D23 Expo 2024 - News & Rumors | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

D23 Expo 2024 - News & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm genuinely surprised there wasn't more actual news to come out of the panel last night.

I would have thought at least one new MCU project would be announced, and more details about the other two STAR WARS movies coming after MANDO & GROGU.
I’m honestly not surprised we didn’t get much new Marvel, I think they’re realizing they’re poisoning the well and are slowing down to reevaluate.

Reactions: belloq87
I'm genuinely surprised there wasn't more actual news to come out of the panel last night.

I would have thought at least one new MCU project would be announced, and more details about the other two STAR WARS movies coming after MANDO & GROGU.
I think a big reason why no major marvel news is because they are in the middle of retooling and trying to get everything right. They have three films coming out next year (we all know Blade ain’t coming out) so if they just run the table and have a great year, then it’ll earn a lot of consumer confidence back which is the struggle they’ve had.

Reactions: Grabnar
Yeah, honestly not a ton of the slate interests me a ton.

Toy Story 5 seems like a total dud to me. I really don't want any more, and other family animated films have tackled the Ipad / Screens thing before. I just feel like it'll become instantly dated like Wreck-It Ralph 2.

Incredibles 3 is another dud. I2 was real mediocre and left me kinda sour. They're gonna have to really sell me on more. Especially in a theatrical enviroment absolutely overloaded with Superhero content. If this isn't Spiderverse-tier, there's no point.

Lightning Round thoughts:

- I want a good, proper Moana 2. I'm still not convinced.
- Not excited for Tron 3 without Daft Punk and with Leto in such a primary role. NIN is an interesting pull though, I'm interested to see how it turns out. "Going to The Real World" and "AI" sounds like doodoo to me.
- Mufasa and Snow White are gonna be real stinkers, and I don't trust Stitch at all.
- Hoppers / Avatar 3 / Zootopia 2 :shrug:
- I'm glad Captain America is finally noticing the Celestial in the ocean. Took long enough.
- I'm just not the audience for Star Wars extended universe stuff.
- Blade must be in some real trouble.
- The Greatest Showman broadway adaptation seemed inevitable and has been rumored for a little while now. Not a fan of the movie, and the music generally is pretty generic and overly contemporary 2010s-y. Curious to see how it performs.

Here's hoping they've got some big ideas for the parks panel. The King Thanos version of the Avengers ride is a legitimate surprise, and I'm happy to see it shown off in some way. Hopefully we get a proper re-announcement.

Yeah, honestly not a ton of the slate interests me a ton.

Toy Story 5 seems like a total dud to me. I really don't want any more, and other family animated films have tackled the Ipad / Screens thing before. I just feel like it'll become instantly dated like Wreck-It Ralph 2.

Incredibles 3 is another dud. I2 was real mediocre and left me kinda sour. They're gonna have to really sell me on more.

Lightning Round thoughts:

- I want a good, proper Moana 2. I'm still not convinced.
- Not excited for Tron 3 without Daft Punk and with Leto in such a primary role. NIN is an interesting pull though, I'm interested to see how it turns out. "Going to The Real World" and "AI" sounds like doodoo to me.
- Mufasa and Snow White are gonna be real stinkers, and I don't trust Stitch at all.
- Hoppers / Avatar 2 / Zootopia 2 :shrug:
- I'm glad Captain America is finally noticing the Celestial in the ocean. Took long enough.
- I'm just not the audience for Star Wars extended universe stuff.
- Blade must be in some real trouble.
- The Greatest Showman broadway adaptation seemed inevitable and has been rumored for a little while now. Not a fan of the movie, and the music generally is pretty generic and overly contemporary 2010s-y. Curious to see how it performs.

Here's hoping they've got some big ideas for the parks panel. The King Thanos version of the Avengers ride is a legitimate surprise, and I'm happy to see it shown off in some way. Hopefully we get a proper re-announcement.
- Auli'i Cravallo sang from Moana 2 sounded really good.
- Captain America has me extremely hyped. I might be the only one super pumped but it looks like a return straight to Winter Soldier vibes.
- Skeleton Crew... yeah as much as I appreciate a good Amblin feeling project, it just looks like its aimed at the 8-15 crowd.
- I really won't be surprised if Blade gets canned and kinda hope it does.
- Hoppers is exactly my kind of bonkers.

They haven't made a bad Toy Story film yet (I'd argue they've all been quite excellent), so I have no reason not to give Pixar the benefit of the doubt. Also thoroughly enjoyed Incredibles 2, so I'll probably catch that.

Otherwise, they're all likely skips for me. Not interested in the live action remakes and I'm pretty checked out on Marvel at this point. So, nothing against the slate as much as most of it wasn't going to interest me no matter what was on it.

- Auli'i Cravallo sang from Moana 2 sounded really good.
- Captain America has me extremely hyped. I might be the only one super pumped but it looks like a return straight to Winter Soldier vibes.
- Skeleton Crew... yeah as much as I appreciate a good Amblin feeling project, it just looks like its aimed at the 8-15 crowd.
- I really won't be surprised if Blade gets canned and kinda hope it does.
- Hoppers is exactly my kind of bonkers.
I think there just isn't really a hook to Moana 2 for me yet, besides "It's a sequel to Moana!". Most of the characters and landscapes and villains are incredibly similar to the last movie. It's kinda just the lightning, the Disney+ Toddler surrogate character, and the Evil Island, which took a backseat to Pua, Coconuts, Grandma, etc. in the trailer.

I would love for Cap 5 to be killer. There's a chunk of really cool ideas; Cap without Soldier Serum meets Red Hulk, dealing with governmental responses to the Celestial attack, and I honestly liked F&tWS quite a bit. I just struggle to get as hyped as I used to for Marvel stuff, especially with the rough development we know this movie has dealt with. Here's hoping they pull something off.

The whole "Paranormal / Spooky MCU" angle they were advertising just seems silly and bloated in hindsight. They couldn't pull off their Thor or Captain Marvel films, I couldn't imagine them actually following through with Black Knight or whoever. Blade should happen at some point, but that's as far as they need to take it imo.

I've got a bunch of new release Pixar films to watch from the past few years. I'm sure Hoppers will be fun, but for me it just gets added to the pile with Onward and Elemental and the rest.