the end, ala Disney's WDW castle. It was beautiful & breath taking. And I believe they had 5 or 6 fully themed lands like Disney, with shops, stores, attractions and lot's of entertainment. And like Cedar Point, only a few coasters at the beginning of the redo, though one of them was the fantastic Beast, probably the longest wooden coaster in existence at the time. Loved having a beer & meal in the Bier Garden in the Bavarian themed area. In the 80's, King's Island was my second favorite park, only surpassed by Busch Gardens Williamsburg,(the Old Country), which was in it's heyday then.Today's BGW is only a shadow of the park that it was.

On the subject of Kings Island, I thoroughly enjoyed my visit there in 2013. The entrance plaza was one area I really liked since it reminded me of Port of Entry in a way. Obviously Cedar Point wins in the coaster category, but I felt Kings Island had the better "amusement park" feel to it. Growing up with the Orlando parks it was really nice to experience a traditional American amusement park.

There are plenty of hotels around the area that are close by and much cheaper, not worth it to stay on site.

I'm planning a trip there next year and from what I can see no hotels by the peninsula area have direct shuttles to CP. I assume the only way is to take a cab/Uber/rental car?

I'm planning a trip there next year and from what I can see no hotels by the peninsula area have direct shuttles to CP. I assume the only way is to take a cab/Uber/rental car?

Yes. The peninsula is overrated, it's an easy and quick drive to the main gate to anywhere nearby. Of course I drive over and hour to the park every visit so anything less than that is quick!

which makes me curious if Mystic Timbers and its shed mystery is supposed to be the thing that helps it attract crowds alongside the predictable mass chaos that would come with a ginormous RMC that a Mean Streak retrofit would be.

Considering the layout of MT is really just a larger version of WoF's Prowler, the mystery element/show scene/gimmick in the shed is definitely the main selling point. Even though it could easily turn into a Adventure Express 2.0 with it being at the very end of the coaster.

The question is though, topper track, or I-Beam?

It depends, if they're doing a retrofit it's going to be the I-Box track. If they're tearing it down completely and building a new woodie from scratch, it'll be Topper Track.

Considering the layout of MT is really just a larger version of WoF's Prowler, the mystery element/show scene/gimmick in the shed is definitely the main selling point. Even though it could easily turn into a Adventure Express 2.0 with it being at the very end of the coaster.

It depends, if they're doing a retrofit it's going to be the I-Box track. If they're tearing it down completely and building a new woodie from scratch, it'll be Topper Track.

First time on Adventure Express when it first opened, crested the second lift hill and was like, "Uh, what? Did I fall asleep and miss something?" Maybe the most anticlimactic feature on any rollercoaster.

Given that this is Cedar Point, I would expect the I-Box track with some inversions. However, it is just too early to tell. Also, I didn't hear them mention if they would have the replacement ready to go for 2017. Precious few details have been provided.

There hasn't been any confirmation of RMC taking this project, or did I miss something? Screamscape was reporting "RMC" stakes being spotted at the site, but Cedar Fair has played that game before in multiple parks.

Mean Streak was right up there with Son of Beast and Ninja (SFOG) as most painful coaster I've been on. I'm hoping for something completely new and not just an RMC conversion. Say what you want about how good Twisted Colossus is, but to me it's just...ugly.

There hasn't been any confirmation of RMC taking this project, or did I miss something? Screamscape was reporting "RMC" stakes being spotted at the site, but Cedar Fair has played that game before in multiple parks.

Mean Streak was right up there with Son of Beast and Ninja (SFOG) as most painful coaster I've been on. I'm hoping for something completely new and not just an RMC conversion. Say what you want about how good Twisted Colossus is, but to me it's just...ugly.

Yeah nothing connecting it, I guess people just expect RMC to do SOMETHING at Cedar Point.

The description almost sounds like a tear down/rebuild with no company named. Detroit Free Press had a quote where Cedar Point rep's stated that it was being removed so that they could work with the Frontierland theme. I would hope that it is a new build with a different course.

The description almost sounds like a tear down/rebuild with no company named. Detroit Free Press had a quote where Cedar Point rep's stated that it was being removed so that they could work with the Frontierland theme. I would hope that it is a new build with a different course.
That's the nicest theme area in the park. That would be cool if they expanded the theme.

I've received confirmation it's RMC and another odd piece of info...

I've received confirmation it's RMC and another odd piece of info...

This is a terrible tease. You can't throw out "odd piece of info" without backing it up. It isn't right. In fact, it might be out and out rude. Man. I'm sure that it's just "protecting my source" but I'm calling a foul on you. "I've got information but I'm going to lord it over those of you who don't know."

Well, I won't be sucked into that minefield.

Could you tell us anyway? Maybe just like whisper it. Write it down and have someone else type it out. C'mon man!!! Throw us a bone. :angry:

This is a terrible tease. You can't throw out "odd piece of info" without backing it up. It isn't right. In fact, it might be out and out rude. Man. I'm sure that it's just "protecting my source" but I'm calling a foul on you. "I've got information but I'm going to lord it over those of you who don't know."

Could you tell us anyway? Maybe just like whisper it. Write it down and have someone else type it out. C'mon man!!! Throw us a bone. :angry:

He already did, and you are complaining as you hope to have another..

in all seriousness; I think we're going to wait a year on this if you ask me. I think 2018 would be the better time in my opinion; but that is just me. Maybe they can announce it as apart of revitalizing Frontiertown; but that's just me.

Lol. Ok fine.

Lol. Ok fine.

I wonder if it is RMC; are they going to be treating it much like how The New Texas Giant was treated? If I recall; they made an announcement for it I think a year and a half before it opened, but I could be wrong about that.

But in any case, seems like I made the right call in guessing 2018; as I can't find any way they have the ability to have an RMCed Mean Streak ready by Summer of 2017.

He already did, and you are complaining as you hope to have another..

in all seriousness; I think we're going to wait a year on this if you ask me. I think 2018 would be the better time in my opinion; but that is just me. Maybe they can announce it as apart of revitalizing Frontiertown; but that's just me.

This is what I am hoping for. A Frontierland makeover would go well. An RMC coaster mixed with maybe a flat or dark ride. Cedar Fair has put in a few shooting dark rides in other parks. This could go well in a park with such a coaster-focused attraction list.

Based on the modern era history, cedar point announces things about a year in advance give or take. I would not expect this to change. Weather we get a dark ride or update to the area or a rebuild, something will happen next year. We just need to see what they announce officially.

That being said, I would not be surprised that given the land constraints cedar point is starting to run into that we might see a dark ride and mean streak tear down while they work on the new coaster.