Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

DHS's Dining Situation

How do you feel about it?

• Total voters
The only place I ever get food is a muffin at the writer's stop, right next to the drive-in. Those are the best muffins on disney property and they really don't cost much.

If I'm eating at DHS its between Fairfax Fare, Staring Rolls, or Writer's Stop. They have some delicious pulled pork and chicken at Fairfax, and the pastries/desserts at the other two are always delicious. I've eaten at Primetime a few times, and it really isn't anything special to me, although I do like popping in for the sundaes during the slower times.

I hear almost nothing but horror stories for the most part about everything else except Brown Derby, and I expect it to be good since that's a Signature. If it were up to me, there would be a lot of changes made to food service at DHS.

I guess I must be the only one that's really explored DHS's food options, 'cause you guys seem so lost. ;)

I agree that 50's Prime Time Cafe is good (but only for specific items), but if you really want to enjoy food there, you have to go for the ones that've already been noted here already. Sci-Fi Dine-In is great simply for the atmosphere. My only issue is that it's next to impossible to get a reservation for it on short notice, as I've run into this problem before when making on-the-fly decisions to go to DHS. Other than that, yeah, the food's not spectacular (but some of the desserts are out of this world, pun intended!), but it's far from the worst food DHS has to offer.

Obligatory Brown Derby shout-out. I haven't had food there in a while but every time I do it's excellent.

I think we can all agree that the food overall in Disney parks has seen a bit of a decline in the past decade or so, which is a shame, but it's all about those gems.

One restaurant that I never see people go to (or talk about even) is Mama Melrose's. Next chance you've got get a reservation there (not difficult to do) and get it as early as possible. You practically get the restaurant to yourself, so the service is top notch, and the food is pricy, but I haven't had any complaints the past handful of times I've gone. Check it out if you haven't already!

they could do with a few more options, but it's fine right now. it's not HORRIBLE.

now i think a few people share my opinion here: MOS EISLEY CANTINA NEAR STAR TOURS.

I went to DHS yesterday with the hubby for the first time in probably 15 years, and boy, was it disappointing. I voted the food needs a complete overhaul. Most of the full service restaurants have mediocre menus and are way overpriced, and for what they charge at Brown Derby, I could have dinner at Emeril's, one of the best restaurants in town. The counter service restaurants had limited selections and nothing looked appetizing, and again, overpriced. The only thing that looked decent to me was that outdoor food court place (don't remember the name), because one place had ribs and chicken. However, even on a relatively quiet day, there was absolutely no place to sit, and it was cold outside and I didn't really want to eat outside. We went to Epcot, had a late lunch/early dinner at Restaurant Marrakesh, and it was fantastic.

And, I can't believe how much they charge for a freakin' cookie! $3.99! Holy ****! The hubby sells fantastic homemade cookies on a food truck, the same size, for $2.00, and I would bet they are way better. We were really shocked at how much they charge for barely average looking baked goods.

Last edited:
Eating at any of the counter service restaurants at Disney World makes no sense though, especially if you live in Orlando. You can take a 10 min drive to Olive Garden and pay the same amount and actually get real food.

Wait, you're using Olive Garden as an example of "real food" to disparage Disney's counter service!?!

Wait, you're using Olive Garden as an example of "real food" to disparage Disney's counter service!?!

Yeah. I used to work for Darden and I still wouldn't call Olive Garden real food and I used to eat there a lot when working there since we got discounts.

And as a local I eat at counter service all the time. Why would I spend all that time leaving the park, packing the car up (got twin 2 year olds), driving somewhere, unpack the car, go in eat (half the time what because the places are packed around there), repack the car, drive back to the park, unpack the car, and walk back into the park. Heck we don't have to do the tram, but if you have to do the tram that is additional time spent. Plus gas to drive back and forth, that is so not worth my time or gas when I can just get food when I want to and it is there. Depends on my mood, I can't eat at a sit down place every week, sometimes we do (more so in epcot) and sometimes we don't. Depends on how long I am there, what time I got there, and what I feel like. But we do a mix of counter and sit down.

Brown Derby is so worth the money for the person that said they wouldn't pay the prices :) And I am shocked you say Emeril's is the best, I have heard such bad things about that place and how it is so over-hyped, over-priced, and over-commercialized. Most people tell me the name gets people in, but to not go there because it is not worth it.

I would HAPPILY get in my car and drive to Earl of Sandwich, or The Crossroads as opposed to eating at DHS. The prices are outrageous. I have on numerous occasions and surely will many more times.

Brown Derby is so worth the money for the person that said they wouldn't pay the prices :) And I am shocked you say Emeril's is the best, I have heard such bad things about that place and how it is so over-hyped, over-priced, and over-commercialized. Most people tell me the name gets people in, but to not go there because it is not worth it.

Don't believe what they say. I have eaten there several times, and the food is fantastic, and the same applies to Tchoup-choup. Maybe if someone is looking for more standard American-style steakhouse they may not like Emeril's, but if you want something innovative and beautifully prepared, it is well worth the price.

You know what DHS needs? Waffle sandwiches like at the MK. Man, that place is great.