Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Coco Ride Coming to Mexico Pavilion?

Obviously take this with a large grain of salt but Jim Hill is suggesting that the next ride in EPCOT with be in Mexico based on Pixar's upcoming film: Coco top open late 2017.

Episode 105: The history of Fort Wilderness from The Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish with Jim Hill on podbay

Skip to 14mins.

Coco (2017 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Judging by the time frame this would be an(other) overlay of Gran Fiesta. They would have to start soon to have this in 2017. Gran Fiesta was better than the old version. If this is better than Fiesta then go for it.

Conversation heard Inside a Disney Imagineering meeting. : What are you doing?... I don't know, what do you want to do?... It's really boring around here now that Iger cut all of our budgets....Want to have some fun?...OK....Well, let's float some BS rumor to that guy Jim Hill that will print anything he hears from anyone?...Heh, sounds cool. I'll give him an anonymous call now about a new Epcot attraction, and I'll tell him it'll get completed as fast as Transformers...No one will believe that...Jim Hill will :lol:

I think this movie will be a massive hit. Mexican culture is an important part of the fabric of the US... and the Day of the Dead is just plain awesome.

Didn't one of the stands just close down in the Mexico Pavillion? Would it go there or would it replace the Three Caballeros ride?

I'll repeat what i usually say about Mr. Hill whenever he is brought up as a source of a rumor, despite how angry it makes the parties involved.

Once upon a time I'm reading through a section of the Unofficial Guide to check it for accuracy in price,s offerings, etc.. for an updated edition. I come across a Jim Hill segment discussing a "rumor" or "insider tip" or whatever. I don't even remember what it was specifically about - but I emailed Len Testa being like "Hey, this Jim Hill tidbit isn't true at all. We need to put something else there or fix it or something."

The response I get is that the Jim Hill's segments are included for entertainment purposes and not supposed to be considered part of the factual information provided by the Guide. This trouble me, and I'm told to think of it like "color commentary."

He has also taken things I wrote to him to try and explain how things actually work, versus whatever theory he posted, and reframed them in a terrible narrative device where my notes to him are now a fully fleshed out "letter" but rewritten in a ridiculous character - and skewed to support whatever view he originally held before I tried to send him updated information.

I take great offense to being portrayed as a Big Thunder Mountain Railroad prospector in my written "voice" to this day.

So.. it's Jim Hill.

Screw him.

I'll repeat what i usually say about Mr. Hill whenever he is brought up as a source of a rumor, despite how angry it makes the parties involved.

Once upon a time I'm reading through a section of the Unofficial Guide to check it for accuracy in price,s offerings, etc.. for an updated edition. I come across a Jim Hill segment discussing a "rumor" or "insider tip" or whatever. I don't even remember what it was specifically about - but I emailed Len Testa being like "Hey, this Jim Hill tidbit isn't true at all. We need to put something else there or fix it or something."

The response I get is that the Jim Hill's segments are included for entertainment purposes and not supposed to be considered part of the factual information provided by the Guide. This trouble me, and I'm told to think of it like "color commentary."

He has also taken things I wrote to him to try and explain how things actually work, versus whatever theory he posted, and reframed them in a terrible narrative device where my notes to him are now a fully fleshed out "letter" but rewritten in a ridiculous character - and skewed to support whatever view he originally held before I tried to send him updated information.

I take great offense to being portrayed as a Big Thunder Mountain Railroad prospector in my written "voice" to this day.

So.. it's Jim Hill.

Screw him.

Jim Hill is like an Urban Legend to me. I've heard so much about him, but I've never read or listened to anything he's published. Sometimes I think the theme park speculation market is too saturated. All I need is Teebs.

So.. it's Jim Hill.

Screw him.
I double like that post. :thumbsup::thumbsup:I share that opinion.

Jim Hill is like an Urban Legend to me. I've heard so much about him, but I've never read or listened to anything he's published. Sometimes I think the theme park speculation market is too saturated. All I need is Teebs.
There's no other Insider that can come close to Teebs for accuracy. Most Insiders, if they are even close to correct, will only give a few sentences, or perhaps a paragraph, giving out their information. And then they draw that piece of info out & milk it for a good while. Teebs, in contrast, will not only give us a general overview of the info. He will also give us detail, after detail, after detail, precisely and technically, over months and months until the project is completed. Generally the only time Teebs is a bit off is when Universal makes project changes mid stream. we're very fortunate to have him as the major Insider on OU. He gives us many a discussion topic.

I think this movie will be a massive hit. Mexican culture is an important part of the fabric of the US... and the Day of the Dead is just plain awesome.

Wasn't The Book of Life based on similar subject matter? I don't think that was much of a hit.

But I do see Disney doing this since it's another overlay, cheaper, easier, obvious, etc.

This seems like a bad idea.

Gran Fiesta Tour works perfectly as a light-hearted, kid-friendly C-ticket. If Coco does $250 million+ DOM and becomes popular in terms of merch, an overlay could cause 45-75 minute waits for an attraction which caps off its queue at 20 minutes (or so). It hardly ever goes past 5 minutes waits due to its odd location. Would the Mexico pavilion be able to handle all of the Coco fans charging in?

Unless TDO builds it in the remaining expansion pad between Norway and Mexico, I don't see how a Coco overlay would work out at all.

Plus, there're better ways to fix up World Showcase:
  • Ratatouille dark ride in France (storyline altered to include some edutainment about Paris/France)
  • Rhine River Cruise in Germany
  • Mary Poppins dark ride in the UK
  • Updates to all three Circlevision films
  • American Adventure updates for ending montage
  • Mt. Fuji E-ticket in Japan
  • Any sort of attraction for Italy (gondolas, etc)
  • Mulan or Chinese New Year dark ride in China
  • new countries (Greece, Egypt, Switzerland, Brazil, India - some different regions/cultures)
2 new attractions (Ratatouille and Mt. Fuji), 1 new country (any of the above) and updates to the current attractions (Circlevision primarily, but more Three Caballeros AAs would be welcome in Mexico) would be far better for World Showcase than shutting down Gran Fiesta Tour for a few months and reopening it (same capacity/queue) with a more popular IP and further congesting that whole side of Epcot (GotG/M:S/Test Track/Frozen/Coco/closed Odyssey=:look:).

Increasing capacity in WS and plussing the attractions from Japan-Canada just makes sense until Imagination/WoL/Energy/Seas are fixed up.