Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Cruella

Based on Samba TV information (which is sort of like Nielsen Data in how it's collected), Cruella saw 39% less traffic over Mulan's 4-day Memorial Day Weekend than the 4-day Labor Day Weekend, with Cruella seeing 686,000 households watching Cruella compared to the 1.12M that Mulan saw.

Supposedly, between Box Office and Disney+, Cruella brought in a total of around $47.07M on it's opening weekend. Cruella saw roughly $33.58M on it's opening weekend from Disney+ only. Of course, all of this is educated guesses as Disney doesn't report their numbers.

Disney's got a problem on their hand. Remember, this movie was supposedly green lit for a sequel after it's Premiere Access run, too.

Realistically, what are the chances of either of them winning?
Disney broke their contractual agreement in both cases. Both movies were made in like 2019 or so when theaters were doing great, Disney+ hadn't launched yet, and no one saw Covid coming. Because of this, their contracts were very specific. (at least in scarlett's case) that it was to be a Theatrical exclusive movie and her bonuses were tied to the box office performance, which was probably the same for Emma.

Again, Disney broke their contract and they have been unwilling to renegotiate according to Scarlett. I get that Covid happened, but a contract is a contract. They waited forever to release The New Mutants when they did because the Director had a Theatrical Exclusive clause in his contract, it should be no different here.

This is a mess created by the new orders by Chapek. I expect things will be handled behind closed doors as everything playing out in public like this is not good for Disney from a PR perspective. Hell, Disney's PR response about the lawsuit yesterday was trash. No one is going to feel bad for Disney.

Disney broke their contractual agreement in both cases. Both movies were made in like 2019 or so when theaters were doing great, Disney+ hadn't launched yet, and no one saw Covid coming. Because of this, their contracts were very specific. (at least in scarlett's case) that it was to be a Theatrical exclusive movie and her bonuses were tied to the box office performance, which was probably the same for Emma.

Again, Disney broke their contract and they have been unwilling to renegotiate according to Scarlett. I get that Covid happened, but a contract is a contract. They waited forever to release The New Mutants when they did because the Director had a Theatrical Exclusive clause in his contract, it should be no different here.

This is a mess created by the new orders by Chapek. I expect things will be handled behind closed doors as everything playing out in public like this is not good for Disney from a PR perspective. Hell, Disney's PR response about the lawsuit yesterday was trash. No one is going to feel bad for Disney.
This seems like a settle out of court situation. Still...it seems like it would be easier to just re-negotiate contracts given the unprecedented circumstances

This seems like a settle out of court situation. Still...it seems like it would be easier to just re-negotiate contracts given the unprecedented circumstances
I have to think they will, but responses like this leave me wondering what the hell their plan is... (The below is related to ScarJo's suit)

A Disney spokesperson said, “There is no merit whatsoever to this filing. The lawsuit is especially sad and distressing in its callous disregard for the horrific and prolonged global effects of the Covid-19 pandemic. Disney has fully complied with Ms. Johansson’s contract and furthermore, the release of Black Widow on Disney+ with Premier Access has significantly enhanced her ability to earn additional compensation on top of the $20M she has received to date.”

It's not personal, just business. Reportedly, at least from Scarlett, she tried to renegotiate the contract. A lawsuit shows you're taking it seriously, but they'll likely settle before going to court.

Edit: both sides are generally going to try to paint themselves in the best light and make the other look like the bad guy as a starting point before making compromises.

I have to think they will, but responses like this leave me wondering what the hell their plan is... (The below is related to ScarJo's suit)

A Disney spokesperson said, “There is no merit whatsoever to this filing. The lawsuit is especially sad and distressing in its callous disregard for the horrific and prolonged global effects of the Covid-19 pandemic. Disney has fully complied with Ms. Johansson’s contract and furthermore, the release of Black Widow on Disney+ with Premier Access has significantly enhanced her ability to earn additional compensation on top of the $20M she has received to date.”
Seems like it's using Covid as an excuse to bypass previous agreements made. That excuse is going to run thin super quick though and definitely won't hold up in a case.

Unless they happened to put some crazy clause in there.

I'm not sure the breakdown of theatrical release revenue vs D+...but I don't think it is about compensation, rather principle.

Seems like it's using Covid as an excuse to bypass previous agreements made. That excuse is going to run thin super quick though and definitely won't hold up in a case.

Unless they happened to put some crazy clause in there.

I'm not sure the breakdown of theatrical release revenue vs D+...but I don't think it is about compensation, rather principle.
And Covid has absolutely nothing to do with the agreement they came to in 2017 apparently. Yes, Covid complicated things with the film, but that's when you renegotiate if you want to put it on Disney+ with Premiere Access. Disney refused to do that according to Scarlett Johannson and her representation.

Realistically, what are the chances of either of them winning?

Either way, Disney loses.

If Disney loses the lawsuit, the flood gates are open.

If Disney wins, a lot of their talent will be looking over their contracts and it will be public knowledge that they treat their talent like garbage.

Either way, Disney loses.

If Disney loses the lawsuit, the flood gates are open.

If Disney wins, a lot of their talent will be looking over their contracts and it will be public knowledge that they treat their talent like garbage.
Which is why there will be no winner/loser I don't think. They should just want to settle this behind closed doors and put this to an end.