Comcast to potentially buy part of Warner/Discovery in future | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Comcast to potentially buy part of Warner/Discovery in future

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So I'm going to bring this up given Zaslav's choices, I have to wonder if he's intentionally priming for a group like Comcast to buy WBP (Or atleast, portions of WBP, including but not limited too New Line, DC, Looney Tunes, and WBG).

Considering the baffling choices he just made for WBP/HBOMax, I'm now curious.

I realistically don’t see that happening/I don’t know how the cancellation of Batgirl points to it. I am confused by the refusal to put the movie somewhere online, but this may need time for everything to be fully revealed.

Things we “think” we know:
1. Batgirl screened. People were confused by Keaton’ appearance because of the lack of Flash’s explanation.
2. That Affleck rumor about Aquaman may have come as a solution from the Batgirl screening. Keaton was supposed to appear in that as a cameo. Affleck may be replacing him as Bruce/Bats.
3. We’ve heard Cavil/Affleck rumors back to back reported by Deadline.
4. Batgirl was designed for HBO Max. Zaz shuffled to theaters.

I can’t decide if this means Snyderverse is fully dead orrrr being resurrected and these loose associations aren’t where they want to focus/go before the big three are reestablished. Either way this is brutal for the cast and crew.

I realistically don’t see that happening/I don’t know how the cancellation of Batgirl points to it. I am confused by the refusal to put the movie somewhere online, but this may need time for everything to be fully revealed.

Things we “think” we know:
1. Batgirl screened. People were confused by Keaton’ appearance because of the lack of Flash’s explanation.
2. That Affleck rumor about Aquaman may have come as a solution from the Batgirl screening. Keaton was supposed to appear in that as a cameo. Affleck may be replacing him as Bruce/Bats.
3. We’ve heard Cavil/Affleck rumors back to back reported by Deadline.
4. Batgirl was designed for HBO Max. Zaz shuffled to theaters.

I can’t decide if this means Snyderverse is fully dead orrrr being resurrected and these loose associations aren’t where they want to focus/go before the big three are reestablished. Either way this is brutal for the cast and crew.

It's not just Batgirl that got affected though, a Scoob prequel that was aiming for HBOMax at 40 Million has been scrapped too.

Additionally (And while I hate using her as reference), Grace Randolph has been hearing that HBOMax is going to be folded on Thursday as part of Warner's company conference.

It's not just Batgirl that got affected though, a Scoob prequel that was aiming for HBOMax at 40 Million has been scrapped too.

Additionally (And while I hate using her as reference), Grace Randolph has been hearing that HBOMax is going to be folded on Thursday as part of Warner's company conference.

I guess I’m having trouble seeing the issues here. @Nick and I had a debate about this months back. I don’t think either of us predicted they’d fold the services so quickly (and I was even bullish in my expectations.) But this is a merger. Things were going to get messy/consolidated before they got better. We are talking about a massive media empire. I like this tweet, tone is a bit off, but this is how I see decisions like this.

Edit: But back to the main point cause we could bring this back to the other thread. @AlexanderMBush what’s giving you vibes that this is a spin-off move? Because of it’s surprise nature or something else?

Last edited:
Edit: But back to the main point cause we could bring this back to the other thread. @AlexanderMBush what’s giving you vibes that this is a spin-off move? Because of it’s surprise nature or something else?

In the terms of Comic book films, this is an unprecedented case to where combined with a 40 million dollar animated film that has been in production for a while too; that they'd be wanting and willing to cut their losses on a project that is close to 90 million dollars in it's budget. We're talking about a 130-140 million dollar loss for projects that will never see the light of day due to "Write-downs".

It also sets a further precedent that filmmakers and creative talents shouldn't be wanting to invest in WBD, because if this is what can happen to a mid-level budget project; what can happen to small scale projects or even large scales?

So I'm going to bring this up given Zaslav's choices, I have to wonder if he's intentionally priming for a group like Comcast to buy WBP (Or atleast, portions of WBP, including but not limited too New Line, DC, Looney Tunes, and WBG).

Considering the baffling choices he just made for WBP/HBOMax, I'm now curious.
Zaslav has said he sees DC as the most valuable part of WBD and is still largely untapped. He's also said he sees great value in WBP and HBO Max, however, things weren't being run how he wanted there when he took over so lots of changes have happened. Batgirl is a good example. It was designed as a Max original on a Max budget, but meant to be in the DCEU. Reports are the film sucks so they are just shelving the film to save the brand of the character.

You have to understand that with big mergers (and a company like WB that was an insane mess when Zaslav took it over), the company is going to go through some growing pains and see many things and business units cut (just like Disney did after the 20CF acquisition).

There's nothing to see here imo.

Reactions: Nico and Coolbfitz
Zaslav has said he sees DC as the most valuable part of WBD and is still largely untapped. He's also said he sees great value in WBP and HBO Max, however, things weren't being run how he wanted there when he took over so lots of changes have happened. Batgirl is a good example. It was designed as a Max original on a Max budget, but meant to be in the DCEU. Reports are the film sucks so they are just shelving the film to save the brand of the character.

You have to understand that with big mergers (and a company like WB that was an insane mess when Zaslav took it over), the company is going to go through some growing pains and see many things and business units cut (just like Disney did after the 20CF acquisition).

There's nothing to see here imo.

That's 140 million dollars poured down that drain that will have to be found somewhere else...that's the issue.

That's 140 million dollars poured down that drain that will have to be found somewhere else...that's the issue.

I’m sure they have some tax write-off they can use. Plus, they’re ultimately saving on marketing, reshoots, etc. Aaaaaand…many are forgetting the multi-million debacle of CNN+ and how Zas had to cancel it. When you take over, it’s easy to spin a loss in your first year as “cleaning up” from the old regime and setting up a long form strategy. You don’t want to be seeing these losses in your third year.

I’m honestly still confused by this level of panic. WB was a mess. They are in the process of moving the entire company into a new direction. Some eggs were simply going to break. Thursday’s call should shed some light on this chaos.

Finally, just a reminder, Hollywood is filled with success stories rooted in “It’s never been done before.” Is this a risk? Sure. But I’m hoping it means we’re nearing a cohesive vision for the company. I always root for an underdog. I just feel bad for those involved in the movie.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legacy
I’m sure they have some tax write-off they can use. Plus, they’re ultimately saving on marketing, reshoots, etc. Aaaaaand…many are forgetting the multi-million debacle of CNN+ and how Zas had to cancel it. When you take over, it’s easy to spin a loss in your first year as “cleaning up” from the old regime and setting up a long form strategy. You don’t want to be seeing these losses in your third year.

I’m honestly still confused by this level of panic. WB was a mess. They are in the process of moving the entire company into a new direction. Some eggs were simply going to break. Thursday’s call should shed some light on this chaos.

Finally, just a reminder, Hollywood is filled with success stories rooted in “It’s never been done before.” Is this a risk? Sure. But I’m hoping it means we’re nearing a cohesive vision for the company. I always root for an underdog. I just feel bad for those involved in the movie.

They're intending to point these films as a Tax Write-Down. Something that for the film spectre, is a rare thing especially for projects months off from being released (Scoob was apparently nearly complete; they just needed to finish some things in lighting). It will result additionally in that they will not be able to release it on any platform, or sell it to any studio; essentially having to burn anything affiliated with the product that was being made.

This isn't something that is normal for a studio to do, especially at such a high expense of over 100 million.

Additionally, beyond the big two: a crap ton of other projects have been scrapped, including that of:

• CNN+ & all of the original programming
  • Raised By Wolves (HBOM)
  • Close Enough (HBOM)
  • Gordita Chronicles (HBOM)
  • Made For Love (HBOM)
  • Chad (TBS, hours before it's season premiere)
  • Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS)
  • Three Busy Debras (AS)
  • Joe Pera Talks With You (AS)
  • Naomi (CW)
  • Legends of Tomorrow (CW)
  • Snowpiercer (TNT, while production of the season was being done)
  • Wonder Twins (days after it began production)
I'm genuinely wondering what is going to happen to projects like Dune and like Godzilla vs. Kong 2, as I wonder if they could try to pull the plug on them now.

Reactions: Nico
I wonder how Horn feels about these moves. That formal announcement was only last week.

Not to mention what they even do with the Flash movie…
Well this is my issue more than anything.

If you're just going to throw money away, why not release Batgirl, get what you can get from it, and then throw a bunch of money at The Flash to recast the title role and replace Ezra Miller? Either way, you're throwing money away, so why not throw it away in a way that makes sense?

The answer to that question is probably as simple as, if rumors are correct, Zaslav has plans to end the DCEU with The Flash. Zas see's the DCEU as toxic considering the Snyderverse fans who will never go away, the middling to poor success of the overall universe, especially in making it feel connected, and other things. Zaslav doesn't want to try to copy Marvel, he wants to do what is working for DC currently, which is standalone films within their own universes.

I worry that we may never get a Peacemaker season 2 if this comes to fruition, and obviously no The Suicide Squad 2...

• Wow
Reactions: HalfGlass and Nico
They're intending to point these films as a Tax Write-Down. Something that for the film spectre, is a rare thing especially for projects months off from being released (Scoob was apparently nearly complete; they just needed to finish some things in lighting). It will result additionally in that they will not be able to release it on any platform, or sell it to any studio; essentially having to burn anything affiliated with the product that was being made.

This isn't something that is normal for a studio to do, especially at such a high expense of over 100 million.

Additionally, beyond the big two: a crap ton of other projects have been scrapped, including that of:

• CNN+ & all of the original programming
  • Raised By Wolves (HBOM)
  • Close Enough (HBOM)
  • Gordita Chronicles (HBOM)
  • Made For Love (HBOM)
  • Chad (TBS, hours before it's season premiere)
  • Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (TBS)
  • Three Busy Debras (AS)
  • Joe Pera Talks With You (AS)
  • Naomi (CW)
  • Legends of Tomorrow (CW)
  • Snowpiercer (TNT, while production of the season was being done)
  • Wonder Twins (days after it began production)
I'm genuinely wondering what is going to happen to projects like Dune and like Godzilla vs. Kong 2, as I wonder if they could try to pull the plug on them now.
Raised by Wolves getting scrapped isn’t that surprising. It was incredibly high-concept, thick with religious overtones, and likely one of the more expensive shows on television. I loved the show, but I expected it to get canceled after each season because nothing about it (apart from the Ridley Scott prestige and the individual performances) really screamed “this has to continue.”

Joe Pera is the biggest loss on that list.

Reactions: Nick
Raised by Wolves getting scrapped isn’t that surprising. It was incredibly high-concept, thick with religious overtones, and likely one of the more expensive shows on television. I loved the show, but I expected it to get canceled after each season because nothing about it (apart from the Ridley Scott prestige and the individual performances) really screamed “this has to continue.”

Joe Pera is the biggest loss on that list.
Yeah, Raised By Wolves i'm not surprised at. However, The Flight Attendant already getting canceled sucks as that can't be an extremely expensive show. Where i'll really raise my red flag is if Hacks gets cancelled instead of getting it's already renewed third season considering that show has a small cast and it's a pretty simple show and small in scale.

Yeah, Raised By Wolves i'm not surprised at. However, The Flight Attendant already getting canceled sucks as that can't be an extremely expensive show. Where i'll really raise my red flag is if Hacks gets cancelled instead of getting it's already renewed third season considering that show has a small cast and it's a pretty simple show and small in scale.
Flight Attendant was only getting two seasons as there was really nowhere else for the story to go. Kaley Couco basically said as much, since it’s just as much about Cassie’s struggles with sobriety as it is a spy show.

I still need to watch season 2 of Hacks.

Hi there--been a month, but what can you do.

THR is reporting that multiple people are believing, that Comcast will be taking the initiative to spin off NBCUniversal and combine it with Warner Bros. Discovery. And one is believing that Brian Roberts may look to take to the initative by 2024, once they can properly make the move.

Hi there--been a month, but what can you do.

THR is reporting that multiple people are believing, that Comcast will be taking the initiative to spin off NBCUniversal and combine it with Warner Bros. Discovery.

Note...its speculating 2024 with the Hulu proceeds and if WBD stock stays low.