Director James Gunn under fire for offensive tweets [Update: Fired] | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Director James Gunn under fire for offensive tweets [Update: Fired]

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all sides though. One side is outraged about Roseanne but not about Gunn. The other is outraged against Gunn but not Roseanne. There's so much hypocrisy all the time, it's astounding. And people just can't be adults and everyone bemoans and cries. For every crybaby worrying about Hillary Duff and Chris Hemsworth dressing up as an indian for a Lone ranger party, there's an equal crybaby worrying about people kneeling for an anthem. Just stop supporting whatever it is if you feel so inclined and stop crying about it.

Q: Did you see the new GotG movie?
"I didn't watch GotG because I don't agree with the director's jokes about pedophilia. Just not my cup of tea."

Q: Did you see the new Roseanne episode last night?
"I didn't watch Roseanne because of the racist statements she made. Just not my cup of tea."

If people care about Roseanne's statements, then don't watch the show. Bad ratings will get it cancelled. If people didn't care, keep watching it. Same goes with Gunn. I don't need F'ing Disney playing censor to what we, as society, can handle or accept. It's their right, because it's their empire. But the fact that we, as a society, can't regulate ourselves is insulting. And the fact we think we should regulate others is equally insulting.
Roseanne and Gunn should both have jobs until the ratings say otherwise is my take. Let the people speak with their wallets.
Good points and I agree and disagree with what you are saying.

I agree with the statement that we the people should be able to decide what we want to watch and not watch with our time and our wallets. The amount of immediate knee jerk public outcry and echo chambers that social media provides isn't necessarily helpful for anyone.

I disagree with the comparison, while what they did is somewhat similar I think this is an apples to oranges deal and not necessarily hypocritical to support the distaste for one vs the other. The biggest difference being time, a lot has changed from when he made those tweets to now... heck when he made some of those tweets Universal Studios was on life support, Harry Potter was a neat idea for a land in a theme park, Pandora land had just been announced at AK, Chucky's Insult Emporium was perfectly legit, and the Bill and Ted show wasn't even really considered offensive.

Correct me if I'm misinterpreting this, but are you arguing that minorities are not disadvantaged by racial discrimination?

They certainly are, but I don't believe it is nearly as prolific as several groups would make you think.
I'll PM you as I veered this thing completely off-topic.

What blows my mind is the fact that the same people who continue to call it “joking” are the same ones that get continue to be offended by everything else. Hypocrisy.

I think Barr and Gunn's tweets are both in bad taste and offensive, but Barr bothered me more since she was attacking individuals, spreading hurtful ideas, and was showing no growth from the mistakes (she constantly deleted, apologized, then would go back to it a week later. Remember her "quitting" Twitter?) Plus the circumstances around why and who of the Gunn firing is important.

Correct me if I'm misinterpreting this, but are you arguing that minorities are not disadvantaged by racial discrimination?

I wonder what talking point the other side is going to shove down peoples throats when "whites" are the minorities (which will happen within the next 30 years). I'm a "minority" but I don't have that minority type, victim, poor me, I deserve repreatiaons mindset.

I've seen "minorities" (black and Hispanic, Chinese and Black) be racist towards each other.

Woman charged with attempted murder in beating of man, 92, with brick.
She beat the guy up and told him to go back to his country.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/laquisha-jones-rodolfo-rodriguez-attempted-murder-beating-man-92-brick/

If it were a white woman, the medias headline would've been:
White Woman charged with attempted murder in beating Mexican man, 92, with brick.

Last edited:
Is Sarah Silverman gonna be ousted from Wreck It Ralph 2?

C4jOlMoXAAIgOy0.jpg

3CC42CF500000578-0-image-a-104_1486055419804.jpg

slbv8qqw4j1z.jpg

why is it that the people that do the most virtue signaling are sometimes the ones with the worst comments online?
oh... how times change...... how times have changed. here's Sarah Silverman Defending the use of racist and offensive jokes.... imagine if this episode came out today...

Reactions: shiekra38
Eh, incredibly biased "reporting" in that article. They picked his least offensive tweets as examples. Why not the "The best thing about being raped is when you’re done being raped and it’s like ‘whew this feels great, not being raped".

Gunn said significantly worse stuff that Roseanne did. Like I said earlier, I'm not offended about either- because both of their tweets are ridiculous and stupid.

I think Barr and Gunn's tweets are both in bad taste and offensive, but Barr bothered me more since she was attacking individuals, spreading hurtful ideas, and was showing no growth from the mistakes (she constantly deleted, apologized, then would go back to it a week later. Remember her "quitting" Twitter?) Plus the circumstances around why and who of the Gunn firing is important.
We don't know the circumstances of Gunn's "growth" either. It could have been as simple as Disney saying "You can't say anymore of that stuff or you can't work for us". They knew about it- and I double-damn guarantee they said something about it to him or his agent (who then told him).

The whole "growth" argument has no bearing or weight either. We don't know him. He's a complete stranger to us. Could he have grown? Sure. Did he? We don't know.

I truly don't see the difference in either. But I also said neither should have been fired.
Let this be a lesson kids- the internet keeps no secrets.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
I don’t recall the part where I mentioned Roseanne. See this is the problem entirely, instead of treating people as individuals they’re lumped in based on political beliefs. What James Gunn said as an individual was disgusting. What Roseanne said as an individual was also disgusting. Let’s take politics out of it and call a spade a spade, what happened to decency?

Movie Bob did a fantastic write up also on more of the nuances of this.

On James Gunn, Fake Outrage and Letting The Bad Guys Win – MOVIEBOB CENTRAL

Eh, incredibly biased "reporting" in that article. They picked his least offensive tweets as examples. Why not the "The best thing about being raped is when you’re done being raped and it’s like ‘whew this feels great, not being raped".

Gunn said significantly worse stuff that Roseanne did. Like I said earlier, I'm not offended about either- because both of their tweets are ridiculous and stupid.

We don't know the circumstances of Gunn's "growth" either. It could have been as simple as Disney saying "You can't say anymore of that stuff or you can't work for us". They knew about it- and I double-damn guarantee they said something about it to him or his agent (who then told him).

The whole "growth" argument has no bearing or weight either. We don't know him. He's a complete stranger to us. Could he have grown? Sure. Did he? We don't know.

I truly don't see the difference in either. But I also said neither should have been fired.
Let this be a lesson kids- the internet keeps no secrets.

Im sorry but Movie bob is one of the worst critics on youtube. he cannot review a single movie without puting a political spin to his reviews.... here's another virtue signaling youtuber.... he does nothing but pander. he panders to the extreme left a lot.
Like i said earlier, if these tweets were made by a conservative, Movie Bob would one of the First ones to throw that person into the fire. you wouldn't hear the end of it. movie bob would be the first one celebrating the person getting fired

o2OsWKB.jpg

lol :lol: Ironically enough Movie Bob has some creepy and weird tweets himself, woulnd't be surprised if people unearth something from his old tweets, he has a weird obsession with Mario and with Sonic, to the point of sounding like hes in love with them :lol::lol:

if i recall correctly, he got into some drama for defending another youtuber that was accused of making pedophile comments in 2006 or something. I don't remember who it was but I do remember the backlash he got.

EDIT:
found this online about movie bob

Bob's political views have been noted by observers to be remarkably elitist, as they are marked by his intense dislike of the United States's working classes and their political causes, instead favoring their domination by their richer, more media-visible and more glamorous bi-coastal compatriots, whose political views and contributions to society align better to his personal preferences. Bob has even gone to the lengths of differentiating the two classes in evolutionary terms and openly calling for the disenfranchisement, belittlement of blue-collar voters, to the point of lamenting that he wished the KKK didn't "ruin" the idea of having an IQ Test required for voting, among other examples.

All this has lead his critics to suggest that Bob essentially supports eugenics against those who oppose his ideals. Bob's response to this claim ranges from outright derision to claiming that he campaigns for specific goals that advance humanity, such as the advancement of space travel, terraforming and colonization and the installment of US Supreme Court judges who are pro-abortion.

GAMERGATE
Perhaps there's no better proof of Bob's elitist and extremist attitudes than his personal involvement in gamergate. where he was firmly on, and heavily campaigning for the "Anti-GamerGate" side all the way. However, as he revealed more and more of his personal politics, his rhetoric was held to be far too extreme by most observers, and even his own side, as he has made explicit calls for eugenics and voter disenfranchisement, to the point of arguing that there were no bad tactics in the war against GamerGate supporters, only bad targets.

Ultimately, Bob's rants on GamerGate started coloring his professional work, which created tensions with The Escapist's management, who were looking to re-position their publication to a more neutral stance in the rapidly escalating cultural conflict, especially with his and other personalities's attraction of an FTC probe into the publication, said tensions ultimately culminated in his firing from the online magazine and the loss of the majority of his influence as a cultural critic and media personality.

To this day, Bob still denies that his steadfast position on Gamergate cost him his job at The Escapist, however, he still refuses to discuss what the actual reasons were, leading observers to assume that it actually was. In addition, Bob still professes that Gamergate is purely a harassment movement against women and minorities attempting to enter or discuss the video games industry. and to date, has not shown any signs of personal reflection on his position.

Last edited:
Reactions: P@n!K_Sw1tC#
If I was a young 20, 30 or 40 I would never post anything on social media. Too much can come back and haunt you in some shape or form, and not just celebrities or politicians. Social media has so much negative potential to harm someone's life, career, job possibilities etc. that it's just not worth putting yourself out there. And it seems like the dark side of social media is gaining ascendancy. At my age, and being retired , there's fortunately very little potential for repercussions. But, as I said, if I was young again, I'd have nothing to do with it.

Slightly off topic, but I know we've been meaning to have me on the Parkscope Podcast, sorry I kept putting it off. We should totally set that up soon!

I am not easily offended by jokes. There's maybe 2 jokes in the history of all media I have consumed in my entire life that have ever offended me. (One from SouthPark and the other Family Guy, and yet, they still remain some of my favorite shows. I know they don't mean any harm, it was just a bad joke that got to me due to personal reasons.) I realize that not every joke is for every person, or as Joe puts it, sometimes jokes punch up, are negative in nature, and are many times directed towards a group that is in a minority, (or has historically been bullied to the point where it becomes normal to bully them.)

Here's the thing though. I don't get mad at tasteless jokes that are offensive because they are offensive. I get mad because they're bad jokes.

If a joke is funny. If a joke is well constructed. Then, I believe, a joke can be made about literally anything.

The idea that nothing should be joked about can be dangerous. Just because something is no joking matter, doesn't mean it can't be part of a good joke.

In the middle ages, the only one who was allowed to speak ill of the king was the jester. Since the fool was not taken seriously, he could call those in power out for all the bad they were doing. Too much taxes for example, or "oh there King whatever goes cutting off another servant's head, that's so King whatever." People laugh, the king laughs, and it's funny because it's true. But if you're not the jester and say that, oh boy are you losing your head back then.

Jokes can be powerful tools. Jokes can help us cope with incredible sad events in our history. But also, jokes can be lazy and tweeted out in the middle of the night with little to no reflection. Offensive jokes as a whole don't upset me, poorly constructed ones do.

What was my point? Oh yea, the real crime here (or rather 8 years ago when he wrote those "jokes,") isn't how "offensive" they are. It's how bad they are as jokes. At least to me.

Being offensive for offensive's sake gives good offensive jokes a bad name.
There is a huge difference between using free speech and just being a jerk/idiot

Again, Disney can do whatever they want, the jokes are strange and weird...He should have kept these jokes among his weird friends

I don't think he should have been fired now though...I wonder if anyone had a conversation with him about the tweets and he didn't listen

If I was a young 20, 30 or 40 I would never post anything on social media. Too much can come back and haunt you in some shape or form, and not just celebrities or politicians. Social media has so much negative potential to harm someone's life, career, job possibilities etc. that it's just not worth putting yourself out there. And it seems like the dark side of social media is gaining ascendancy. At my age, and being retired , there's fortunately very little potential for repercussions. But, as I said, if I was young again, I'd have nothing to do with it.

studies have shown that social media is ruining the way we interact with each other and it causes anxiety and depression problems because when you look at people's facebook profiles it looks like everyone is having the most amazing lives and youre not.
people tend to share their best moments on facebook and never show their weaker moments, so to other people it makes it look like you are having the greatest life. Also we are seeing a decrease in people actually talking to each other since text took over. some people might spend months without ever hearing each other's voices but texting each other daily. specially if your family or friend moved to another city .

Reactions: Andysol and Mad Dog
studies have shown that social media is ruining the way we interact with each other and it causes anxiety and depression problems because when you look at people's facebook profiles it looks like everyone is having the most amazing lives and youre not.
people tend to share their best moments on facebook and never show their weaker moments, so to other people it makes it look like you are having the greatest life. Also we are seeing a decrease in people actually talking to each other since text took over. some people might spend months without ever hearing each other's voices but texting each other daily. specially if your family or friend moved to another city .
Yes, especially the 'talking to one another' part. That's a real serious issue. So often I'll see someone I know fervidly exchanging text messages and getting upset because the 'text conversation' is either creating issues or not fixing an issue they were addressing. I'll tell them, please, just call the person and actually 'TALK' to them. Chances are you'll solve your issue within a few moments instead of texting back and forth forever.

people tend to share their best moments on facebook and never show their weaker moments, so to other people it makes it look like you are having the greatest life .
I have an amazing life. Problem solved.

Yes, especially the 'talking to one another' part. That's a real serious issue. So often I'll see someone I know fervidly exchanging text messages and getting upset because the 'text conversation' is either creating issues or not fixing an issue they were addressing. I'll tell them, please, just call the person and actually 'TALK' to them. Chances are you'll solve your issue within a few moments instead of texting back and forth forever.

something that happens with my cousin is that she cannot stop looking at her phone EVEN if you are talking to her.
she says she can talk to you And read the phone at the same time, but i don't buy it.
she literally cannot eat lunch without reading the phone or have a conversation with you

I made it a rule that if we are going to talk, she has to put the phone in her pocket. and you can see her starting to freak out. her feet starts to tap, her legs start to shake. she bites her thumbs. she plays with her hair. she gets more nervous and anxious the more we talk without the phone in her hand.

Sometimes i notice she posts things on facebook at 3 AM. just random stuff. i think she wakes up in the middle of the night and just starts texting. ive tried to tell her parents but they dont care

Reactions: Mad Dog
Im sorry but Movie bob is one of the worst critics on youtube. he cannot review a single movie without puting a political spin to his reviews.... here's another virtue signaling youtuber.... he does nothing but pander. he panders to the extreme left a lot.
Like i said earlier, if these tweets were made by a conservative, Movie Bob would one of the First ones to throw that person into the fire. you wouldn't hear the end of it. movie bob would be the first one celebrating the person getting fired

o2OsWKB.jpg

lol :lol: Ironically enough Movie Bob has some creepy and weird tweets himself, woulnd't be surprised if people unearth something from his old tweets, he has a weird obsession with Mario and with Sonic, to the point of sounding like hes in love with them :lol::lol:

if i recall correctly, he got into some drama for defending another youtuber that was accused of making pedophile comments in 2006 or something. I don't remember who it was but I do remember the backlash he got.

EDIT:
found this online about movie bob

Bob's political views have been noted by observers to be remarkably elitist, as they are marked by his intense dislike of the United States's working classes and their political causes, instead favoring their domination by their richer, more media-visible and more glamorous bi-coastal compatriots, whose political views and contributions to society align better to his personal preferences. Bob has even gone to the lengths of differentiating the two classes in evolutionary terms and openly calling for the disenfranchisement, belittlement of blue-collar voters, to the point of lamenting that he wished the KKK didn't "ruin" the idea of having an IQ Test required for voting.[11], among other examples.

All this has lead his critics to suggest that Bob essentially supports eugenics against those who oppose his ideals. Bob's response to this claim ranges from outright derision to claiming that he campaigns for specific goals that advance humanity, such as the advancement of space travel, terraforming and colonization and the installment of US Supreme Court judges who are pro-abortion.

GAMERGATE
Perhaps there's no better proof of Bob's elitist and extremist attitudes than his personal involvement in GamerGate. where he was firmly on, and heavily campaigning for the "Anti-GamerGate" side all the way. However, as he revealed more and more of his personal politics, his rhetoric was held to be far too extreme by most observers, and even his own side, as he has made explicit calls for eugenics and voter disenfranchisement, to the point of arguing that there were no bad tactics in the war against GamerGate supporters, only bad targets.

Ultimately, Bob's rants on GamerGate started coloring his professional work, which created tensions with The Escapist's management, who were looking to re-position their publication to a more neutral stance in the rapidly escalating cultural conflict, especially with his and other personalities's attraction of an FTC probe into the publication, said tensions ultimately culminated in his firing from the online magazine and the loss of the majority of his influence as a cultural critic and media personality.

To this day, Bob still denies that his steadfast position on Gamergate cost him his job at The Escapist, however, he still refuses to discuss what the actual reasons were, leading observers to assume that it actually was. In addition, Bob still professes that Gamergate is purely a harassment movement against women and minorities attempting to enter or discuss the video games industry. and to date, has not shown any signs of personal reflection on his position.

I'm going to leave it up but LOLCOW is not a good source of information (try googling them). It's like quoting Encyclopedia Dramatica as a source.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Clive and jtsalien

I get the impression that all the people posting constantly on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram have some deep seated issues, especially when I know the person and that their life doesn't really match up to what they're trying to portray. People are chasing likes and upvotes for verification.

I've seen "minorities" (black and Hispanic, Chinese and Black) be racist towards each other.

That demonstrates the opposite of what you think it does. Its anecdotal, but its further evidence of the existence of racial discrimination. Racial discrimination (whether conscious or unconscious) is not behavior exclusive to white people. Racism against a minority is still racism if its being perpetrated by another minority.

Edit: Sorry if this has gone off on a bit of a tangent

Status
Not open for further replies.