Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Coco Ride Coming to Mexico Pavilion?

been hearing that it isn't doing as well as Disney would like.Maybe if they took out the 30 min frozen commercial before the movie more people would see it.

Maybe some of their loftier goals. But it earned more than every other Pixar movie in China, combined. I'm very sure their estimates did not include Jumanji being the smashing success it was, and probably expected some of that business.

They took out the Frozen short film a week before The Last Jedi released.

The movie is doing fine, it’s more that it’s not moving merch, which is a worry when thinking about converting this attraction.
Merchandise sales potential is probably more important to Disney plans than plus or minus a $100 million or so at the box office.

It is strange that apparently the merch isn't selling well as I thought it looked great when seeing it. I think when it comes to WDW merch sales there's a lot of tourists and the film still hasn't been released in some countries yet. UK release is this coming Friday, I think it could be similar for other European countries (not sure) but I can imagine, like me, people won't buy merchandise for a film they haven't seen yet (in case it sucks). The frozen short did annoy a bunch of people though so it is good that they removed it. I think the staggered release method doesn't always help when trying to gauge how a movie has been received. The stat about China is huge for Disney. It baffles me Shanghai haven't made plans for Zootopia yet in the park considering it was such a huge success there.

Last edited:
Domestically, it's ending up where I expected it to. This was never going to be a 250M+ hit in the states. The worldwide numbers are nothing short of fantastic, and it could hit 700M.

Just a thought on merch--sugar skulls would probably have sold a lot better in September-October than after November 1 (which is when I saw the first push).

sad that merchandise sales play such a huge role on whether an attraction is added these days. The movie is still in theaters, my daughter saw it last night, and loved it. Not sure if she would ask for a toy though..

sad that merchandise sales play such a huge role on whether an attraction is added these days. The movie is still in theaters, my daughter saw it last night, and loved it. Not sure if she would ask for a toy though..
It is, but it makes sense with the direction they've been going when you think about it. They've been pushing IP very heavily of late and what's the reason you add an IP to any park or ride? To hopefully sell merchandise. Otherwise, investing in the ride isn't the best business decision. It's the reason Imagination likely won't be touched for years still... Figment merch sells incredibly well, despite the lackluster ride.

This is not to say that a Coco overlay is not coming to Three Caballeros still, but Martin has mentioned that where he once thought it seemed like a done deal, they now seem to be negotiating the budget for the redo again. The budget was supposed to be ~$75M (Same as Frozen got which also included the Meet and Greet area).

Since entrance fees are so high they need to get more out of each guest that comes through...And no smart business would ever say "no" to money...At least not in Orlando..

Since entrance fees are so high they need to get more out of each guest that comes through
That's actually pretty much spot on.

Pretty much all Disney Parks around the world were down last year in attendance (all stateside parks were down), but since the price of admission is higher and Disney is offering a lot of upcharge experiences and now paid Fastpasses, attendance dowsn't matter as much as getting money out of the guests in the park does.

That's actually pretty much spot on.

Pretty much all Disney Parks around the world were down last year in attendance (all stateside parks were down), but since the price of admission is higher and Disney is offering a lot of upcharge experiences and now paid Fastpasses, attendance dowsn't matter as much as getting money out of the guests in the park does.
Yep. Attendance is important, but Spending per Guest/Total Revenue is more important. And that's where on site hotels , upcharge events, restaurants and stores really come into play big time.

speaking of restaurants and stores really come into play big time.Any one else feel like the price of food is about to rise again across universal and disney.

Coco Mexico overlay concept supposedly back from the dead:

If any ride should come back from the dead it is Coco.
coco-1_igrande.jpg

The biggest issue here, as we discussed earlier, is ride capacity and queue management.
They have no room in that pavilion for the queue for the current incarnation of that ride, let alone the Frozen+ size crowds I would expect for Coco.
If they do this, I think they need to consider revamping the inside of the pavilion and maybe an outdoor or annexed queue solution.