D23 Expo 2024 - News & Rumors | Page 23 | Inside Universal Forums

D23 Expo 2024 - News & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

What are you most excited about?

• Monsters Inc. Land at DHS

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Avengers Campus new rides

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pandora at DCA

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Villains Land at MK

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Cars Frontierland area at MK

• The Lion King ride at DAW

• Tropical Americas Land at DAK

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Coco at DCA

• Spider-Man coaster at SHDL

• Fortnite lmao

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
One thing that I wish that could have been announced is a Hollywoodland replacement for DCA. Since Avatar seems more than likely destined for the Simba lot, I had the impression HL would be addressed before Avatar and thus would be at the panel tonight. Perhaps Hollywoodlands replacement will be something brought up at D23 2026.

I almost guarantee avatar is going in Hollywoodland. Coco Pixar Pier.

I don’t think they’ve announced anything for the Disneyland forward plots yet.

Aside from the night parade at MK, I wouldn't bank on much of anything beside Indy as a "done deal". Disney has announced far too many things and then unceremoniously had them disappear, never to be mentioned again.
I see you catching a lot of flak in the other threads -- and in fairness this discussion best limited to this thread -- but the simple truth is the 1970s resort expansion and the Disney Decade were largely derailed by a major recession and trouble in the Middle East driving up oil prices. If you don't see a real potential for both in 2025 - 2026, you haven't been paying attention.

I imagine Zootpia and Encanto a lock as well as Indy, and the carousel is a carousel. Everything else WDW could quietly go back into the vault if external pressures or internal failings cause Epic Universe to underperform.

I see you catching a lot of flak in the other threads -- and in fairness this discussion best limited to this thread -- but the simple truth is the 1970s resort expansion and the Disney Decade were largely derailed by a major recession and trouble in the Middle East driving up oil prices. If you don't see a real potential for both in 2025 - 2026, you haven't been paying attention.

I imagine Zootpia and Encanto a lock as well as Indy, and the carousel is a carousel. Everything else WDW could quietly go back into the vault if external pressures or internal failings cause Epic Universe to underperform.
Being worried about stuff getting cancelled is missing the forest for the trees, IMO. Yes, we missed out on a theater and a playground in Epcot a few years back.

We also got significant investments every year since 2017.

2024 was a slowdown with nothing but a reskinned flume ride, and everybody was ready to write off Disney again. Now we have the next few years laid out for us all over again. Stuff could definitely get cut, but thinking this won’t represent another five/six years of huge investment is not rooted in any sort of recent precedent.

Being worried about stuff getting cancelled is missing the forest for the trees, IMO. Yes, we missed out on a theater and a playground in Epcot a few years back.

We also got significant investments every year since 2017.

2024 was a slowdown with nothing but a reskinned flume ride, and everybody was ready to write off Disney again. Now we have the next few years laid out for us all over again. Stuff could definitely get cut, but thinking this won’t represent another five/six years of huge investment is not rooted in any sort of recent precedent.
That's my biggest thing as well.

Play Pavilion, Spaceship Earth redo, Main Street Theater, and a carousel ≠ full on lands and E-tickets. We still got Toy Story Land, Galaxy's Edge, Starcruiser (for better or worse), Runaway Railway, Guardians, Tron, Tiana, Ratatouille, etc.

Would I be shocked to see Pueblo Esperanza lose its carousel for example? Absolutely not. But I would be shocked if Indiana Jones just didn't happen. Would I be shocked if Villains Land looked way more watered down than the concept art for budgetary reasons? Not even a little. But I think we still get the two attractions promised (whether it's an Avengers ride type of delay for one attraction is another discussion lol). Do I think some of these make take longer than expected and that's part of why we largely didn't get set dates or locations? Possibly! But I think they still come.

Cuts & delays are definitely possible, but I think we have to compare what was presented yesterday to what has actually been lost in recent years if we want to play that game. I think most of us are aware that these projects may experience turbulence and Disney deserves some hesitation after the construction habits of recent years, but the end product is still exciting and something to look forward to despite any of that.

Last edited:
Timeline guess:

Disneyland
Avengers and Stark Flight Lab (2027). They will rush order this for the movie.

Avatar (2028). Presumably the bus loop and pedestrian bridge get built first over at the Eastern gateway, albeit without the parking structure.

Coco (2029)
We already have a rough timeline, and it's presumably starting later to accomodate a bridge over to the Simba lot or to relocate the parade buildings.

WDW
Zootopia Show (Feb. 2025)
Dinosaur closure (Fall 2025)
Carousel and Pueblo Esperanza (Fall 2026)
Monsters Inc (If RNR retheme) (Spring 2027)
Indy (Summer 2027)
Encanto ( Late Late Fall 2027 )
Monsters Inc (New Build) ( Spring 2028 )
Cars ( Late Late Fall 2028 )
Villains ( 2030 )

Last edited:
Reactions: Jake S
On Monsters Inc. I've noticed that RNR has continued to have 'considerable' downtime, even after this recent return from its second refurb. Most days its down 20 to 35% of the day. Though it may originally targeted have been for a different spot of DHS, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up where this very problematic coaster resides.

On Monsters Inc. I've noticed that RNR has continued to have 'considerable' downtime, even after this recent return from its second refurb. Most days its down 20 to 35% of the day. Though it may originally targeted have been for a different spot of DHS, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up where this very problematic coaster resides.
I see the logic but I don’t think what was shown in the door coaster model would fit into the existing Rock and Roller Coaster building. Even assuming the model isn’t 1:1, the lack of launch and clearance necessary for suspended vehicles take up a lot of extra space.