Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Classic Universal Studios Hollywood

Rideguy70

VIP Member
Feb 17, 2016
Los Angeles
So I didn't really know where to post this, but I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone by creating a thread for anyone who has classic USH pics.

In any case, I was watching the recent Expedition Everest video (a great YouTube channel that documents many attractions, many defunct--most in Florida or England, this is one of his few West Coast vids). In some of the archival footage he found of the park was this, which I managed to screen shot.

While I obviously recognize the sign, I honestly have no idea what that stadium is in the background. Does anyone know more about it?

Attachments

• oldush.jpg
    oldush.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 64
So I didn't really know where to post this, but I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone by creating a thread for anyone who has classic USH pics.

In any case, I was watching the recent Expedition Everest video (a great YouTube channel that documents many attractions, many defunct--most in Florida or England, this is one of his few West Coast vids). In some of the archival footage he found of the park was this, which I managed to screen shot.

While I obviously recognize the sign, I honestly have no idea what that stadium is in the background. Does anyone know more about it?

That was the old "An American Tale" arena before it was demolished to make way for T2:3D.

Really, that was over there? Had it always been there? What was there before it?

Before they built the parking structure there (which is what that area is built on top of), there was a parking lot down the hill with a funicular that took you to the top of the hill and into the Victoria Station Restaurant. Victoria Station was an excellent train themed restaurant chain with prime rib and a cool salad bar (which was a new idea at the time). You ate in old railroad cars parked at Victoria Station and the USH location was probably their largest one. It later became a MarvelMania restaurant after they built the parking garage and then part of it was used for the House of Horrors Maze.

Before they built the parking structure there (which is what that area is built on top of), there was a parking lot down the hill with a funicular that took you to the top of the hill and into the Victoria Station Restaurant. Victoria Station was an excellent train themed restaurant chain with prime rib and a cool salad bar (which was a new idea at the time). You ate in old railroad cars parked at Victoria Station and the USH location was probably their largest one. It later became a MarvelMania restaurant after they built the parking garage and then part of it was used for the House of Horrors Maze.
What’s Marvel Mania? :)

I do remember Marvel Mania (I even had a birthday dinner there!) and I have vague memories of Victoria Station. Like I knew it was there, but I was a child at the time. I didn't know it used to have a funicular to it, though!

I do remember Marvel Mania (I even had a birthday dinner there!) and I have vague memories of Victoria Station. Like I knew it was there, but I was a child at the time. I didn't know it used to have a funicular to it, though!

It was small, held about 10 people and took you right to the lobby of the restaurant.
16d8f562c2f10867e2a0f709e41796bc.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited: