Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Changes To Fastpass+?

So there would be no version of the Express-type pass that you can buy for the whole day and use whenever you want?

That's the way I'm reading it. I also took his statements as the free option being the base tier. Speculating the other two tiers offer X amount of passes per day and an unlimited version in a MaxPass vein.

Martin dropped a couple more hints: no "anytime" passes, and three tiers, possibly with a limited fourth free tier. Which just sounds like needlessly complicating what should be a simple system.
They just can't do anything without tiers can they

Again...Universal Express...just do that lol

Chapek is going to kill Disney. Just give us what we want. Every park has Express, fast lane, quick queue, flash pass etc. it works for those who want to pay and they can cap it so it doesn’t kill standby. I understand virtual queue is the future and can beneficial for the guests if done right but until that happens just sell an express option and call it a day.

In a way they do have tiers though. One pass you can use only once per ride. Another pass you can use unlimited amount of times per ride.

I'm not sure what Disney's tiered system would be though.

In a way they do have tiers though. One pass you can use only once per ride. Another pass you can use unlimited amount of times per ride.

I'm guessing the tiers would limit the amount of attractions you're able to use it at

Gah, can you imagine spending $150 a day for a family of four to skip the lines?! Woof

Gah, can you imagine spending $150 a day for a family of four to skip the lines?! Woof

Like walking into the UOR parks and seeing families lined up at the Express Pass booths. Holy crap people! Get a room at RPR and, even if you never set foot in it, save a few hundred bucks!

For Uni that setup is nice and simple, but as for Disney...

Martin dropped a couple more hints: no "anytime" passes, and three tiers, possibly with a limited fourth free tier. Which just sounds like needlessly complicating what should be a simple system.

So at least three tiers, maybe four. With none of them being the kind where you can show up to the FP line whenever you want, once again they're really stuck in wanting people to plan out every single aspect of their trip, even though that feels counter-intuitive to getting food or merch which they keep bending over backwards to try and get people to do.

The non hardcore fanboy Disney guest took years to figure out the intricacies of planning every nook and cranny of their Disney vacation. Now, between park reservations and VQ and
fastpass modifications they'll have to start all over again. And confusion will reign.

So every stand by line will be 2 hours long

Oh my god, this again?

Here's my FP thesis and dissertation again. Here we go!

The conclusion first: FP, MaxPass, and Express Pass work. Because there is a barrier to entry. I bolded that because it is important.

The barrier to entry reduces the number of people who have this "privilege", and, in effect reduces standby times. Things get hairy when every single person gets multiple reminders from Disney to make their FP+ reservations. As if this is some sort of "perk" for even buying tickets! Now, every single person has made three slots in lines for attractions they don't even know about! This is why HM and SSE (huge crowd eaters) have lines now! Billy Joe saw the reminder and clicked the thing!

Now, everyone is in four lines at the same time.

FP made you plan and run around. EP makes you spend a bit more. With FP+ there are now 30,000 people, who did not know what they are doing, clicking FP+ revs. Add that to the 3:1 ratio CMs are told to enforce! Long standby lines, which we really haven't seen before. Because FP an EP have/had a barrier to entry.

It may be unfair to some, but these "tricks" simply do not work unless you limit the number of people who can use them. Tom Staggs got fired for this.

But that’s the point of private tours! If people use that $12k for that, why hurt that revenue line?
Universal does a ton of private tours and still offers a no limits, full day express pass for a price that's about right imo considering what you are getting. The types of people who want to do private tours, they aren't even thinking about an express pass or anything like that. They just want to be brought in the back door of every attraction and get every ride done at all parks done in about 8 hours or less. That's not even close to what we're talking about with this supposed "Lightning Pass".

Yeah, I don't know about this. An express type option could work, but the virtual queues and continuously pricing people out is something I cannot stand behind. We already pay so much for a vacation, and it is getting ridiculous. We have half the perks we used to get.

I'm guessing the tiers would limit the amount of attractions you're able to use it at

The example floated was "The Mountains" or "Fantasyland Dark Rides." I assume just illustrative, but yeah, maybe three headliners in a tier? Again, needlessly complicated for the casual guest, who this is clearly aimed at.

The biggest mistake that Disney executives are making behind these decisions is that they are totally convinced that Covid has “shown” them people will be more-than-willing to pay more for less. What they fail to understand is that people went because they were happy to experience any entertainment outside of their homes despite the restrictions everywhere. Nobody expected Fastpass+ or theatrical entertainment to just go away forever.

Now that Covid is finally fading off in the sunset (I mean restrictions are lifting) customers, including myself, are not going to be happy to hear that the pandemic has given them an excuse to add more hoops and up charges to their experience. If I have to pay $150 for a “Lightning Pass” (With tiers mind you. I hate that T-word), AND I had to enter more virtual squirrel lotteries just to go on classic rides, that would never make me want to come back ever again.

I swear Chapek must be on a mission to intentionally burn Disney to the ground. Their arrogance and greed just turns me off more and more as time goes by. And they wonder why there’s such a hostile perception of them nowadays.

It's an interesting decision for them to make; if they introduce a new paid Fastpass system they introduce new revenue but will people still book Disney hotels with no more free Fastpass? Is All-Stars/Pop Century really worth $200 a night just because you get access to the skyliner?