D23 Expo 2024 - News & Rumors | Page 22 | Inside Universal Forums

D23 Expo 2024 - News & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

What are you most excited about?

• Monsters Inc. Land at DHS

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Avengers Campus new rides

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pandora at DCA

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Villains Land at MK

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Cars Frontierland area at MK

• The Lion King ride at DAW

• Tropical Americas Land at DAK

• Coco at DCA

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Spider-Man coaster at SHDL

• Fortnite lmao

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
The Big Plus....These are such major announcements for WDW (with the caveat they get followed through to completion), that Universal will really have no choice but to follow through on significant new D/E attractions for Studios and IOA soon after Epic opens. This is a pure Orlando Theme Parks War, if ever there was one.
Exactly. It's one of the greatest times to be alive as an Orlando theme park fan literally ever. It's why I'm not even vaguely interested in engaging in the "what ifs" of this all not happening at this point. We're living in a time where all of this, Epic Universe, Zelda, Pokémon, Nintendo EU expansion, etc may all be coming in the next decade. It's incredible how many huge projects are on the docket for both resorts and how much we're all going to be feasting as theme park fans. Competition has led us to potential greatness. Let yourselves feel some joy lmao.

Exactly. It's one of the greatest times to be alive as an Orlando theme park fan literally ever. It's why I'm not even vaguely interested in engaging in the "what ifs" of this all not happening at this point. We're living in a time where all of this, Epic Universe, Zelda, Pokémon, Nintendo EU expansion, etc may all be coming in the next decade. It's incredible how many huge projects are on the docket for both resorts and how much we're all going to be feasting as theme park fans. Competition has led us to potential greatness. Let yourselves feel some joy lmao.
Yes. Pure joy. Bottom line is that it will be great for theme park guests. Neither Universal or WDW will be able to take their foot off the pedal, or their parks that don't get significant new attractions on a very 'near' future timely basis, will suffer attendance issues. This was probably not the news Comcast wanted to hear, namely Disney's very aggressive WDW plans, but now they'll have to deal with it without taking a breather after Epic opens. I don't think Universal will continue to drag their feet on the Lost Continent replacement and the Pokemon future build now. They need to have a lot more than just the replacement of the Studios RRR coaster ready to go in the next few years.

The long-term business plan is remarkably ambitious. Expect a lot more at WDW after this round of expansion and a lot more after that round of expansion.

Things are just getting started!
That's one of the most exciting parts. There are still so many rumors unannounced on top of all of these announcements. Stitch (and Tomorrowland) as a whole are all ripe for change. Moana boat ride remains a rumor. Figment is ripe for an upgrade. Spaceship Earth is still waiting for an inevitable redo. Wakanda was mentioned in the official blue sky list, but didn't get an announcement yesterday. And so on. I don't see either resort letting up any time soon.

Despite an aggravatingly long show with a lot of fluff (It felt like the Game Awards sometimes lmao), this was an incredibly solid showing. Villain's Land and the Monster's Inc Door Coaster in one panel is a double whammy we've really never seen them pull before. Both of those have been rumored and requested for decades, and it's insane to see them both officially on the docket. Only thing that could meet them in hype levels is a proper Imagination redo.

DCA Fans are eating well. I was very happy to see the Avenger's ride re-revealed, and I think it looks great. Very excited to see how they pull it off, and that it seems like they're really trying to get the official actors for everyone, no matter the cost. I wonder how much of the ride budget is going to RDJ alone. Flight Lab is kinda silly and lame, but also is another thing to do and helps to fill out the land so I can't complain. Pandora 2 is cool and I hope ends up with that Banshee meet and greet on both coasts.

I really can't believe Cars in MK actually happened. I was very against it a few months ago, and I'm still a little hesitant, but it looks more like a singular, new, and large scale ride rather than plopping DCA Cars Land as-is behind Big Thunder, which was my personal worry. Villain's Land being officially announced makes up for Cars 100x over personally though. I hope the concept art doesn't get Toy Story Land'd and it keeps all of it's rockwork and detail. A Villain coaster is a crazy addition, and I'm curious to see how they bridge the land between Frontier and Fantasyland.

The Lion King boat ride being based on the Favreau movie is such a Monkey's Paw addition. What a killer concept with an incredible and devastating flaw at the base level. I laughed pretty hard at that one.

Monstropolis is probably my personal win for the night. That's an absolutely insane addition that shows a lot of promise. All of the concept art has such life and character. I hope they don't ruin this win by removing Muppet-Vision for it. I think Indy + Star Tours is more than enough space for this project, and allows for a clean transition into Muppet Courtyard right behind Monstropolis. Here's hoping. Can't wait to bring my dates to Harryhausens like God intended.

And then of course, my Dinosaur. :broken_heart: Taken from this world much too soon. They said I'd have a good bit of time so no September closures like I was worried about. I still think they could leave the Dino Institute be, and make another ride to add capacity to DAK, but what's done is done. I'll enjoy it while it lasts, and at least Indy is based off of a Mythical Animal and isn't a clone, which were my primary concerns. I'll be back up to DAK to properly mourn very soon. Thoughts, prayers, and condolences are welcome at this time. :dizzy:

I'll throw my other thoughts in their respective threads.

Last edited:
You’re going to get to have your cake and eat it too!

At least that’s the plan for the next 15 years.
I will send that cake straight back to the kitchen on sight. 5th Gate is the last thing I want haha. There's already a lack of employee infrastructure and supply in Central Florida for EU.

From a board politics standpoint I think this is also a good response to the failed takeover from earlier this year. The main allegations were that Disney was creatively bankrupt and incapable of innovating or announcing/executing new things, and this is a good first step towards getting things back aligned IMO. We'll see how well they follow through, but cautiously optimistic currently.

I will send that cake straight back to the kitchen on sight. 5th Gate is the last thing I want haha. There's already a lack of employee infrastructure and supply in Central Florida for EU.
It’s a long ways off so hopefully the labor market in Orlando looks different by the time it opens. But it is in the plans.

But, bear in mind, staffing all of the existing park expansions is going to take about the same number of people it takes to staff a whole new park.

The Lion King boat ride being based on the Favreau movie is such a Monkey's Paw addition. What a killer concept with an incredible and devastating flaw at the base level. I laughed pretty hard at that one.
Yeah, that concept art was odd. But not in the way you’re thinking.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but reporting from places I trust like DisneyTouristBlog indicates that all these attractions come online within the next five years, presumably indicating some significant overlap in construction timelines.

Reactions: Grabnar and GA-MBIT
So still nothing for the former (not realized) Play pavilion in Epcot, no makeover for the Imagination Pavilion and I was expecting DL would get it's People mover back.

So still nothing for the former (not realized) Play pavilion in Epcot, no makeover for the Imagination Pavilion and I was expecting DL would get it's People mover back.

The holes in the park lineup are still glaring - don't forget Stitch. If they can fill out some of those experiences as they're making these huge expansions I'd be happy.

I would love for some of those smaller additions like Play!, Stitch, Body Wars refresh, etc to fill in some spots earlier in the timeline. 2025/26 seems like a pretty harsh dead-zone for WDW fans. Test Track, Zootopia, and a new Parade isn't very much at all, especially when spread across 4 parks. At least give us the Smuggler's Run mission sooner than later.

I would love for some of those smaller additions like Play!, Stitch, Body Wars refresh, etc to fill in some spots earlier in the timeline. 2025/26 seems like a pretty harsh dead-zone for WDW fans. Test Track, Zootopia, and a new Parade isn't very much at all, especially when spread across 4 parks. At least give us the Smuggler's Run mission sooner than later.
Wouldn't surprise me if Stitch gets saved for a full Tomorrowland update at this point. MILF can go with Monster's Inc Land getting announced. Speedway is hit or miss with the new secondary Cars ride coming that should fill a similar void. Might as well do one big cohesive overhaul instead of patchwork when we've already waited this long.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
Wouldn't surprise me if Stitch gets saved for a full Tomorrowland update at this point. MILF can go with Monster's Inc Land getting announced. Speedway is hit or miss with the new secondary Cars ride coming that should fill a similar void. Might as well do one big cohesive overhaul instead of patchwork when we've already waited this long.
Adding a shade structure to the Speedway loading station would've been a bigger reveal than Villain's Land for me personally. Those poor CM's.

• Haha
Reactions: Tbad556
Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but reporting from places I trust like DisneyTouristBlog indicates that all these attractions come online within the next five years, presumably indicating some significant overlap in construction timelines.
Once EU is complete a LOT of pretty specialized contracting firms suddenly become free.

I'm seeing a lot of model talk here, where can I find videos of these new models for things like Avatar, Lion King, Monsters, etc.