Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Destination D 2020: Fantastic Worlds

Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
bob-chapek-mickey-mouse-destination-d-23.jpg

D23 DESTINATION D: FANTASTIC WORLDS: Returning to Walt Disney World Resort next November 20–22, Destination D will honor Disney’s many magical places, from the extraordinary to the fantastical. In addition, the Walt Disney Archives, which turns 50 next year, is creating an all-new exhibit that will include 50 iconic treasures, representing the 50 years of the Archives. And Walt Disney Imagineering’s store, Mickey’s of Glendale, will once again open a pop-up shop featuring exclusive items, just for the weekend. Additional details, including special hotel rates and ticketing information, will be announced in late spring.

D23 CELEBRATES 50 YEARS OF THE WALT DISNEY ARCHIVES: In addition to the new exhibit coming to Destination D, D23 Members will be invited to a special Grand Opening Preview of Inside the Walt Disney Archives: 50 Years of Preserving the Magic at the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana, Calif., on Saturday, March 4, 2020. Plus, on June 22, the actual anniversary of the founding of the Archives, D23 will hold a special “birthday party” at the Bowers Museum. And next year, D23 will offer two exclusive D23 Behind-the-Scenes Experiences: A Day at the Studio Lot, for an exciting look behind the incredible work that goes on every day at the Walt Disney Archives.

'Destination D' Returns to Walt Disney World in 2020 With "Fantastic Worlds" Theme; Full Slate of 2020 D23 Offerings
-----------------------------------
Seems like Disney's trying to beat Universal to the punch (marketing wise) and try to make it seem like they already have these big Worlds that Epic Universe is promising.

The subtitle is a clear jab either way, though.

Last edited:
Yes, but the trademark is for amusement purposes only. Destination D is a convention. That's the same reason why The Simpsons were able to do M&G's at D23 this year despite the Universal contract.

Entertainment services in the nature of amusement park and theme park services; entertainment services in the nature of an amusement park ride; entertainment in the nature of amusement park attractions, namely, a themed area

Dang Bob Chapek now has 2 digs recently between “10 Hour Wait failure” and now this. Interesting... maybe we’re reading too into it but I’m not sure we are either. Interesting strategy he’s got. Could it be a sign of worry? Like I don’t understand it lol

Yes, but the trademark is for amusement purposes only. Destination D is a convention. That's the same reason why The Simpsons were able to do M&G's at D23 this year despite the Universal contract.

Entertainment services in the nature of amusement park and theme park services; entertainment services in the nature of an amusement park ride; entertainment in the nature of amusement park attractions, namely, a themed area

It's all very uncouth for lack of a better word.

Could Universal hold a convention called: Destination U: Magic Kingdom?

It's all very uncouth for lack of a better word.

Could Universal hold a convention called: Destination U: Magic Kingdom?
I'm no lawyer, but i'd be inclined to say yes.

I think a better example though would be if Universal used Beastly Kingdom. Remember, we're talking about a term that was never announced to the public.

(Sidebar: Thinking of BK just got me excited for what they cover of it on The Imagineering Story :lol:)

I'm no lawyer, but i'd be inclined to say yes.

I think a better example though would be if Universal used Beastly Kingdom. Remember, we're talking about a term that was never announced to the public.

(Sidebar: Thinking of BK just got me excited for what they cover of it on The Imagineering Story :lol:)

Oh, that's good :lol: Especially with the Imagineers leaving for Universal. I'm saying that like it would actually happen but given the recent Universal Social Media, I wouldn't put it past them.

(On that next episode, prepare for a lot of Joe Rohde's earring comments on Twitter)

Dang Bob Chapek now has 2 digs recently between “10 Hour Wait failure” and now this. Interesting... maybe we’re reading too into it but I’m not sure we are either. Interesting strategy he’s got. Could it be a sign of worry? Like I don’t understand it lol
I remember the digs being the opposite way around when I was younger....interesting

The old "If I saw another princess, I was going to hurl" commercial comes to mind...

Contrast that with this:

I think some at Disney are bothered that Universal is no longer bothered by Disney

Oh I'm sure thats the case, Universal has very much developed its own brand and own entity away from Disney since the Wizarding World opened. Universal is getting close to (I don't know specifics on Disney) to 50% of what Disney has in terms of parks and hotels, there's no way that doesn't cause some fear in them. Or, they have the cocky mentality of "We'll just tweet its open" which is kinda funny in retrospect lol.

Panels will be streaming live on Facebook and Youtube.

Event-Line-Up-Banner-Desktop_A780x1198_Amended.jpg

I registered for the Creating Fantastic Worlds one. I was looking to attending this when it was going to be at WDW.

FW-Celebration_Iris_For-Digital-780x440.jpg

fantasticworlds.jpg

I was willing to give Disney the benefit of the doubt on the name, but they straight up copied the logo. There's no way this wasn't intentional. I just can't think of any good reason why they would do this.